Tekkit, can't allocate more than 1Gb on 64-bit java/machine help?

michael noel

Ok, so the title says it all pretty much. I have 6Gb of RAM and I seem to only be able to go up to 1Gb on my launcher. Now before you say either:

"Do you have 64-bit Java installed?", "Is your computer a 64-bit machine?" or "You probably have the wrong version or two versions of Java installed."

Yes, I have 64-bit Java installed properly, yes my computer is a 64-bit machine and no, I don't have two different versions of Java.

I just spent about 2-3 hours trying to figure out how to fix this issue and I've gone through a full uninstallation than reinstallation of Java. So I'd like to know what might be the cause of this issue.

guess what you must have done something wrong along the way cause as far as i know the only cause of this issue is 32bit sys or 32 bit java so my advice start from scratch delete the technic folder delete your java installation and start fresh first java then technic and see if that works

oh and maybe throw a restart in there after each change ie after you delete everything restart

after each install restart

one other question are you sure you dont have 2 versions of java and if so how did you check to verify

i recognize that this can be very frustrating so just keep cool and im sure we can get this figured out

guess what you must have done something wrong along the way cause as far as i know the only cause of this issue is 32bit sys or 32 bit java so my advice start from scratch delete the technic folder delete your java installation and start fresh first java then technic and see if that works

oh and maybe throw a restart in there after each change ie after you delete everything restart

after each install restart

one other question are you sure you dont have 2 versions of java and if so how did you check to verify

i recognize that this can be very frustrating so just keep cool and im sure we can get this figured out

I used the "Java -version" in cmd to check my version and I went through the "Uninstall program" section to verify I only had 1 Java installed.

Erg... I found out what the problem was, at least I hope. I was using google chrome originally, and people said it was a 32-bit browser so I used IE10 instead to install Java, turns out my computer was using IE10 32-bit edition for some reason...

Gonna install the 64-bit edition, then I'll reinstall java 7 64-bit and see if it works.

Ok, found how to solve it.

My Internet Explorer WAS running 32-bit, had to change my security settings, restart the computer, reinstall Java, restore my security settings and restart again, now it works. I might make a guide on how to fix this now that I've done it for other people who have the same problem...

Lemme tell you that if you F-it-up, you aren't going to stumble on how to fix it by accident.

• 2 weeks later...