Server has big dig generation + CORE 100%?

Kraytex1

We set up our server about an hour ago.. ORE EVERYWHERE! Seems like BigDigs world generation to me.

Also our core is going NUTS! 100% with 3 players on. i7 3770. Not sure if this is due to MCPC plus so we are just about to restart everything Vanilla.

Hi, the ore is intentional, but it's not big dig's generation (big dig has HUGE veins, hexxit's are normal sized). Most of hexxit's interesting world generation is on the surface, so ordinary ores (p. much everything except for TConstruct ores, which we left down below so you could do a few underground incursions if you want) spawn at the same rate at all y levels, to let you play on the surface where the action is. You're just as likely to find gold, diamonds, redstone, iron, lapis, coal ,and emeralds at y=70 as you are at y=10.

Ok, so we've run Hexxit now without any plugins on a clean install. There are still times when server becomes VERY laggy. At this point we ask everyone to log off.. once everyone is off, they log back on and its gone. Very odd.

Edit:

Just to make that clear.. EVERYONE has to be offline at the same time, and then we get players to log back on.

Yes, complete re-download the pack. New folder, fresh world.. After about 30-60 mins of playing the core gets very high, TPS drops and the only way to resolve the situation is to get player to all log off, and then re-log again after the whole server is empty. The issue is gone then. We have tried this on 3 new maps now. Just to make sure its not a corrupt chunk.

One running theory is that it's some mob AI code doing it- but that'd mean when the mob's chunk unloads, it should be fine. But you're saying that that's probably not the case because 100% of all players have to be offline?

Yep.. Thing that's odd, is I would expect to see some system can't keep up messages. On our first attempt with Hexxit we ran MCPC + and had essentials running.. The TPS after 15 mins with 5 players on was at 5, but no messages on the console. Definite block lag though.

So we decided that perhaps this modpack is more vanilla orientated to give it that extra edge on difficulty. So we wiped the whole folder, and started from scratch. At first, it ran amazing! So players would start exploring which obviously puts some stress on the core, especially with the mobs, but that settles down eventually. So players then just start setting up their homes etc, and from no where comes this lag. Almost as if thousands of entities are on the floor. But after we get EVERYONE off the server, and back on, its gone again.

My theory was similar to your own, perhaps a really bad loop with some advanced AI that's caused the CPU to overload over time. Now that could still be the case. Once the chunk has unloaded, the AI would have to respawn once the players log back on, starting the process over again.

I'll continue to watch the situation, however i'm fairly busy setting up another server atm. Hexxit is kind of a side server for players to play on while we get things up and running.

I might try MCPC plus again at some point, and install plugins one by one. It could very well have been and issue with one plugin rather than MCPC.

Hi, the ore is intentional, but it's not big dig's generation (big dig has HUGE veins, hexxit's are normal sized). Most of hexxit's interesting world generation is on the surface, so ordinary ores (p. much everything except for TConstruct ores, which we left down below so you could do a few underground incursions if you want) spawn at the same rate at all y levels, to let you play on the surface where the action is. You're just as likely to find gold, diamonds, redstone, iron, lapis, coal ,and emeralds at y=70 as you are at y=10.

Ah, wonderful.