Minium Shard Farming

theMij

So I've done quite a bit of googling and haven't managed to find any solution to minium shard farming that works in Tekkit Main. I understand this is definitely by design, but hey, most of the fun in this game is figuring out how to do things that are complex and kinda OP right? ^_^

So the core of the issue is that mobs killed by anything but a player will not generate minium shards, and supposedly this includes everything from lava to block suffocation to dispensers. I've read that turtles used to work but currently don't. I want to say any critters spawned by an autospawner also do not work, although I don't have a source for that. I remember playing with a spawner setup months ago and noticing that slimes were the only things I seemed to get shards from, although that could easily be due to me killing more slimes than anything else since they split. Also the most common lead I've found for these is using a railgun and a deployer, which I don't believe exists in the current version (from the redpower mod?).

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas to build an automatic farm for this? How about setups to simply reduce effort involved?

Killing Slimes from auto-spawner is the best way as I know it, atleast for tekkit 1.0.6. Havent tryed it on Tekkit 1.1.8 or higher. The first slime that spawns have a reduced chance of dropping but the others smaller ones that the larger slime creates when it dies seems to have normal drop rate.

Still you have to mele kill them yourself since thats is the only way for them to drop.

There used to be a way to do this in Tekkit Lite. I haven't tried yet, but I think it could still be accomplished in the new Tekkit.

The trick is minecraft must think that you've killed the mob. But, if you put a modular power glove with a rail gun on it in a deployer, you can shoot the mobs with the railgun and it will kill the mobs tricking the server into think a player has done it.

You will have to extract the glove and recharge it in an energetic infusor (assuming it will charge them, I think it will), then put it back in the deployer.

Also, because of mob rules in Minecraft a player will have to be nearby (128 blocks seems familiar?).

Sorry for the sketchy details, but the Mindcrafters have a youtube tutorial for doing this in Tekkit Lite, you will just have to adjust your approach some.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Let me know how it works out if you try it before I do!

Thanks for the detailed response! I found the same video and it does a great job of explaining the concept, but unfortunately the deployer block was from RP2. I am unaware of a replacement. Without something like that, we might need to rely on mob weakening setups and manually attack them.

Right now I don't recall any way of farming Minium shards. I found the best way is setup a spawning room with convoy belts. You can get spawners from the MFR portal spawner (Named somewhere along the lines) A good looting sword. Or go to the end and setup a vanilla endermen spawner.

Out of curiosity, what's the need for Minium shards? Once I got a BioFarm set up and Quarries running I've not had a great use for my Minium Stone. I have maybe 60+ shards and haven't yet used up my first Minium Stone.

Am I missing out on something?

I have factory, that makes iron from dirt and cobblestone and it needs lot of minium stone.

And if I want to build beacon pyramid out of diamond blocks, because i can. It is quite handy and for maximal pyramid with six beacons i need about 18000000 cobblestone