I believe I may have found a way to stop BC overflow

NightFire661

Distribution pipes seem to be able to store items while the adjacent inventory is full. Problem with this is it causes massive lagg. Since all those items technically exist in the pipe and are basically sitting there waiting for a free spot.

An alternate way though would be to loop the items back into the inventory that originally held the items. I'll post picks of my setup. But I'm hoping others may have found better solutions that do not involve AE.

I found a way to stop any kind of overflow permanently:

AE and Logistics Pipes.

AE and Logistics Pipes are for end-game, when player have have a steady flow of items and energy. And what about simple things like auto feeding a row of steam engines? Without simple timers and horrible overflow management of basic Buildcraft pipes it's just a mess. I just can't find any reasonable way besides using insertion transport pipes and allowing coal to constantly circulating in pipes.

I have yet to use AE and logistic pipes so please bear that in mind.

In that particular case:

Chest -> redstone engine -> wooden pipe -> cobblestone pipe to the engines -> back to the chest.

Unless you make so much coal the chest is filled up it'll not overflow, and you can still have one last step after the chest to trash stuff.

Chest -> redstone engine -> wooden pipe -> cobblestone pipe to the engines -> back to the chest..

Yes, i'm using this right now(with insertion pipes), but i just don't like items being constantly in BC pipes because it was always buggy, cause lag and sometimes items pop out randomly anyway.

In the early game stage when you're going to have to maintain your set up to a greater degree I'd be more likely to use a bunch of hoppers sat on top of the engines and just throw some more fuel in every so often. To be honest I can't see it taking overly long before you can (and should) be upgrading to a more powerful system of energy generation so spending too much time on what's inevitably going to be a temporary measure is just false economy.

Yes, i'm using this right now(with insertion pipes), but i just don't like items being constantly in BC pipes because it was always buggy, cause lag and sometimes items pop out randomly anyway.

My method doesn't cause items to pop out, and little to no lag. If it isn't set up properly of course it will lag.

Basically have a Distributon pipe on each Engine, with the last in the row having pipes that head back to the original chest. Also, having 1 distribution pipes which controls flow to and from the engines helps even more. Have that one also have a pipe that leads back to the original chest, with that number set to very high. Like 100+. This will allow for the engines to finish up the current items in the inventory without causing too much of an overflow. Especially once the redstone engine sending out the items speeds up!