Server upgrade

Prototype958

Hello again everyone,

Got a few questions regarding upgrading my server to Tekkit 1.1.5(Think that's what the latest was).

First off, I've seen a lot of posts elsewhere saying it's not worth it, it's too unstable, inconsistant, broken, etc. I know it's still in early phases and things are still being patched, but is it worth the upgrade? I feel like I've done just about all there is in the current version and I'd love some new toys to play around with and harrass my buddies with.

Secondly if it is worth it... How do I actually upgrade. I haven't been able to find much documentation on the steps/utilities required. I'm new to hosting and I've never upgraded anything before so if anyone knows of a tutorial/step by step guide, or is willing to walk me through it, I would really appreciate the help.

I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but I read a whole "flame" log basically of how 1.1.5 "ruined everything". I can't remember how old the posts were, but no more then a month, March at the latest. Some of the stuff was a little scary, but I'm sure most of it was exaggerated grossly. There's a lot of negative about 1.1.5 out there if you look, that's why I'm a little nervous to pull the trigger, but I already value the opinions of the people here which is why I asked what everyone here thought of 1.1.5.

yeah have to agree its completely stable we been running it since it came out and havent so much as had a hic up cept the falling through floors but we had that in 1.0.6 too so hardly noticeable now

and as far as upgrading is considered its pretty straight forward i think just delete your mystcraft ages i heard that makes it go smoother i could be wrong though

anyway then download the lastest server and move your world and configs over and batta bing batta boom im sure i missed somthing there but thats the general idea

of course thats just the tekkit server if your running mcpc+ or somthing else then theres probably more to it

we added mcpc+ after updating didnt have it before and imo way worth it makes things so much easier

Haha. Ok so this is funny now I have a question that fits in this thread.

So i tried updating my sever (From 1.0.6) everything worked perfectly. But... The sever gave me the warning "Did the sever overload" And it goes on. I jumped on the sever and it was super lagy. About five seconds of lag or more, it is unplayable. I have tried everything I know multiply ways of updating it. I think It could be with the ore regen for the new mods. I have no Mystcraft worlds at this time.

I then started up the 1.0.6 sever and everything was fine... I am all out of ideas so any help would be great.

The computer the sever is running on is a Win7 64bit 8gbs ram I7 2.80GHz So it has the power... It has been running severs since around Tekkit 3

I am fresh out of ideas, any help would be awesome.

java -Xmx4G -Xms3G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

^The text in the launch.bat file^

The weird thing is I ran a the 1.1.5 sever with out the world file, I used the same sever settings and everything. Just left out the world folder. And it worked fine... So it must be something in my world.

I deleted all forcedchunks files and demdoors worlds, and it didn't changed a thing.

EDIT:

The sever only uses 1.5gb of ram no matter how much I give it.

I wonder... did your world on 1.0.6 have any sewage and sludge lakes? 1.1.5 seems to have a lot of them by default. You might want to try playing with the config, before starting it, and turn off the lake generation. It is in the mine factory reloaded, common config, in the powercrystals folder. About half way down. This is the line:

# Whether or not to generate MFR lakes during map generation

B:WorldGen.MFRLakes=true

Change the true to false to turn them off. Might be trying to generate the lakes and causing some issues due to that. Worth a shot at least...

other things that could be causing it: Minecraft changes to 1.5.2, a transparency fix was removed from forge to free up memory, and several api's were removed due to redundancy.

java -Xmx4G -Xms3G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

^The text in the launch.bat file^

The weird thing is I ran a the 1.1.5 sever with out the world file, I used the same sever settings and everything. Just left out the world folder. And it worked fine... So it must be something in my world.

I deleted all forcedchunks files and demdoors worlds, and it didn't changed a thing.

EDIT:

The sever only uses 1.5gb of ram no matter how much I give it.

Your world is using 1.5 Gb because you have 32 bit Java installed. Only 64 can use over.

I turned the MFR lakes off and nothing changed.

Alright, it was worth a shot anyways...

Another thing you could try. Pick up parts of your base's machinery and store them. I'd try the mfr stuff, like harvesters, for starters. Place them in a chest and put them back where they go once you get the server running again. I'll look at your videos again and think if anything else might be causing an issue due to design changes between versions.

Another thing I heard was something involving "moving lava" that I think was causing a lot of lag issues. if you had a lot of non-source block lava in the nether or something like that I think it was breaking the world with lag. Could be mistaken on this one too though. Still new to this, but something worth looking into if you haven't isolated the problem yet.