How much RAM should I allocate?

Amaxter

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 3.1 Ghz quad core intel i5 sandy bridge. Also someone told me that allocating too much RAM isn't good either as the server doesn't know what to do with it all. Is this true?

RAM is a bit like short to memory you can't have to much of it but there is a point where it just becomes useless.

Yeah, but say with a Tekkit-sized (and performance similar) modpack how many slots do you think I could have with 5 GB? I've heard the general rule for vanilla Minecraft is 1 GB per 20 slots, but with a MCPC+ server running several plugins and mods, how many players could I handle before the TPS and performance start dipping down hard?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to give you an indication, my mod count of my pack is 106, and I have about 12-13 plugins on the server. With 4 GB allocated, once it gets over ~15 players online, it starts lagging. To 'future-proof' my server, and reduce the time I spent managing it, I have since allocated 10 GB of RAM and now it gets at least 30 players without any performance loss. My modpack however, is at the extreme end of the performance requirements, and you should take this example as the maximum you should ever need, except in exceptional circumstances. I really don't know what's going to happen when I update the server to 1.5.2 incarnation of my modpack; the 1.5.2 version has 135 mods.....

Wow, my mod pack used to be like yours. I had 180 mods in 1.5.2 at one point and the startup time was at least three minutes on most computers. It worked, and it was awesome, but it was really unstable and CPU demanding. Now I have a 1.6.4 pack with 75 mods and it runs like butter.