I am having issues getting my server to connect. First attempt set it up and everything worked. However after stopping the server and shutting down my computer, and later starting everything back up, I could not get back onto the server. I kept getting ERRORS such as: 

[iNFO] Starting minecraft server version 1.6.4
 [iNFO] Loading properties
 [iNFO] Default game type: SURVIVAL
 [iNFO] Generating keypair
 [iNFO] Starting Minecraft server on 68.81.135.245:25565
 [WARNING] **** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!
 [WARNING] The exception was: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind
 [WARNING] Perhaps a server is already running on that port?

I went and searched every possible solution. I looked to find why port 25565 was unusable, and couldn't find why. I added permissions for inbound/outbound, searched using netstat commands to see what could be using it. I allocated plenty of ram...which wouldn't help this situation, but I have just done everything I could think. Even tried deleting everything and re-installing. Even ended all java processes. I have spent a few hour tinkering around... Just lost at this point. I know a few people have run into this issue.  I would appreciate any advice :)

I have port forwarded. I have a belkin f9k1001 v1 ,and I used the port 25565 in the inbound and the private port boxes, I also used my Ipv4 in the private address box.

#Minecraft server properties
#Sat Feb 08 04:13:27 EST 2014
generator-settings=
op-permission-level=4
allow-nether=true
level-name=world
enable-query=false
allow-flight=true
server-port=25565
level-type=BIOMESOP
enable-rcon=false
force-gamemode=false
level-seed=
server-ip=68.81.135.245
max-build-height=256
spawn-npcs=true
white-list=false
spawn-animals=true
snooper-enabled=true
hardcore=false
texture-pack=
online-mode=false
pvp=true
difficulty=1
player-idle-timeout=0
gamemode=0
max-players=4
spawn-monsters=true
view-distance=10
generate-structures=true
motd=An Attack of the B-Team Server

I am having issues getting my server to connect. First attempt set it up and everything worked. However after stopping the server and shutting down my computer, and later starting everything back up, I could not get back onto the server. I kept getting ERRORS such as: 

[iNFO] Starting minecraft server version 1.6.4
 [iNFO] Loading properties
 [iNFO] Default game type: SURVIVAL
 [iNFO] Generating keypair
 [iNFO] Starting Minecraft server on 68.81.135.245:25565
 [WARNING] **** FAILED TO BIND TO PORT!
 [WARNING] The exception was: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind
 [WARNING] Perhaps a server is already running on that port?

I went and searched every possible solution. I looked to find why port 25565 was unusable, and couldn't find why. I added permissions for inbound/outbound, searched using netstat commands to see what could be using it. I allocated plenty of ram...which wouldn't help this situation, but I have just done everything I could think. Even tried deleting everything and re-installing. Even ended all java processes. I have spent a few hour tinkering around... Just lost at this point. I know a few people have run into this issue.  I would appreciate any advice :)

Remember the IP you put in for the server is your INTERNAL not EXTERNAL. For example 192.168.0.1

I added inbound/outbound rules for port 25565 for both TCP, UDP just to be 100% sure there is not issue with my firewall blocking. I also set specific IP,subnet, and default addresses for IPv4. I now added my internal IP to the server properties and used it when making the server. This seemed to of worked. Concerned using my Internal IP. Also, I am having issues with the server being allocated enough ram.  Ranges anywhere from 7% - 21%.

There's alot of suggestions trying to get to an IP/port conflict, but have you tried simply looking through your task manager and force-closing all processes relating to java? That's usually my issue when I get something like that, is there's a server running in the background but for some reason the console isn't showing up, so I have to go close the process.

Note: Process tab, not the default application tab. :)

It's a simple solution, and with you saying you restarted the computer entirerly, not sure it'll work, but it's worth a shot at least.

• 2 weeks later...

The only reason you should need to set the ip in the properties file, is if you have multiple connected network cards in your computer. Such as for servers that have one network card connected to the internet and another to an internal network. So in most cases this option should never need to be set.