1.2.6 update causing lag spikes every 5-10 seconds

Phoenixious

Hello all,

I've tried to search the forum for an answer but couldn't find anything. So please forgive me if this has already been addressed since the 1.2.6 update 20/02/14.

Both me an my GF play Tekkit. It was running perfectly. We didn't have any issues with maximum settings. Also I'm running 128bit texture pack and my GF is running 64bit texture. My GF is now experiencing, after the update, incredibly annoying lag or FPS loss, I'm unsure, every 5-10 seconds which is rendering the game unplayable.

Checking her CPU and RAM usage, her CPU rarely goes above 90% usage, and she has 4GB RAM. 1GB is allocated to Java through the Technic Launcher. Graphics, audio and Java have been updated to their most recent versions too. We have also tried experimenting with lowering Minecraft Video Settings to now effect. Even using the Default 16bit texture still has the exact same issue every few seconds.

Any idea's to what might be causing the spikes?

Before the update there wasn't a single issue.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues since the the 1.2.6 update to 1.6.4 Minecraft?

Cheers for the help guys.

Hello all,

I've tried to search the forum for an answer but couldn't find anything. So please forgive me if this has already been addressed since the 1.2.6 update 20/02/14.

Both me an my GF play Tekkit. It was running perfectly. We didn't have any issues with maximum settings. Also I'm running 128bit texture pack and my GF is running 64bit texture. My GF is now experiencing, after the update, incredibly annoying lag or FPS loss, I'm unsure, every 5-10 seconds which is rendering the game unplayable.

Checking her CPU and RAM usage, her CPU rarely goes above 90% usage, and she has 4GB RAM. 1GB is allocated to Java through the Technic Launcher. Graphics, audio and Java have been updated to their most recent versions too. We have also tried experimenting with lowering Minecraft Video Settings to now effect. Even using the Default 16bit texture still has the exact same issue every few seconds.

Any idea's to what might be causing the spikes?

Before the update there wasn't a single issue.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues since the the 1.2.6 update to 1.6.4 Minecraft?

Cheers for the help guys.

You don't want too little or too much RAM allocated, but is reccomended you and your GF allocate 2 GB of memory to the Technic launcher, that should make tekkit run smoother.

Hello,

Changing the settings to the lowest as well as allocating 2GB still causes the repetitive pauses every 5 seconds. I've even made a new server world to make sure that there isn't an issue with the upgraded world. Looking directly up or directly down still has no effect. So its not just the drawing / rendering of the world that's causing the lag.

Very strange, very peculiar as its very difficult to suss out the issue.

Any other ideas for solutions would be very helpful,

Kind regards.

After doing some more digging, it would seem this is a memory issue, however, I'm not 100% sure how to over come it?

Pressing F3 in game to bring up the stats, in the top right, you can clearly see that memory usage hits 97-100% then the FPS goes down to 0 for 2-3 seconds. then it climbs back up to 100% and repeats. It quotes a memory allocation of 500MB. However, I've set it to 2GB in the Technic Launcher. Is there somewhere else I can set the Memory allocation of Minecraft? If I run the Minecraft JAR file manually, will that still load the Tekkit addons?

Cheers for any help guys... getting closer to sussing this now! :)

OK guys, I believe I've sussed it.

FIX:

Within the Environmental Variables of the PC, it had a _JAVA_OPTIONS variable set. This was set to 512. Thus, despite setting the Technic Launchers value, this was obviously taking priority. Renaming it or deleting it allowed the Technic Launchers value to take priority and so, the game happily runs at 50FPS+.

Cheers guys.

FIX:

Within the Environmental Variables of the PC, it had a _JAVA_OPTIONS variable set. This was set to 512. Thus, despite setting the Technic Launchers value, this was obviously taking priority. Renaming it or deleting it allowed the Technic Launchers value to take priority and so, the game happily runs at 50FPS+.

Cheers guys.

Excellent discovery.  The modpack should operate just fine in 1gb of ram, all of my testing was done at that limit.

I normally have no lag in regular minecraft, which before they controlled it to be easier on video cards (less heat) would sometimes bump from around 150 to to 300-400 fps (i5 650 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GTX 550 Ti running 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 Linux). Currently in Balanced, Far, and Fancy, MC or Tekkit generally runs 120 fps most of the time (in vanilla MC it never falls to 60).

The current Tekkit in SSP with default 1 GB would occasionally pause momentarily and it seemed to be associated with sudden spikes loading ~300 chunks for an instant during periods of not much chunk activity at all while just walking around digging tunnels and ores in a familiar area. But last night I explored new territory (boat, then walking) and even though I had been in that area for a couple of MC days, while trying to quickly build a cobble building near a natural dimensional doors rift or portal as night approached, the lag/pauses became so unbarable that I could not hardly place blocks where I wanted to. So in the launcher I bumped java memory from 1 GB to 2 GB and that seems to work much better even during momentary heavy chunk loading. Linux normally does not have any system wide java memory limits (actually I use openjdk), it uses what you tell it to.

The only other thing I have running at the time is xchat for lightly used IRC related to minecraft/tekkit on a shell account system.

• 1 month later...

FIX:

Cheers guys.

this saved my life. i have been looking for this fix for months upon months all the way back to ftb ultimate. thank yopu so much

• 1 month later...

I've read this fix from @Phoenixious. Unfortunately I've no idea how to do anything of that. If someone would make a tutorial of this or a step to step discription, I would be happy.

Note:

1. I've no computer experience, so do it simple and step for step

2. If my English is not clear. Do notice that English is not my native languange. So feel free to ask if you don't understand something

I hope that I can play modded minecraft again soon without the horrible lag spikes

Ultiseeker78

FIX:

Cheers guys.

Where do find it? Step by step.

There is no Java System variable in Windows by default. If you find none, that is fine. The variable is set temporarily when you run launch.bat (or launch.sh in Linux) and will allocate a sane amount of RAM. Problems only arise if you have a global variable set that overrides the launch.bat setting, like the one Phoenixious found. So if there is no variable set globally, you should be fine.

If one is set, maybe another Java program needs it, so you should try to alter the amount to something suitable for Tekkit - or remove it entirely and disregard that other program.

Edited by Curunir