Forestry fixes?

I think that Sengir would try to detect the current installation directory of the mod and if it returns the tekkit/technic directory, if this is the case would it not be easy to just change the statement in the mod?

If such it would be. The technic team will not be cracking the makeshift-DRM from what I read so you will have to do it yourself.

That is correct. As long as no one blabs about this it should work and all should be right with the world.

Sengir really can't complain about the Technic team for this without looking like a whiny idiot since they aren't making the patch.

Sengir really can't complain about the Technic team for this without looking like a whiny idiot since they aren't making the patch.

I just mean the drama vortex will swirl open and spew claims that technic users are vile and cracking his "Technic killswitch" like a pirate does DRM and by you or the other mods not deleting the fix that is a clear sign that technic supports the patch. Then Cheapsatan and Beelzebubmix will rejoice as their evil pack continues to defy the wishes of the almighty sirsengir... or something like that. I lost my copy of that book.

(That is my attempt at irrational thinking that will likely surface in a few people in the post-patch future.)

I just mean the drama vortex will swirl open and spew claims that technic users are vile and cracking his "Technic killswitch" like a pirate does DRM and by you or the other mods not deleting the fix that is a clear sign that technic supports the patch. Then Cheapsatan and Beelzebubmix will rejoice as their evil pack continues to defy the wishes of the almighty sirsengir... or something like that. I lost my copy of that book.

(That is my attempt at irrational thinking that will likely surface in a few people in the post-patch future.)

Technic Pack according to MCForums:

c5Wh2.png?1?8833

This entire situation amuses me more than it infuriates me. My new name for him is Sengirchild. Not original by any stretch, but hey. I'm not a poet.

(Yes, I am working on the patch as we speak. Got home not too long ago.)

So... jakj... it's cool that you're all eager to get this patch out and help everyone out, but I'm wondering about your level of dedication to this effort... This may become an arms race of sorts not unlike the anti-piracy measures that have evolved over the last decade or two in PC games, where you patch it up, he writes new, more secure protection, and you have to repatch that etc and so forth. Are you going to want to keep up with every version he releases to find and undo his protections every time? At some point one of you may tire of the effort and give up...

So... jakj... it's cool that you're all eager to get this patch out and help everyone out, but I'm wondering about your level of dedication to this effort... This may become an arms race of sorts not unlike the anti-piracy measures that have evolved over the last decade or two in PC games, where you patch it up, he writes new, more secure protection, and you have to repatch that etc and so forth. Are you going to want to keep up with every version he releases to find and undo his protections every time? At some point one of you may tire of the effort and give up...

Oh, but he doesn't have to know that jakj is making this patch.

After all, the thing it fixes only affects the Technic Pack. So there would be no reason for anyone else to be using it, and thus it only needs to be mentioned on this forum.

Unless he browses this forum suspicious that something like this is happening?

There is not a whole lot of protection if im right, the only thing he can do is detect directorys etc and act accordingly.

Oh, but he doesn't have to know that jakj is making this patch.

After all, the thing it fixes only affects the Technic Pack. So there would be no reason for anyone else to be using it, and thus it only needs to be mentioned on this forum.

Unless he browses this forum suspicious that something like this is happening?

We need a codename for the patch then.

There is not a whole lot of protection if im right, the only thing he can do is detect directorys etc and act accordingly.

He could require you get start using those old DOS style code cards "To play type what is in column 3 row 7". XP

I could not possibly give less of a fuck. Observe:

1) If he pulls the copyright card on me, I will respond with "Fool! You have activated my..." (No.) I will distribute in a binary-patch form that is legal under everything up to and including international copyright treaty and the DMCA.

2) If he pulls the "you're a part of Technic, Technic is doing this", the Technic admins can just say "Oh yeah? Watch this." and ban me. Mission Impossible style.

3) If he pulls the "The community won't respect you because you don't respect me" card, I simply won't care. What could I possibly gain from a community that respects me that I can't otherwise?

As to the arms race, I'm no white-hat hacker, but I am a bus driver. Do you know what bus drivers learn? Patience. We also learn ways of punishing others (like bad drivers or passengers) by using that patience. I drive in circles all day, and I get paid by the hour, not the mile: I can simply, calmly, and easily outlast any effort to piss me off or defeat my purpose.

So yeah. So long as Minecraft is made in an easily-decompilable language like Java, he's just wasting his time.