Rift blocks keep spawning

Yosharian

Hello, I have Rift blocks that keep spawning in one particular area and they are very annoying - I just happened to build my base on top of it and only found out later that there was a rift.

No problem, I thought; just remove it with a Rift Remover right? So I borrowed an Ender Pearl off my friend and made one, used it on the Rift blocks and removed them.

Only one problem: they keep coming back. Why would Rift blocks keep coming back in a particular area after they've been removed?

At the moment Ender Pearls are quite difficult for me to obtain, hence this thread, otherwise I'd just blast them everytime.

Not really sure. They have odd mechanics involved with them. Could be they are just showing the despawn animation when you use the rift remover, but not actually removing them.

Another option could be there is another MUCH larger rift field nearby that they are spawning off of. But if it's as big as it would need to be to do that, you would of seen the effects of the rift field, if not the field its self. Would have to be close by. As in within 10 - 20 blocks of where the rifts are showing up in your base.

Not really sure. They have odd mechanics involved with them. Could be they are just showing the despawn animation when you use the rift remover, but not actually removing them.

Another option could be there is another MUCH larger rift field nearby that they are spawning off of. But if it's as big as it would need to be to do that, you would of seen the effects of the rift field, if not the field its self. Would have to be close by. As in within 10 - 20 blocks of where the rifts are showing up in your base.

Could this be vertically down as well as lateral?

Ok, I will check for that. Rift hasn't respawned since the last clear. So far the Rift has respawned twice, maybe this time I got it all. It could also be that my smeghead friends are playing a trick on me; if that's the case, apologies for wasting your time =p

I've done a lot of intentional rift spreading on my own. I've found them to make a decent makeshift endermen farm, but only if the rift field is big enough. As in at least 6 interconnected rifts. Also found that they do indeed like to spread out from where you place them. Usually not far though, but sometimes they can get out of control if the additional rifts it spawns are too close together.

Picture of the problem:

rift.jpg

So I've had more problems with my base, the rift keeps respawning; this time it took over two weeks to respawn but it came back again. No harm done other than the destruction of some stone bricks, but as my base develops I've planned to put machinery in this position so as you can imagine I'm slightly concerned.

Any ideas? Note I'm using a Rift Remover to remove the rift each time, and I've made sure to remove all the rift blocks I could see. My base also extends about 15 blocks down from the rift position, and I've tunneled somewhat in each lateral direction as well, and found no more rifts.

Question: what if I turned this natural rift into a rift door using a wooden warp door (this is straight from the Wiki, I've never done this before and have no idea what the result will be), and then surrounded the rift with obsidian or some similar material in order to encase it?

Next question: are there any blocks that are immune to Rift damage? (to contain the rift)

Another question: do Rifts spread infinitely?

Hm that shouldn't happen unless there are some Server Plugins interfering, roll backs (i doubt that one thought, you would have noted that hehe) or smotehing similar. Natural rift anomalies (thos fields of rift that eat blocks) only get spawned when a chunk is freshly generated. So there is no natural way this should happen, however there are quite a few ways to cause this manually:

1. Having dimensional doors close to each other

2. Using Rift Signature to cause new rifts to form

3. Using one of the right click abilities of the rift sword

4. Exititng a Pocketdimension trough a wooden door

Option 2 and 3 are commenly used to grief and they don't get logged by anti grief plugins/block-loggers (or atleast I don't know of one that does), thats why DD is either completely disabled or those items are banned.

Once a new rift anomaly is created it has a fairly high chance to create a new rift. However, that new rift will have the propability to create yet antoher new rift spawned in half, so they won't spread indefinitely.

Sadly, there are no blocks that will shield off a rift anomaly. There are blocks that won't be eaten thouhgt: Bedrock, Emerald, Diamond, Gold and Iron Blocks (not ores). MFFS Forcefields seem also to not be eaten, mabye they get replaced to fast to be seen thought, thy won't shield either and other MFFS Blocks will be eaten even thought they are indestructible.

Hm that shouldn't happen unless there are some Server Plugins interfering, roll backs (i doubt that one thought, you would have noted that hehe) or smotehing similar. Natural rift anomalies (thos fields of rift that eat blocks) only get spawned when a chunk is freshly generated. So there is no natural way this should happen, however there are quite a few ways to cause this manually:

1. Having dimensional doors close to each other

2. Using Rift Signature to cause new rifts to form

3. Using one of the right click abilities of the rift sword

4. Exititng a Pocketdimension trough a wooden door

Option 2 and 3 are commenly used to grief and they don't get logged by anti grief plugins/block-loggers (or atleast I don't know of one that does), thats why DD is either completely disabled or those items are banned.

Once a new rift anomaly is created it has a fairly high chance to create a new rift. However, that new rift will have the propability to create yet antoher new rift spawned in half, so they won't spread indefinitely.

Sadly, there are no blocks that will shield off a rift anomaly. There are blocks that won't be eaten thouhgt: Bedrock, Emerald, Diamond, Gold and Iron Blocks (not ores). MFFS Forcefields seem also to not be eaten, mabye they get replaced to fast to be seen thought, thy won't shield either and other MFFS Blocks will be eaten even thought they are indestructible.

That is very helpful information, thanks. I don't think any of these apply:

1) There are definitely no dimensional doors nearby

2) 3) I do not believe that the Rift is the cause of griefers, for two reasons: one, I trust the people who live near me; two, the Rift is in the exact same position each time, and the probability is low that a griefer would target the exact same spot each time - more likely he'd fire in a general direction. The Rift is spawning in the EXACT same spot each time.

4) No such pocket dimensions exist in this location yet.

I will observe the spread of the Rift for longer next time it spawns. If the Rift stops spreading and settles on a particular size, and I surround it with Iron Blocks or the like, will Endermen still spawn from the Rift?

Unsure if it is useful information but I notice that Enderman spawn sometimes near my base while the Rift is 'removed'. Not sure if that's normal or indicative of a hidden Rift.

Hey! In the recent versions of DD, rift spread has been overhauled pretty extensively. I dont think they have made it into Tekkit yet, but they will soon, and should address the issue of rifts not always getting deleted using the rift remover.

In addition, you will be able to 'shield' blocks from rifts that cannot be eaten, like iron, etc.

This is just a loongshot. Try and smack upp riftdoors on them, then go inside the dimpocket, go out and break the doors and then remove the rift. If you are lucky this can work depending on how the rift system are coded. With some luck putting upp doors on them and goinside will create a new rift on the same spot and that one will be possibly be 100% removable but like I said, this is just a guess.

This is just a loongshot. Try and smack upp riftdoors on them, then go inside the dimpocket, go out and break the doors and then remove the rift. If you are lucky this can work depending on how the rift system are coded. With some luck putting upp doors on them and goinside will create a new rift on the same spot and that one will be possibly be 100% removable but like I said, this is just a guess.

Warning: Only go in there with an empty inventory... happend often enough to me to find a completely empty pocket dimension on the other side... meaning no floor to stand on and you'll most likely drop out of the world if that happens.