THE OS HOLY WARS! and why they need to be over.

miniboxer

Re: so sick of youtube f-....arts. <3

I think Microsoft is out of the running personally (if you're talking about that little fantasy tech demo they released a while ago with the microsoft-branded smart gadgets). I think they're way too crufty and entrenched in their culture and way of doing things to keep up with the changes in the market. I also think it's absurd to believe that we'll ever return to a paradigm where a single company is providing a majority (let alone the totality) of services.

Edit: I should clarify, I mean out of the running for mobile devices and probably for consumer OS in general (we'll see how Windows 8 tablets do). They're not going anywhere any time soon even if it means pulling an Oracle and patent trolling for two decades.

When the market shift is over the reason it will have happened is that people genuinely don't miss the old way of doing things, because the new way is so much better in so many ways. So I'm guessing you might not miss desktops as much as you think, much like I don't think people are going to miss physical media - books, movie &amp; music discs, etc as much as they think. But we'll see. Every individual is different. Some of us just like old-timey things for nostalgia or personal preference. I know a young writer who *still* uses a typewriter despite the obvious objective advantages of modern document editing, just because he likes the experience of it. That doesn't force anybody to support his typewriter though, nor will people keep making new typewriters for people like him (I don't know if anybody is making them anymore as a matter of fact, and parts are getting harder to find). Lots of people still use feature phones or run old versions of their operating systems too even though nobody supports them or provides new software for them anymore.

I actually briefly see the start of a biography on one channel where a Texan writer used a typewriter because &quot;Computers and the internet are tools of the devil.&quot;

Also i'm not sure that is the same one. The one i saw was distributing because it lacked ANY Microsoft branding. Which seems to hint their vision was to render everything else so obsolete they no longer need to brand anything with that cutesy Windows logo. Also read that most that tech in it existed or is well on it's way and most of that the Microsoft video was saying is they will acquire the technology and vanillafy it for mass distribution. Doubt that will actually happen though.

Anyway the relevance of the video, I guess, was a desktop/laptop was never shown the computer was some kind of phone, the floor, the newspaper, a Datapad (looks like a tablet but clear), the newspaper, a wall, your coffee mug (what ever did happen to Microsoft Surface), A console an airplane, etc. The closest to a Desktop was the large Holo-Console being used by the architect.

I don't think I will miss everything about computers, but I do test not having a keyboard on my phone. Once gesture or voice recognition pan out it will not be so ban. Really the only thing I like about current computers is you have a lot more openness that is currently not in phones or consoles without voiding a warranty and jeopardizing your data service. Oh well, just have to wait and see.

I have a hard time imagining keyboards going away for serious text input. In all likelihood voice recognition technology will never get that last little bit to &quot;good enough to be generally used&quot; until we have a serious breakthrough in artificial intelligence. We might get something more exotic like key gloves with haptic response that simulate real keyboards or just direct neural input before they solve the voice to text problem :P Maybe that's too pessimistic, but even then, you can't write code efficiently with voice.

&quot;function foo open parenthesis capital int dollar sign bar close parenthesis open curly bracket return return capital system period out open parenthesis open doublequote capital hello capital world exclamation point close doublequote plus dollarsign bar dot camelcase tostring open parenthesis close parenthesis close parenthesis semicolon return return close curly bracket&quot;

... nah, I'll pass. :) I type faster than I talk even when I'm not describing code blocks. Wireless bluetooth keyboards are pretty handy though.

I think we are talking about the same video. The lack of branding just meant &quot;this is all microsoft&quot; to me. Especially since it was pushing a bunch of their new technology or subtly hinting at evolutions to existing tech. Thing is Microsoft is playing catchup or completely blindsided in *every single category* in the video from cloud computing to mobile hardware and software to artificial intelligence. The only thing they still lead in is traditional office productivity and enterprise support, and that's the only place they're likely to hold on to (and then only if the hipster companies who are ditching their desktops in favor of iPads don't start a trend...).

Notably I just saw some stats today that tablets *alone* almost equaled desktops in sales last year, let alone other mobile devices (although laptops are still a pretty big piece of the pie).

I have a hard time imagining keyboards going away for serious text input. In all likelihood voice recognition technology will never get that last little bit to &quot;good enough to be generally&quot; until we have a serious breakthrough in artificial intelligence. We might get something more exotic like key gloves with haptic response that simulate real keyboards or just direct neural input before they solve the voice to text problem :P Maybe that's too pessimistic, but even then, you can't write code efficiently with voice.

