2 Quick Steam engine questions

BluePriest

Everything I have read said 2 things.

1, steam engines can be combined to become more effecient

2, steam engines can explode

Is both of this information correct? I am working on going to space, have my refinery running, but it is pumping in the fuel a lot faster than it is pumping out. I want to add 3-4 more steam engines to make it refine the fuel faster, but I am concerned about it blowing up. I went into creative mode and put 6 steam engines in a row attached to a pulverizer, and have just been waiting, and there hasnt been an explosion yet.

They seem bugged, the water counter drops below zero :P

What normally should happen is that the engines "break" and that they have to repaired with a wrench to make them work again.

Multiple engines can be connected to a single pipe, producing energy up to 32 MJ/t without capping the output power. Wooden pipes cannot connect to further wooden pipes; a normal conductive pipe must be used instead.

http://minecraftbuildcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Conductive_Pipes

So yes, you can combine engines to become more efficient when procucing power. So you can send uptp 1024 Mj total in one singel pipe if you connect them to a daimond conductive pipe.

I assumed he meant putting engines on other engines to make them more efficient some how

I went into creative mode and put 6 steam engines in a row attached to a pulverizer

, and no hooking them up to conductive pipe doesn't change the efficiency of the engines, it may better use the power but the engines don't produce any more. And if you really wanna be pedantic you can use redstone conduit and send well over 2000mj/tick.

I am at the moment pumping 800MJ throu my phased conductive pipe powering the entire server throu one frequenzey. Now ppl just have to set public 10 and they will get power instead of knowing a bunch of different frequenzy's. If I am to use tesserect using a storage unit it will bottleneck at 100Mj and have much more powerloss throu the tesserect. And with with BC pipe I can build in the conductive pipe in the wall and hide it with facade. So now we just place the machine that needs power againt the walls and they will get power. In everyway BC pipes > liquiducts and redstone conduit except when it comes to transport sewege from sewer to composter. With liquiducts I can run around 2-3 more composters at full speed then I can with BC pipes when using 16 sewers.

This is not a BC vs TE. I use what gives me most bang from and now BC is better in most ways when I comes to bigger systems but when in configs I get more of TE ofc I use them.

I hear where you are coming from, but a few things to keep in mind:

1. I have heard that tesseracts output a max of 100 MJ PER SIDE

2. if this is your server, you can configure the tesseracts to have a higher output or less loss

3. tesseracts are more convenient than phased pipes, in that you can name the frequency (much nicer than trying to remember what number is what, especially with liquids, when you have 2 frequencies for every liquid)

I like the config better on tesserect but still i cant see the point of using multiple tesseracts when I can solve the problem with one pipe. I hear your argument are not based on performace but based on you have choosed one system over another and build solutions or change the config to compensate the downside instead of using the tools you have to solve it.

And another thing why BC pipes > TE are gates. You cant put gates on redstone or liquiduct's or pipewire. I have put up alot of good arguments but barley have seen anyone make a good case why TE are better then just that ppl like them. You can do more with BC pipes and you can make smarter solutions with BC pipes but TE's have theire use too.

only kinda. It's more because of issues I've experienced in the past using phased pipes, and how much nicer tesseracts have been to me :P I do think that they shouldn't have a max capacity, especially if they cost a percentage.

I ME busses wherever possible, and only use BC pipes to move items to a chest to be sucked into my ME network, so I've never messed with gates.