How to set-up a Tekkit server WITHOUT Hamachi?

All the tutorials I found were either for Hamachi or they didn't work. I am currently clueless on how to make a tekkit server and I really look forward to playing Tekkit with my friends. Can anyone tell me how to make a server? I already portforwarded to Port 25565 and set it to TCP/UCP, so the port-forwarding step should be out of the way. If you think you can help me or if you just have a link that could help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

you don't have to set the server IP in the config file

make sure in hamachi you set your friends as "trusted", allow their IPs through your software firewall and that should be it

to test that your server is up you should both be able to connect through 127.0.0.1 and your hamachi IP address. You might get firewall alerts for both of those connections as well.

You uh... seem to have rolled a 1 on your reading comprehension there, buddy.

Talking to me? Cuz if you are, you can read between the lines there, buddy ;)

If not then I'll spell it out: There's no reason to not use hamachi, and if you're behind a router it's the easiest solution.

Besides what I suggested if he's already forwarded the port, is connecting to his external IP and is still having connection issues, my best guess is it's a firewall problem blocking their IP's from connecting.

But yeah more specific info for what you've actually tried will help.

If not then I'll spell it out: There's no reason to not use hamachi, and if you're behind a router it's the easiest solution.

hahahahaha

That's good for a laugh, because port forwarding on a network you control is hard.

OP:

If you install the basic server and don't modify the server-ip and port in the server properties, you should be able to just port forward 25565 to your computer and it should work when someone connects to your external IP (google my ip to find out the external).

Questions: Did you find out your most recent external IP when trying to get your friends to connect (it could change depending on your ISP)? Check the port forwarding to ensure it's going to your computer or that your computer still has the same internal IP on your network (also can change when your computer renews its internal IP)?

If that doesn't work, make sure anti-virus and windows defender and any other software isn't blocking 25565 (or another port of your choosing) on your computer. If you can run your server and connect through "localhost" then your server is running fine but something is blocking outside connections so you just have to work your way down the line to see what's stopping it. Hopefully, this won't be too problematic as long as you consider everything that can influence your incoming and outgoing connections on that port.

If you provide more information on your current methods and attempts as well as relevant software that may interfere, you'd probably get a faster response.

In addition to Yuriy, If you are indeed forwarding the ports on your router correctly then make sure your computer (you only need to forward TCP) has a static IP and the ports are forwarded to that IP. If you have DHCP then each time you reboot you are (most likely) going to get a new IP.

Changing your IP: XP Vista/7.

Check http://portforward.com/ and track down your router. to make sure you're doing it correctly.

In addition to Yuriy, If you are indeed forwarding the ports on your router correctly then make sure your computer (you only need to forward TCP) has a static IP and the ports are forwarded to that IP. If you have DHCP then each time you reboot you are (most likely) going to get a new IP.

Changing your IP: XP Vista/7.

Check http://portforward.com/ and track down your router. to make sure you're doing it correctly.

Agreed, if you pull from DHCP, your IP is likely to change each refresh. For me it's not every restart but if my computer stays off for at least a few days. Also, my router allows me to route to my computer's name rather than its internal IP so even if my IP changes, the port forwarding rule remains in effect. Other routers are sure to vary.

• 3 weeks later...

Make one, it's not hard and you can find the contents and instructions just about everyone on MC forums and probably here.

Put this in a *.txt file:

java -Xmx7G -Xms2G -jar Tekkit.jar nogui

pause

Then change the Xmx and Xms variables to what you want and rename the extension to *.bat.

Feel free to PM me if you can't get it working. I don't like to use Hamachi only because my internet is much faster than routing it through their servers, however, if you have no control over port forwarding on the router (which it seems like you don't have that issue) then use Hamachi. The setup is beyond simple. Just to recap on what everyone has said:

Non-Hamachi

Step 1: Port forwarding

Step 2: Run server

Step 3: Log in with the ip as "localhost" to connect to your own network/server

Step 4: If step 3 works, google "my ip" to get your external ip address and give that to your friend for him to log in to the server

Step 5: If step 3 does not work, repeat steps 1-3.

Hamachi

Step 1: You and friend download Hamachi

Step 2: Have friend connect to your Hamachi group

Step 3: Copy the IP that hamachi shows above the group into your server.properties file next to "server-ip="

Step 4: Start server and game

Step 5: Using said IP address, log onto your own server

Step 6: Give said IP address to friend and have him log in