Starting out. Help please?

MrTwinkeh

Start of to build a cover and get food and tools, then get some weapons and armor so you can go inside those dungeons, castles and other things that you can find out in the world and kill those bastards inside there and take there loot!

Thats what i did, no guide, no videos

Don't go into the battle tower until you have at least one decent weapon and a piece of diamond or better armor.

EDIT: The battle tower is the rather tall tower that has mob spawners and a chest on each floor. The loot is amazing, some of the best in the game, but it is also arguably one of the most difficult early-game dungeons.

Do what you would in vanilla for a while. Then take a look at your book, and build some of the stuff in it. Then seek out danger and excitement! For the funny things you find in chests, too many to count, just look them up in NEI or at worst look for info on them online. Various semi-tricky/undocumented stuff I've found out:

* Legend gear quivers don't have the recipe in NEI, since it's the 0-arrow quiver there and it's the 1-arrow quiver you make. Just put leather in a V-shape with an arrow in it. Might want to use the Better Storage quiver anyway.

* For bombs (similar issue), leather in U-shape with bomb in middle.

* Many weapons have hold-right click charging effects of various sorts. Experiment.

* Scythes double your harvests.

* You can't cheese in dimensional doors dungeons now. If you dig through the roof/wall, scary new mob will spot you and pull you into limbo.

* You need a diamond pickaxe to mine meteors. Mining meteors underwater sucks, by the way.

You can mine meteors with a stone pick, it's annoyingly slow. (Don't know about K-meteors.) For underwater bring dirt and for deeper water sand. Fill in the water above the meteor pieces and 1 block outside, then dig the dirt & sand out of the way. An ice meteor pick and helmet let you mine underwater fast. Water breathing for the helmet and fast underwater mining for the pick.

Better storage quivers are crap, loading them up is a pain and any arrows you recover or loot from a chest don't seem to want to auto load, also a bow with infinity will still drain arrows from it for some reason, if you can get a legend gear one hold onto it, those are really nice. Meteor gear is decent to start with, and making a meteor shield/protector thingy is pretty vital for your base of operations other than that, explore experiment and expand.

Don't go into the battle tower until you have at least one decent weapon and a piece of diamond or better armor.

EDIT: The battle tower is the rather tall tower that has mob spawners and a chest on each floor. The loot is amazing, some of the best in the game, but it is also arguably one of the most difficult early-game dungeons.

Bah, they're not THAT hard. I took out a couple of the towers with iron armor and an iron rapier. The tower guardians were a piece of cake, just hopping in and out of the doorway.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I started playing and killed a poisonous blinding pirate ship protector (?) and I got a meteorite chestplate. I made an iron broadsword quickly and raided one of the huge pirate ships. Several dead pirates and rigged cannons later, I blew up the entire ship and took all the loot. I raided yet another ship, before electric staff-ing my way across the landscape and finding a battle tower, which I flew up with my electric staff. Took all the loot, and now I pretty much have all the end game items. It was pretty easy, but thanks for the advice. In the end I had full bandit and a lot of ninja daggers, about two stacks of diamonds and a magic mirror (yet to know what it does). As well as a sword that opens a dimensional door, as well as a s*** ton of other stuff.

Bah, they're not THAT hard. I took out a couple of the towers with iron armor and an iron rapier. The tower guardians were a piece of cake, just hopping in and out of the doorway.

Really? I must just be really bad at Minecraft.

Be careful with that sword, it's an amazing piece, but it can tear a hole in the fabric of space and time.

About that... I've exited dimensional dungeons three times, twice through Limbo and one through a wooden door. Two of these times I've been dropped in lava pools - the last time through walking through a wooden door and being teleported into the MIDDLE of a vast lava sea in the nether, 1500m from spawn (I survived and made my way back home, but that's another story!)

Dimensional dungeons used to be a safe and easy way to gain redstone, glowstone and all sorts of chest goodies. Warning: They are not any longer!! They are death traps.

They're meant to be challenging, yes. But those Monoliths are freaky as heck and will cause problems as well in Limbo.

Better to bring a pick and spare stone, then try to find a way to break the traps from the inside.