Correct pickaxe for ore-hunting

Munaus

• Moderators

I couldn't find a topic for this one yet.

So I finally got this modpack started and running and I already seen some lovely ores and gone in a crazed ore hunt.

But I would like to know what is the minimum metal pickaxe you need to mine most ores?

I once (long ago, in my custom modpack) made the mistake of mining a fossil ore with a stone pickaxe and didn't get any drop. Is there a graph of some kind or is iron the standard to use?

I know I could look through all the mods homepage themselves, I just wished there was something here in one single thread.

Yes iron is what will get you pretty much every ore, at least i the overworld, except Obsidian which will require diamond. Once you get to the nether to get cobalt and ardium you will need alumite or steel from Tinker's Construct. If you make a TC smeltery though you could make a iron pickaxe that you could add lapis lazuli to pretty early and redstone and coal and such will drop much more than usual once you add quite a bit of lapis. Start down the tinkers construct by reading the "Materials and you" book. 

• Moderators

I find it amusing that you think I don't know about obsidian. :derp:

I've played hexxit for quite some time, so I do know about TiC tools and nether ores. I was more concerned of TE and Galacticcraft's and any other unknown ores from other mods, since I haven't played any tech modpack since tekkit classic was the main tekkit.

So far so good with having iron as standard then. Back to mining :flashfact: