Is 180 mods too many?

Amaxter

I recently made a giant custom modpack. And I don't kid when I say giant. With about 180 mods, 340 MB of space the modpack.zip takes up, do you think it's a bit much or is it fine? Lag is sort of taken care of with Optifine, but is it too much bad? I'm just asking cause I'm curious, and wondering if anyone has any bigger packs they've made or know of. Kind of a silly question, but would just like to know if anyone thinks I need to trim it down, thanks.

• Moderators

Depends on the mods, if they add more mobs or worldgen structures or anything that can cause more loading time which equals lag. Not everything can be taken care of by Optifine.

I suspect that the plus++ pack by SA forums has way more than 180...

But do I think it's too much? Hell no! If they fit whatever theme you desire, then keep it or add more

Also another more serious question. SInce my file was too big to host on DropBox I am hosting it on Ubuntu One now and when people try to update the pack it says "Error Unzipping Modpack". Can anyone help please?

You might have a problem with tick rate on your modpack, and also have compatibility problems. But the only way to find this out is to actually play the pack. I'd suggest going creative and stress testing the SHIT out of it - build complex multi-mod contraptions, try to think up of weird ways to handle liquids, lots of items, power, etc. See if anything breaks or slows down your game.

what os do you have

The OP's problem is OS independent.

(Regardless, he mentioned using Ubuntu one to distribute the pack, so my guess would be Ubuntu.)

Or were you referring to this post?

I tried to have a look but I cant find a program that will extract the folder (win rar ect)

Also another more serious question. SInce my file was too big to host on DropBox I am hosting it on Ubuntu One now and when people try to update the pack it says "Error Unzipping Modpack". Can anyone help please?

Part of me wonders if this pack is simply too big for the technic launcher's unpacker to handle. Does anyone know of any kind of theoretical limit for the launcher unpacker?

• 2 weeks later...