Weird mobs spawning.

piggyback101

So, whilst playing the B Team mod, I've been running into these strange mobs spawning in groups. They include weird, low quality pigs, cows and slimes, purple endermen and what appear to be Pikachus and Squirtles. They don't seem to be part of any of the mods and when I look at them it just calls them 'entity.creature.name'. Anyone else experiencing this?

blLzZKj.png

j0TfgpE.png

ty8upd8.png

Mb1XP2c.png

kbOb5il.png

Yep. I already saw them... In creative mode... They are passive, they attack hostile mob, not passive one, they don't drop anything (except necromancy's stuff), some of them can burn, they can have what I call "larva" form (their "children") and they look like minecraft mobs/pokemons (purple insane enderman, "naked-like" zombie, very light green slime, orange/yellow cow, pink pig, "pikachu", "squirtle" and their "larva"), but weirder...

Just... leave them alone... They're cool... They defend you against zombies and creepers... Even against the skellingt... skeleton boss... Or kill'em for muscles and morphing... They've got a strange look... Especially the enderman... Pranking his friend on a server with that could be cool.

Also, the ones shaped like Vanilla mobs seem to drop twice as much loot as their real mob counterparts. I'm guessing this is to account for half-breeds to be able to drop one of each of the parents' loot.

You can catch a bunch of darwinian Endermen, keep 'em in a pen, and breed them for a cheap, easy enderpearl farm. According to the b-team's videos, endermen seem to be pretty rare otherwise.

The mod isn't listed in the modpack though. I hope they weren't planning to remove it.

*EDIT* 
After some more experimentation, I've discovered my assumption about the reason for multiple drops was wrong. Instead, breeding creatures will yield different drops. For example, the "pikachu" mobs drop redstone dust naturally, and the "Endermen" drop enderpearls, as stated. However, their half-breed offspring drop two Ghast Tears each upon death. An Enderman-Zombie cross breed will drop Blaze Rods. 

I will try to spend more time cross breeding and try to make up a table of useful drops and how to get them.

Edited by natenexus

• 6 months later...

Basicly they are the perfect "factory mobs". I have built to slaughterchambers similar to Gennys. One is just producing meat (using a slaughterhouse), while the other one generates items (using a grinder).

Both are close together, and I use a poppet shelf to keep the chunk loaded.

In the meantime around 20K Meat ingot have been produced, as well as several hundred block of iron, steel and gold along with various other items like brewing stands enderpearls, ghast tears, blazerods and powder and so on.

Since the DNA is randomly recombining (even when the original darwin wasn't in the group) the yield basicly varies from day to day. Yesterday my lockers where full with  bucketload of beds (useful as furnace fuel) while today I have mostly Chain boots and leggings.
Its hard to predict what they will yield, since the mutation seems to be partly random.

When you breed two together they get most of the attributes of the two parents in varying amounts and a small amount of random variation (that can apply to skin, stance, behaviour, burning in day/water, drops, anything).  If you were to keep breeding two 'enderman' types together you could get one that drops something different to enderpearls at any point and you could then breed that to increase the number you have with a given drop.  I think you can use the MFR autospawner with 'spawn exact copy' to make things a lot faster.

There's one behaviour I haven't seen in vanilla minecraft, and that is 'hostile to hostile mobs' (it'll attack anything hostile whether it's attacking you or not).

I hadn't thought about setting up a mutation-pit like XL :)

Such a mutation pit is great fun, especially when you come home back after a day of work and discover something new every day. Genny mentioned that there are 126 possible combinations which yield different items. So far I have discovered I would say 30 to 40 of them, since I am not guiding the mutations but let happen.

It seems that the enderman legs and slimetorsos are somewhat dominant since no matter how I set up the pit (I put in fresh specimen every week) they usually end up with those two features mainly.

The brilliant thing about such a pit is, that it will always yield some stuff that is made of iron, gold or steel (and a little rarer diamond). Those items (since they are in mint condition) can be put in the smeltery and give you are solid income of those materials.

Just today I had 74 Ingot of iron and 95 ingots of steel in the yield (aloong with a lot of other stuff). And this is only done with a basic breeding stock of 8 mobs which i let breed like wild.

I have made the design a little more basic then genny and removed the cronotyper, and replaced that with a drawbridge that open controlled by a timer in regular intervals and dumps half the mobs into the deathtrap. Also I added an Autospawner to the setup which uses the grinder generated mob essence to spawn Whiter Skeletons.

For those who are interested in the basic concept ... check out generikb's video "The deathchamber of DEATH"

Looking it up it looks like there's 126 different item drops possible, yeah, and the behaviours are more detailed than I thought (they can have things like 'look in shade' or 'hunt cows specifically').