&quot;function foo open parenthesis capital int dollar sign bar close parenthesis open curly bracket return return capital system period out open parenthesis open doublequote capital hello capital world exclamation point close doublequote plus dollarsign bar dot camelcase tostring open parenthesis close parenthesis close parenthesis semicolon return return close curly bracket&quot;

... nah, I'll pass. :) I type faster than I talk even when I'm not describing code blocks. Wireless bluetooth keyboards are pretty handy though.

I think we are talking about the same video. The lack of branding just meant &quot;this is all microsoft&quot; to me. Especially since it was pushing a bunch of their new technology or subtly hinting at evolutions to existing tech. Thing is Microsoft is playing catchup or completely blindsided in *every single category* in the video from cloud computing to mobile hardware and software to artificial intelligence. The only thing they still lead in is traditional office productivity and enterprise support, and that's the only place they're likely to hold on to (and then only if the hipster companies who are ditching their desktops in favor of iPads don't start a trend...).

Notably I just saw some stats today that tablets *alone* almost equaled desktops in sales last year, let alone other mobile devices (although laptops are still a pretty big piece of the pie).

That would make sense. They are mobile, fast (Due to lightweight mobile OSes), and connect to the internet. For most people Email and Facebook is all something needs to be their perfect computer now a days.

In the end here is my motto: &quot;Use what ever you want and STFU about it.&quot; Vi or Emac, 360 or PS3, AMCO or Technic, just STFU and be happy. If I want to use X then let me, Y has it's own sites, I will hang with other Xer and you can hang with other Yer and we can all be happy. At least that is how I see it,

Note: I will occasionally make fun of windows, not because I hate it but because I find it fun.

there is a technic OS? MUST HAS!

EDIT: i actually started a pretty neat discussion here. I do admit, i don't know why i put this original in cafe lame, that was stupid.

what i was really trying to say here is that i am just so tired that every single time a video is posted about a console or OS, you get a troll. youtube needs to crack down on these people, they don't contribute to discussions, and only anger the people who are actually worth having. With the part about not looking at comments, that is impossible for me. I got addicted to them a while ago, and i just can't stop. I GET that the internet is a nasty place, but it doesn't mean that on every single site you have to have tards posting flame. i don't mind a good argument, as long as the person I am arguing with is not a dick, and they back themselves with valid reasons. It is when they present their argument with &quot;LOOOOL, LINUX IS SHIT!&quot; that pisses me off. all the windows users who don't use it just for gaming are mainly innocent anyways, it is the few retards that give them a bad name.

EDITEDIT: DERP, it was saying that you can use AMCO modpack, or Technic modpack.

It actually matters a little, since a significant portion of what we're paying our ISPs for comes down to bandwidth and other operational overhead wasted by fundamental security flaws in certain operating systems and devices. In that sense it hurts me personally. There are other issues that are a bit harder to measure (societal stuff like privacy and identity theft) which are largely caused or enabled by incompetence in the developers and users of those systems, but I can mitigate the personal impact of those things except insofar as it drives up insurance rates and thus cost of living (which again is tough to measure).

Still, I don't bother bitching anymore. I'm an unapologetic elitist. I just laugh when people insist upon the superiority of their little playskool operating systems and then bitch about problems that wouldn't exist if they didn't keep *paying* the people who create those problems. It's cute and hilarious at the same time.

It actually matters a little, since a significant portion of what we're paying our ISPs for comes down to bandwidth and other operational overhead wasted by fundamental security flaws in certain operating systems and devices. In that sense it hurts me personally. There are other issues that are a bit harder to measure (societal stuff like privacy and identity theft) which are largely caused or enabled by incompetence in the developers and users of those systems, but I can mitigate the personal impact of those things except insofar as it drives up insurance rates and thus cost of living (which again is tough to measure).

Still, I don't bother bitching anymore. I'm an unapologetic elitist. I just laugh when people insist upon the superiority of their little playskool operating systems and then bitch about problems that wouldn't exist if they didn't keep *paying* the people who create those problems. It's cute and hilarious at the same time.

windows support forums are quite fun to watch.

windows support forums are quite fun to watch.

Not so much when you are trying to figure out why windows decided &quot;You know what... i am going to run chkdsk /f (or whatever) reset ever single secuirty ID and break the computer and the the only support is &quot;Yeah, windows 7 64-bit does that sometimes, Reinstall.&quot;

It is strange when Windows takes on a life of it's own. I'm by no means a computer genius but pre logic dictates that when I press button X I want the output to be from button X, not everything else other than button X ¬_¬

Also really twisted my balls when it decided to edit the Hosts file and give me Minecraft Fatal Error 4, thank fuck for google :D

It is strange when Windows takes on a life of it's own. I'm by no means a computer genius but pre logic dictates that when I press button X I want the output to be from button X, not everything else other than button X ¬_¬

Also really twisted my balls when it decided to edit the Hosts file and give me Minecraft Fatal Error 4, thank fuck for google :D

Why the heck would it up and edit the host file?

