How to run a successful Tekkit Server

Timendainum

I don't suppose this problem is just with Tekkit, but I've had some major issues on my server here lately. This is not a critique in any way of how Tekkit is managed.

Just a short bit of backstory.

I play minecraft with a group of friends (maybe 10 people all together), we've been playing minecraft since alpha (before multiplayer) and we've run multiple servers and restarted worlds many times. When the "new" Tekkit was release we were very happy, we can get in on the ground floor and stick to a world for some time!

Here we are less than a year later and we're now being recommended to restart our worlds to use the new Tekkit.

With this announcement everyone who plays on my server has quit in frustration. Every last one of them. Basically everyone is sick an tired of starting cool Minecraft projects on modded servers only to be forced to restart completely when updates are pushed to modpacks in just a few months.

How can I keep interest in a modded server when everyone is typically forced to restart multiple times per year?

Edited by Timendainum

Yep. My group's been down for about a year due to one of these "new world" recommendations.

Fortunately, we just came back on the 1.6.4 beta, so we're set for a little while, but it'll come again.. I think the only real way to resolve is for there to be some sort of conversion tool. I remember with some of the old Technic migrations, users created a worldconverter. Without something like that, we have to reset.

Umm... tell them how much its worth upgrading because there's so much cool new stuff? This is the kind of thing you should know going in...

You could also try copyying player.dat files over to the new map. If your players fill their inventory with blocks of redstone and metal and wood and such, they could get a head start on the map.

Edited by dwwojcik

I feel for you, we had to do the same thing, and it actually was ok, we took the shells of our buildings and moved them to the new server with mcedit. and have found new and better ways to implement projects.

last server I was all about logistic pipes now I am all about applied energistics. gives you a chance to try new things. and with the knowledge you have already accumulated it won't take you long to get back up there. couple of quarries and a couple weeks is all it would take.

We had the same problem. There was disappointment for the abandonded projects and lost space stations but in the end we decided it was better to restart and try the new things. Boy do I miss my power suit! I understand that there is not a lot of choice if we want to keep up with the latest versions, however I agree if it happens again too soon I'm not sure our group would be too pleased.

Galacticraft would be really nice to use. It's never been useful at all Restarting is NOT an option for any of my players. We've restarted, I dunno, 5 or 6 times over the past few years. Moving onto new modpacks, or updated ones. Just loosing the reactor builds with atomic science being removed is a big problem.

I think at this point I'm just going to call it quits. I don't believe there is a good solution for this for any modpack. Modders are going to burn out, or better mods will always be made that obsoletes old builds. It's the nature of the beast, and it's too bad really.

I love minecraft, and I love mods. But, you just don't get any longevity out of them if you want to stay current with minecraft. We even ran into this same issue with Bukkit. Plugins come and go, updates break things.

So it is what it is.

Atomic Science wasn't removed.

A resolution to your problems is near as well. Mojang stated that the estimated delivery date for the Plugin API was early-mid 2014, and seeing as 1.7.6 is going to come out and 1.8 is being pushed back I would guess they're going to see if they can get it in then.

What I do is delete the unused chunks and move the world over anyway. Yes you will lose some stuff but most of it will be fine depending on what the mods changed. 
I delete the unused chunks because with power armor you can explore a lot of the map with flying, witch makes the world files really large.

I am in the same boat you are, I had a MC sever  as soon as multiplayer was released. I just updated it over the updates and the group was happy. We started playing Tekkit before tekkit 3 ( i forget what it was called back then ) It was fun in all but after many new worlds the group started to get annoyed, and so did I. 

If you delete unused chunk retogen works pretty well, you still have to rebuild some stuff in the updates but it works pretty well.  Tell your members to put some stuff  ( To help get power back on )in vanilla chest as your AE system will most likely have no power. It is possible