Win8 extremely slow!

Elite Cow

Ok firstly here are my specs.15DciR.png

Minecraft runs perfect on my computer but once I am on Tekkit it is slow and laggy. I have changed the max ram isolated to 3.89 and it is still doing this? Is this a WIN8 issue or am I doing something wrong?

yeah those specs seem a bit low for tekkit. tried tekkit lite? also, tried getting/removing optifine and playing around with the settings? I've found optifine can alter your performance a LOT, in both directions, on different settings and systems.

yeah those specs seem a bit low for tekkit. tried tekkit lite? also, tried getting/removing optifine and playing around with the settings? I've found optifine can alter your performance a LOT, in both directions, on different settings and systems.

Now I am using a pack, can I just add optifine to the server and everyone will benefit or do I need to make my own pack and add optifine?

I have changed the max ram isolated to 3.89 and it is still doing this?

I believe the more ram you allocate, the more CPU power is required. Considering your CPU is fairly low end, I'd recommend cutting back ram allocation to 1.5 gigs at most. Also it's probably not a good idea to assign all of your ram like that, you could end up in a situation where your page file is being accessed/used, and that means crappy performance all around.

He's right. The general rule for Java apps is to let them have half of your total memory.

I can get away with allocating 12 out of 16Gb, but that's a spec thing and the parts aren't high end.

He's right. The general rule for Java apps is to let them have half of your total memory.

I can get away with allocating 12 out of 16Gb, but that's a spec thing and the parts aren't high end.

Wow, I'm surprised your system hasn't gone all wonky with that amount of RAM allocated. Basically the more RAM you give it, the more useless garbage collection it'll do, meaning slower minecraft. I stick to 1, sometimes 2 gigs; and, when I'm not too lazy, install optifine as well.

Default vanilla goes no higher than 2GB, but when running Technic Modpacks the extra buffer helps. (Forgotten Nature mod seems to be taking a dump on the world gen system lately, though.)

Also depends on what you have built. A lot of pipes with items flowing through will lag A LOT. If you would use AE instead it would reduce lag significantly. Besides, is this a laptop or desktop? You said computer, but if that means a laptop... Laptop's won't run MC unless its a monster from what I've seen in the wild.

Try to play and open Task Manager and see what the CPU usage is.

Besides, what Java version is installed? (I guess 7, but if it's not, install the latest!)

I will go ahead and add optifine and change my allotted RAM. Here is a screen shot of the process. I find it weird that it is lagging but not even using half of the CPU?

Also, this is a laptop. Brand new server nothing built.

The computer runs fantastic on a normal minecraft server loaded with things. I think it is the Tekkit client.

Java 7:

java.png

Only 40% and still lag?

CPU.png

Prossess.png

I think the ram got reset to 1GB so that's the reasoning for the low CPU usage. It still lagged but I am trying optifine now.

well first of all your cpu is a little underpowered, the above screenshot shows it running at 0.77 Ghz, with a max for that cpu type of 1.8Ghz. now as far as the cpu usage goes, minecraft seems to prefer to run mainly on a single core while using others for garbage collection, servers are even worst, and depending on how you have it showing your cpu usage it could be showing total load across all logical cores, or could be show the total per core. as far as ram goes you can generally run on 1gb of ram without issues

I'm really interested in what you hard disk is doing! Your screenshot tells us it 29% busy (that's a lot in my book, especially on (probably) 4200 rpm hard disks), but it's not busy with MC as far as I can tell.

Also keep in mind that that 40% is 40% over both processor cores. That's around 90% on one core.

As for the 0.77 GHz, maybe get to reading your manual and look in you BIOS to set all powersaving settings to none/off! (And those in Windows as well)