Also, a reading of my favorite lines from the services file:

doom 666/tcp #Doom Id Software

doom 666/udp #Doom Id Software

Not so much when you are trying to figure out why windows decided &quot;You know what... i am going to run chkdsk /f (or whatever) reset ever single secuirty ID and break the computer and the the only support is &quot;Yeah, windows 7 64-bit does that sometimes, Reinstall.&quot;

i just had an OS-exploding error on linux, and am still fixing it. but here is the thing: it was user error. i decided to tell a glitched synaptic that uninstalling unity was OK (derp). My Punishment: I spent from about 3 in the afternoon to probably tomorrow trying to fix it. I had gotten quite a few OS-exploding errors on windows before converting, except none of them were my fault. They were all due to a virus, windows deciding that deleting explorer.exe was a brilliant idea, or telling task manager to close one process, only to find several other exploding. I have never had errors out of my control of that sort on linux.

I just have to say that in my experience windows gets a bad rap. I've been a multi-OS user for many years. (my music forces me to use mac, but my gaming forces me to use windows) and i actually had my first big-deal, i-cant-fix-this crash today. Almost all of the terrible things i hear about windows really amounts to users refusing to learn how to use their goddamn product.

I just have to say that in my experience windows gets a bad rap. I've been a multi-OS user for many years. (my music forces me to use mac, but my gaming forces me to use windows) and i actually had my first big-deal, i-cant-fix-this crash today. Almost all of the terrible things i hear about windows really amounts to users refusing to learn how to use their goddamn product.

That's the way it is for most OSes. Most the crap about Linux and Mac is &quot;Oh crap this is unfamiliar, this shit is inferior and I going back to my old setup.&quot; All 3 OSes work just fine it you are willing to learn.

i just had an OS-exploding error on linux, and am still fixing it. but here is the thing: it was user error. i decided to tell a glitched synaptic that uninstalling unity was OK (derp). My Punishment: I spent from about 3 in the afternoon to probably tomorrow trying to fix it. I had gotten quite a few OS-exploding errors on windows before converting, except none of them were my fault. They were all due to a virus, windows deciding that deleting explorer.exe was a brilliant idea, or telling task manager to close one process, only to find several other exploding. I have never had errors out of my control of that sort on linux.

Yeah once had synaptic go into dependance hell and another time something I installed made it decide EVERYTHING was in conflict with it and need to be remove and I accidentally OKed that. Hooray for separate /home partitions!

On a side note ...does anyone else thing that the Unity Desktop is just about the worst thing ever . I changed mine to a gnome 3 derivative and like it much better and occasionally blackbox

Anecdotal. Valid within that context, but still anecdotal. As a programmer, I fucked up my Windows system more times than I can count (all the way back to 98 and NT), whereas it took me until after college to figure out how to panic the Linux kernel exclusively from userspace.

Windows is a massive plate of spaghetti that vomits all over itself frequently, but this emetical force is redistributed throughout the system (like laying on a bed of nails) so you don't always see it. Linux is pretty much in the same state, but is built out of lots of little pieces, so most any time something goes wrong, it goes wrong within that little piece and the rest goes on blissfully without it.

My personal experience with these two OSes is that Windows lumbers on like a beast for quite a while, slowly dribbling all over itself, gently and quietly corrupting itself, and that GNU/Linux rolls on like a rockfall, occasionally losing a rock or two over the side, but overall still being the same rockfall.

Yeah once had synaptic go into dependance hell and another time something I installed made it decide EVERYTHING was in conflict with it and need to be remove and I accidentally OKed that. Hooray for separate /home partitions!

and then after it decided to uninstall unity for no apparent reason, it COMPLETELY bugged out, and then decided that practically every file on my system was incompatible with compiz, and started removing them. except it was so bugged, it started them all at once, and I closed it midprocess. still am trying to wait for all of them to update.

On a side note ...does anyone else thing that the Unity Desktop is just about the worst thing ever . I changed mine to a gnome 3 derivative and like it much better and occasionally blackbox

I don't really like it when someone disses something for an opinionated reason. You just don't like unity, It isn't like it is broken, or highly bugged.