Dev Builds and the Launcher

t1m3l3ss

Question

Broken dev builds should be linked with the login in the launcher. I'm surly not a java geek, but it could look like this:

IF [loginname] = [a_login_name_of_a_admin] AND login = success THEN download

ELSE Disallow

Or things like that, you should see what i mean.

You can't expect, that ppl don't try to run the latest version. This is where the problem is, because then mostly it fails and they spam the boards.

I think it's in the agreement with the admin(s), that such fail reports should be held as low as possible. Or do you moderators really like that you alwas have to say the same thing over and over again? Without payment?? :P

What do you think of it?

9 answers to this question

What do you think of it?

Nah. There are plenty of technicians who arent admins who play the dev builds.

Besides, most of the people who have taken enough time to know how the launcher works aren't here posting crappy bug reports.

It's the people who refuse to update java or read stickies that cause the mods so much greif.

Nah. There are plenty of technicians who arent admins who play the dev builds.

Besides, most of the people who have taken enough time to know how the launcher works aren't here posting crappy bug reports.

It's the people who refuse to update java or read stickies that cause the mods so much greif.

agreed, i love the dev builds, because it gives me a chance to see what the next version of technic will be like. I also like the idea that i feel like i am contributing to the community by reporting any bugs that i find :).

I didn't really mean the dev builds wich are able to be running but those, wich are mostly the latest, wich are broken due to the mods, wich arent updated yet.

I mean only and JUST ONLY those dev builds, wich are broke :)

Jay, I agree you, but I believe there are soooo many noobs, wich just want to play 1.2.5 or whatever and spam down the forums with bug reports.

I'm not here for so long, but i think its always like this with new versions.

But whatever, just a thought.

I just try to come over with suggestions how to tidy up the SSP/SMP/Bug Reports forum, cause something HAS to be wrong, when so much ppl spam the same sh*t over and over again.

Well nevermind :)

I think he's mostly talking about the 7.0.0 build that doesn't even boot due to missing files. even I'm not sure why it's listed in the launcher at this point, not that I'm really in the loop as far as the dev side of thing goes anyway.

Because it's there for us to work on it, not for people to play. Most of you are talking about the dev build like it should work like the stable release version. Dev builds are made available to everyone AS IS. You play them at your own risk, because you want to take a peep at what we're working on. The official statement was to backup your game if you wanted to try out a devbuild but to understand that many a time they will be bug riddled or broken. It's entirely on you to heed our warning or not. They are not there to jump in and play, they are just there for previewing changes and seeing what we're working on, nothing else. Sometimes bug reports are useful, usually they aren't. If we need bug reports we usually make a place for them to go.

I think he's mostly talking about the 7.0.0 build that doesn't even boot due to missing files.

Rightyright.

Cheap Shot, perhaps it would be possible just to let a warning box (OK, Cancel) be(ing? xD) popped up, with something like "Borders of Technic Responsibility, (NO FORUM SUPPORT!!) update or cancel?"

So that it's really really REALLY obvious?

Would be so cool and the forums would (hopefully) got cleaned up a little... Perhaps my idea before was a little bit too extreme xD

Rightyright.

Cheap Shot, perhaps it would be possible just to let a warning box (OK, Cancel) be(ing? xD) popped up, with something like "Borders of Technic Responsibility, (NO FORUM SUPPORT!!) update or cancel?"

So that it's really really REALLY obvious?

Would be so cool and the forums would (hopefully) got cleaned up a little... Perhaps my idea before was a little bit too extreme xD

it's a dev build. the warning is kind of in the name.