They follow these rules for crossover from parents, with a 1/200 chance of mutation in each bit.

That means if you left two endermen together to breed indefinitely, you'd end up with only one...

A descendent would eventually mutate the 'kill endermen' behaviour and murder everyone else in the place.

hmmm interesting. haven't come across it so far, but this makes the mod even more fun.

Sometimes I had a weird behaviour when I initially place the mob (I get them from a cloning chamber out of an autospawner).

I pick him up in a safari net and place him in the breeding chamber. He then starts taking damage. I pick him up again and place him again, now everything is fine ... wonder what is causing this.

Looking it up it looks like there's 126 different item drops possible, yeah, and the behaviours are more detailed than I thought (they can have things like 'look in shade' or 'hunt cows specifically').

They follow these rules for crossover from parents, with a 1/200 chance of mutation in each bit.

That means if you left two endermen together to breed indefinitely, you'd end up with only one...

A descendent would eventually mutate the 'kill endermen' behaviour and murder everyone else in the place.

I knew about their behaviours but it isnt comon enough to happen to make a major note of it, and most people who even mess with these mobs at all tend to set it up using a chronotyper so the mutations never get noticed.

Super cool stuff! Thanks everyone. As soon as I can get some more safari nets and a place to set up a farm I'm gonna go hunting for some of these guys and make a farm of my own! Has anyone else noticed that they only seem to spawn naturally in beach-type biomes? I wonder if that's normal.

It seems so. So far I have only found them on beaches myself.

The good thing is that you only need a few of them (6 to 8 is more then enough) due to the high spawn rate. If you have looked into MFR you only need just one since you can clone him with an auto spawner. If you don't use "exact copy: yes" it will spawn all varieties of darwin mobs.

And this is the result of using the breeder? I doubt that ... I think the breeder only speeds it up

This is the post which Loader cited: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-mods/wip-mods/1443260-darwin

So basicly the chance that this happens is there every time. Using a breeder just tends to bring out the results faster, since it works unattended.

Try it yourself.

Manually breed two of the same Darwin mobs and note down the result.

Put together two of the same Darwin Mobs and a single breeder with two pieces of wheat.

You'll end up with something that looks NOTHING like the original. Most likely incorporating characteristics of various other mobs.

This is the direct quote:

All those things are controlled by the genes. So they are inherited from parents following the crossover rules (http://en.wikipedia....somal_crossover).
A mutation can happen during this process (one chance over 200 for each bit which is an equivalent of a nucleotide) and can result in characteristics the parents didin't have.

so this can and will happen every time. When i use the manual method I have two mobs that are the parent generation. Do I use the breeder I usually have a breeding group (in my case up to 40-60) which mutate at a much faster rate, since they are getting new food supplies the second they can breed again. And since the babies are growing really fast they will matewith their parents as well further increasing the mutation. At the beginning of a new mutation cycling I usually see the correct archetypes of darwin mobs even when using a breeder. but with every cycle they disappear more and more only to reappear after some time.

This morning I had a group of endermen in my pit which was not there the day before. If someone would make the effort to generate lets say 200 generation deep manual mutations, then the results would be the same. I still don't think that it is the result of using the breeder

Bizar.

Things either changed, or luck was against me.

I tested this back in March.

One breeding pair of identical Darwin mobs (pigs) were fed by a Breeder. The offspring were separated from their parents.

The results were consistent in their inconsistency: Enderpigs, cowzombies, PikaSquirtles, the whole gamut. From a SINGLE breeding pair.

In my test today, I set up three manual breeding pairs and three automated breeding pairs.

Between the six offspring, I got only two (visible) mutations. One burned to death in larval form and one had a smaller body and shorter hind-legs. But they were still pig (well, assumption on the one that burned... it was pink)

I have no idea how to explain my test results from March.

Carry on as you were then!

Edited by Melfice

Has the modversion changed since then maybe? Maybe the current darwin mobs version handles things a little different here.

But bizarre is the right word *G* Thats what describes this mod best and makes it so much fun.

Like I said I had endermen this morning. Yesterday evening when I logged off, the pit was filled with a mix of predominantly yellow, long legged mutants with zombiefaces and slimebodies.

They were completely gone this morning and the endermen where there along with some pikachu mutatations in between. Also I found various drops in the pit, so I guess I had a "kill mob XXX" in between.

I think the best explanation is randomness. I think that even with a massive breeding stock it might be possible to keep the mutants relatively "pure" when using a pure first generation stock. With time passing it will be more and more difficult since mutations are sneaking in building out new subspecies. But nevertheless its still possible though more and more and unlikely.
And the bigger the testgroup and the longer the testperiod are, the more extreme the results will be.

Nevertheless such extreme mutations like you described can happen on the first try .... its all a matter of odds and them becoming true.