Best Gaming Laptops?

Amaxter

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks alright I guess. It's not an apple or an alienware, so we did make some progress. I still feel like a $2000 laptop is a waste.

I'm just trying to figure out how they fit 3 (3!!) hard drive slots in the thing with all that ram, AFAIK the best mobile card money can buy, a good i7 processor, and cooling for that nuclear furnace of a machine.... I suppose you get what you pay for.

3 hard drive slots? Its not really going to be any more portable than a desktop at that rate! XD

I beg to differ. Put a desktop in your backpack. Put it on. Now put a 10 pound laptop rig into your backpack. Put it on. Still lighter, many times thinner, and infinitely easier to set up, not to mention it has a battery.

I will say this though...that is a particularly large amount of money to spend on a computer. I'd seriously consider that for at least a week or two. Is it really worth 2.3K to you to have this?

With those kind of specs I don't think it's a waste. A portable gaming powerhouse is pretty badass. I'll definitely think about if but for now it's a pretty good candidate. I want a laptop that will be good for at least five years, so this should do. But the question is, can it run Minecraft?

In a few years, it's likely a mid range PC will be as powerful as the machine you're considering. And of course, it will be a much lower price.

For $2300, you can get a good gaming computer right now that will run every game you need it to reasonably, and then get another one a few years down the line.

To answer your question, yes, that monster will run minecraft.

(Take this advice with a pinch of salt, as it's probable that I have no idea what I'm talking about)

I beg to differ. Put a desktop in your backpack. Put it on. Now put a 10 pound laptop rig into your backpack. Put it on. Still lighter, many times thinner, and infinitely easier to set up, not to mention it has a battery.

Sorry, bad joke.

In a few years, it's likely a mid range PC will be as powerful as the machine you're considering. And of course, it will be a much lower price.

For $2300, you can get a good gaming computer right now that will run every game you need it to reasonably, and then get another one a few years down the line.

To answer your question, yes, that monster will run minecraft.

(Take this advice with a pinch of salt, as it's probable that I have no idea what I'm talking about)

I want a gaming laptop, which I've made clear. If I was in the market for a desktop, I'd do what you recommend. I just want a relatively good gaming laptop, and this passes that test with flying colors.

That laptop on amazon has two SSDs + 1 normal HDD. SSDs can be tiny, really tiny. Even at that size (2x128GB).

Also, 24GB of RAM isn't too much. My laptop has 16G and running out is quite common during work. Running virtual machines also gobbles up a ton of it. If it supported more RAM my employee wouldn't mind upgrading to 32G, unfortunately it doesn't.

This supports up to 32 GB, I plan on adding another 8 GB stick. Also do you know if it's possible to replace the CPU on this? Also for storage, this also has a 1 TB hard drive so I think that's fine.

Laptops aren't nearly as modular as desktops. you could probably add more RAM but I'd wager on all the slots already being full. As for replacing the CPU...possible, yes. Simple enough for Joe Q. User to do? Hell no. And 1TB can go pretty fast these days, what with modern games hitting 18-20GB pretty handily.

Laptops aren't nearly as modular as desktops. you could probably add more RAM but I'd wager on all the slots already being full. As for replacing the CPU...possible, yes. Simple enough for Joe Q. User to do? Hell no. And 1TB can go pretty fast these days, what with modern games hitting 18-20GB pretty handily.

The slots aren't fulll, I checked. It has four slots,and three have 8 GB sticks.

What about don't buy a gaming laptop and spend it on a desktop and even better! Buy the parts and then get a brother, sister or a friend to help you build it if you don't know how to. The internet is also always available.

Gaming laptop is never an good idea, spend money on better things!

Also why do you need to play games when your travailing (unless your moving all the time). You might as well game on an iPod/iPhone (other products are available) or something.

If you do custom build your PC. With that range, you can get the best products.

Ask if you want to know what parts to buy... if your interested.

Even if you move all the time, just don't buy a gaming laptop, please don't make that

mistake.

Or you could just buy a next-gen console, its a lot cheaper and much more easy.

Ok, thank you for your suggestion but my mind is set. I see the reason behind a gaming desktop, and for most it is the good choice, but with my schedule I can't have a $2000 desktop that just sits at home and I almost never use. And I'm getting a console (most likely the PS4) sometime next year hopefully.

• Moderators

What about don't buy a gaming laptop and spend it on a desktop and even better! Buy the parts and then get a brother, sister or a friend to help you build it if you don't know how to. The internet is also always available.

Gaming laptop is never an good idea, spend money on better things!

Also why do you need to play games when your travailing (unless your moving all the time).

Sorry for busting your balls here mate, but gaming laptops are never a bad idea. Ipod probably is. Try installing skyrim on a ipod/ipad. Or minecraft.

I hear they have Ping pong and snake on ipod, though. I like the snake game.... how much fruit can that thing really eat?

Secondly, gaming laptops are lightweights. Try carrying a desktop (the monitor and tower) as handluggage on the airplane. Try it...

You don't want to slip such expensive shit on the cargo, I had a 2000euro bike once on cargo. It got buttfucked...

Thirdly, if you are a constant mover (I've moved to 2 different countries on the span of 3 years) and don't own a car, a laptop is a more convenient option.

Fourthly, a console? Yeah.... enjoy playing vanilla games. You are stuck with that. No mod support. And console gets much less support and game updates. Compare the PS3 Skyrim update with the PC updates.

That's of course a very narrow mindset I have, comparing only 1 game. But I haven't heard console exclusive games being super awesome...

And I did buy Dragon Dogma for my brother's PS3... good game. Although it could use some modding...

Now, I'm not saying you are completely wrong. A desktop gives you more for the dough you spend on it.

But if you are a traveling man, don't own a car, you might want to lean on a laptop. Alienware is all bling and low effort. Asus are great! I've own 2 and never regretted it!

I still say the Razer Blade is more than worth it if you're going to drop two thousand dollars on a laptop. That ASUS RoG laptop Amaxter linked is more intended as a "desktop replacement" than a portable gaming device. 24GB of RAM is pretty overkill for most games. If you really, really have your heart set on a 'gaming' laptop, get the Blade - the weird touchscreen trackpad actually has a reason for existing, namely that it's out of the way of where your palm would rest while your hand sits on the WASD keys. And the fact it's not an OLED screen is such a silly reason to not get it - it's a 1080p LED-backlit panel.

I don't need an ultraportable. If I wanted something thin and light, I'd get a MacBook (not for gaming but I still consider them excellent laptops if you have the money). 24 GB of RAM is helpful towards running my part time server, and a desktop replacement IS what I need. Razer's laptops are nice and all, but they're just not what I need. I'm also considering an MSI Dragon Edition 2. Do you guys think I should stick with ASUS or get MSI?

That laptop on amazon has two SSDs + 1 normal HDD. SSDs can be tiny, really tiny. Even at that size (2x128GB).

Also, 24GB of RAM isn't too much. My laptop has 16G and running out is quite common during work. Running virtual machines also gobbles up a ton of it. If it supported more RAM my employee wouldn't mind upgrading to 32G, unfortunately it doesn't.

What the hell do you do, parallel 3D rendering? 16GB is enough for most work situations and EVERY gaming situation.