Best Gaming Laptops?

Amaxter

So currently I own an iMac and MacBook Air and am aiming to sell both for about $2300 total so I can buy a great gaming laptop. This would be my main or only computer, so I want to make a good decision. As I'm in the $2300 price range does anyone know a good laptop I could get for around that? I want a big display, but I don't want something super heavy. 16 GB of RAM and a good quad core i7 Haswell processor along with some sort of 700 series Nvidia graphics card would be nice. What do you guys recommend I get?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've got $2.3k to drop on a laptop, I'd definitely splurge on a Razer Blade Pro. The one with a 128GB SSD is right around that price. Getting one with a 512GB SSD will bump the price up to about $2.8k.

The older model (sans the 'Pro' moniker) with a 512GB SSD is about the same price as the RBP with a 128GB SSD.

E: Alternatively, if portability isn't a big deal, ASUS makes some great 'desktop replacement' laptops. Or, if you'd rather spend that money on a great desktop, I recommend using PCPartPicker to choose your build as doing that is far cheaper than buying a prebuilt desktop.

Yeah, I don't know about ASUS since I don't like their displays (I'd like 1080p OLED), which is why I'd like an Alienware. However, they're terribly overpriced, so I guess I'll take a look at Razer Blade.

Alienware is both terrible and overpriced. ASUS generally does 1080 or 720p, but I don't think anyone makes laptops with OLED screens.

Alienware does, and so does Razer. The problem with Razer is that for the same price I could get a pretty kickass Alienware for I get an ok gaming laptop with a weird touch screen trackpad that I don't want. Laugh at me if you wish, but I've been considering the new MacBook Pro they announced today. It's actually not that over priced, and has a higher resolution than practically any other consumer laptop out there, as well as being slim and sexy. I could bootcamp Windows onto it. Anyone agree?

Before I delve into the stupidity of buying anything Apple-produced, both at all and for gaming specifically, I'd like you to consider buying a proper stationary computer instead. You can get MUCH better parts, especially with that kind of budget. Also, much easier to repair, upgrade and overclock, not to speak of the cooling problems a laptop will have/eventually get!

Why do you need überportable high-end gaming? For 2300 you could get a proper gaming desktop AND a laptop powerful enough to run stuff like Minecraft, aswell as Openoffice and such programs that are practical to have on the fly. A gamin laptop isn't very practical to carry around either, and tends to break easier. Seriously, a gaming laptop is a bad investment, and a waste of money.

And a desktop isn't immovable, if you're planning for some LANing, which is the only reason I could think of that anyone would want a powerful laptop.

For 2300 you could get a proper gaming desktop AND a laptop powerful enough to run stuff like Minecraft, aswell as Openoffice and such programs that are practical to have on the fly.

You haven't really adressed why this isn't the ideal plan, sure sounds like one to me.

You haven't really adressed why this isn't the ideal plan, sure sounds like one to me.

???

A gaming desktop combined with a reasonably good laptop IS the ideal plan, you get all the power needed for gaming, and you have a laptop to take around with you for non-gaming computer stuff! No-one needs high-end gaming when on the move, you don't whip out Skyrim to waste some time at a hotel, that's what portables are for! (Or, ya know, books and such)

I don't WANT a desktop, that's my point. I'm not looking for suggestions on getting a desktop or laptop, I want a good laptop plain and simple. Not some crappy $600 windows 8 notebook, if anyone has any LAPTOP suggestions then feel free to tell me. I want a gaming machine I can take to my friends house for sleepovers every once in a while. When talking about friends playing something like Minecraft or Borderlands 2 side by side beats Skype any day.

???

A gaming desktop combined with a reasonably good laptop IS the ideal plan, you get all the power needed for gaming, and you have a laptop to take around with you for non-gaming computer stuff! No-one needs high-end gaming when on the move, you don't whip out Skyrim to waste some time at a hotel, that's what portables are for! (Or, ya know, books and such)

My bad, I quoted your post in response to Amaxter. Looking back that can't have made the most sense.

Alienware does, and so does Razer. The problem with Razer is that for the same price I could get a pretty kickass Alienware for I get an ok gaming laptop with a weird touch screen trackpad that I don't want. Laugh at me if you wish, but I've been considering the new MacBook Pro they announced today. It's actually not that over priced, and has a higher resolution than practically any other consumer laptop out there, as well as being slim and sexy. I could bootcamp Windows onto it. Anyone agree?

The Blade is far from merely "OK". Seriously, if you're dead set on buying a two thousand dollar laptop, buy one. Alienware is, I guarantee you, far lower quality than Razer. As for the 'new' Macbook Pro...seriously? Apple is far more expensive than an Alienware, and for that matter, isn't nearly as powerful at the same price point.

The ONLY macbook worthy of any sort of "gaming" title is the most expensive one that has NV GPU and costs $2.6k. Anything else is just useless waste of space for gaming. Also, even with that you will not be able to play on the monitor's native resolution with any reasonable performance.

"Gaming laptop" is an oxymoron, no matter how much marketing divisions try to convince you otherwise. This comes due to natural problems such as heat dissipation during high CPU/GPU load, as well as problems with battery life (unless you are willing to connect to a power outlet or else restrict your gaming sessions to 20-30 minutes between recharges).

That said, if you want a laptop that you can play games on, there is no need to spend an inordinate amount of money. Get a moderately specced one, which will probably not be able to run Metro Last Light or BF4 on max settings, but will do pretty good otherwise. I don't see why you would need anything more powerful and pricey.

Get a moderately specced one, which will probably not be able to run Metro Last Light or BF4 on max settings, but will do pretty good otherwise. I don't see why you would need anything more powerful and pricey.
Talking specifically about macbooks, only the top model has a non-integrated GPU meaning all the rest with their intel IGP's don't really qualify even as a "moderate specced" for gaming.

I'm not sure why everyone feels the need to have a laptop that's so thin or light. I'd rather have a big 'ol beast of a laptop that costs 500$ less, gives slightly better performance, and doesn't have heating issues. I'm just going to throw it in my backpack anyways, so why would an extra pound or two matter?

I'm not sure why everyone feels the need to have a laptop that's so thin or light. I'd rather have a big 'ol beast of a laptop that costs 500$ less, gives slightly better performance, and doesn't have heating issues. I'm just going to throw it in my backpack anyways, so why would an extra pound or two matter?

Exactly why I think an Alienware might be good. Razers strike me as ugly underpowered overpriced laptops that have a weird touchpad on the side (seriously who needs that?). Alienware isn't that overpriced I think, but I've also been considering an ASUS laptop. Any suggestions on good ASUS ones or should I get an Alienware?