I'm getting a new computer.

Shikimakunara

So I am getting a new computer, my friend said i should get a cheap graphics card because it is cheaper to cool but I want a GTX Titan or GTX 690 so I don't need to make costly upgrades to my computer for many years.

Any thoughts?

I think your friend is a tit, a good graphics card is essential for a good gaming computer. A titan is a bit much though, but I can't say what you should get without knowing your budget.

So I am getting a new computer, my friend said i should get a cheap graphics card because it is cheaper to cool but I want a GTX Titan or GTX 690 so I don't need to make costly upgrades to my computer for many years.

Any thoughts?

You're friend clearly does not play games.A graphics card is one of the most important parts that determines how well your computer plays most games.

Any thoughts?

Uhhhhhhh...your friend is a twat, to put it nicely. Graphics card is going to be what largely dictates performance, and you typically, in the majority of situations, don't need extra cooling for them. A Titan is seriously overkill, however, if you are willing to pay that much, the 690 would leave a LOT of time before you would need an upgrade.

We need info on your budget though to be able to give you some relavant reccomendations

A Titan is completely unnecessary and very overpriced. I have a GTX 670, and it's more than enough for all my needs. You should just go for the 690. Don't waste more money than you have to.

A Titan isn't overpriced. It's widely considered the best gpu on earth. and it cost the same as a 690....

A Titan isn't overpriced. It's widely considered the best gpu on earth. and it cost the same as a 690....

It's still over a thousand dollars. That's way overpriced, and I don't care what you compare it to. I find in general that buying the LATEST RELEASED HARDWARE is just stupid - no games will be able to utilize it properly, and you just waste money.

It's still over a thousand dollars. That's way overpriced, and I don't care what you compare it to. I find in general that buying the LATEST RELEASED HARDWARE is just stupid - no games will be able to utilize it properly, and you just waste money.

It's not up to the games to utilize a Titan. Drivers are supposed to do that, and the drivers for a Titan are just as good as any other Nvidia card. Also it's $999.99, Technically under $1000.

It's not up to the games to utilize a Titan. Drivers are supposed to do that, and the drivers for a Titan are just as good as any other Nvidia card. Also it's $999.99, Technically under $1000.

Assumptions of hardware capabilities made by the developers will restrict the maximum performance a game can take from a piece of hardware. Drivers cannot change that.

"Max" setting on a game a few years old are the midrange of today. And low today is far beyond what the developers of 10 years ago ever dreamed was possible.

Benchmarking software is be able to utilize the latest and the greatest, that's their job. But a game developer must target the largest possible audience as quickly as possible, and if that means limiting the high range so they can push out a month earlier then so be it.

Yeah, you tell that to all those DX9 games that are stuck in 2003. Drivers are a big part of utilizing the graphics card. But a game has to be built specifically to be able to even draw that much power. I've said it before, my 670 can handle almost anything I throw at it. I was able to play Metro Last Light at close to max settings at 40-50 FPS while live streaming it at 1280x720 30fps. Buying a Titan right now is simply not worth it, even if you want to play Battlefield 4 (I was able to get the beta to run at a stable 60fps if I turned the ugly ambient occlusion off). Especially considering that soon AMD releases their new cards with Mantle support, that might drop prices on many of Nvidia's top cards to keep up with the competition.

mmo-champion.com has a section each month where they evaluate one setup for up to 6 price-classes by the site-admin and with input from the community. For a layman, a complete setup endorsed by a knowledgable community is imho preferable, because there is a lot to consider when buying a PC, though the biggest mistake you can make is buying a readily-assembled one off the shelf.

1. A PC with components optimized for each other will always be faster than some retail piece of s***

2. There is a lot to consider when designing your own system, but people have likely already made these considerations for you. Go look for these people. (German: computerbase, international: mmo-champion) - Does the Mainboard endorse the RAM you chose? Should I really combine my Intel CPU with an Radeon GPU? Can my power source give off enough electrical power? Does my mainboard have all required slots? The list goes on.

3. At least in western Europe, buying the components alone rather than a system off the shelf is significantly more cost efficient. I once saw my system being advertised by a renowned retailer, but the price was 100% higher^^

PS: get new friends.