1.2.7 update causes performance issues on Server

Artical

Hello Everybody,

for the last few months our Server was running on 1.1.10 with no problems what so ever.

But since tekkit was updated to 1.2.7 i noticed a significant increase in memory usage. Even with a new world, the server requires about 50% more ram than the old version with a large world, including chunkloader and quarries. Now the usage has increased to over 200% of the former version and our server get's repeated out of memory errors. I can't figure out why the new tekkit version requires that much ram.

Thanks for the help.

Hello Everybody,

for the last few months our Server was running on 1.1.10 with no problems what so ever.

But since tekkit was updated to 1.2.7 i noticed a significant increase in memory usage. Even with a new world, the server requires about 50% more ram than the old version with a large world, including chunkloader and quarries. Now the usage has increased to over 200% of the former version and our server get's repeated out of memory errors. I can't figure out why the new tekkit version requires that much ram.

Thanks for the help.

Any more information you can offer would be great, including a full crashlog and any other info (startup options, mcpc+ version if you're using mcpc+, etc.)

Currently we are using tekkit 1.2.7b without any plugins only some custom mods added like chocolatecraft or Infernal mobs.

Here is an example for the crashreports.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6hwb6d5qv277tc/crash-2014-02-28_05.46.39-server.txt

But i made a testrun with the vanilla tekkit 1.2.7b Server aswell, and got the same results.

The test was run with an empty Server, a newly generated map, no options changed in any of the configs and no plugins or MCPC+ used. Still, this setup used already about 50% more ram than the old Version 1.1.10 with a large world, with quarries and chunkloader. The actual numbers are about 600mb for the old Version and already 900mb with the vanilla tekkit 1.2.7b Server. If you need any more information, just ask.

Thanks for the assist

Edited by Artical

Is it always this

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
    at java.util.HashMap.addEntry(HashMap.java:799)
    at java.util.HashMap.put(HashMap.java:412)
    at java.util.HashSet.add(Unknown Source)
    at net.minecraft.util.IntHashMap.func_76038_a(SourceFile:64)
    at net.minecraft.pathfinding.PathFinder.func_75854_a(SourceFile:166)
    at net.minecraft.pathfinding.PathFinder.func_75858_a(SourceFile:134)
    at net.minecraft.pathfinding.PathFinder.func_75860_b(SourceFile:117)
    at net.minecraft.pathfinding.PathFinder.func_75861_a(SourceFile:88)
    at net.minecraft.pathfinding.PathFinder.func_75857_a(SourceFile:59)
    at net.minecraft.pathfinding.PathFinder.func_75856_a(SourceFile:31)

when you run out of memory?

Also, can you please try again with a straight 1.2.7b server?

-Xms800M -Xmx800M? I am surprised your server even starts I run mine with -Xms4G and I think I am undercutting it, granted you don't want to go to high cause you will have issues with garbage clean up. but anything below 2G and you're seriously limiting yourself. I wouldn't even use less than 2G for a vanilla server.

Edited by TonyVS

-Xms800M -Xmx800M? I am surprised your server even starts I run mine with -Xms4G and I think I am undercutting it, granted you don't want to go to high cause you will have issues with garbage clean up. but anything below 2G and you're seriously limiting yourself. I wouldn't even use less than 2G for a vanilla server.

Wow.  I didn't catch that.

Yes, 800mb is far too little for a modern modpack like Tekkit, even without mcpc+.

Good Morning,

our Server now currently runs with Xms1200M Xmx1200M but still is not enough. Still the sudden increase in recourse demand is kind of odd, especially if it exceeds 200% of our former setup.

Is it always this

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
    at java.util.HashMap.addEntry(HashMap.java:799)
    at java.util.HashMap.put(HashMap.java:412)
    at java.util.HashSet.add(Unknown Source)
    at net.minecraft.util.IntHashMap.func_76038_a(SourceFile:64)
    at net.minecraft.pathfinding.PathFinder.func_75854_a(SourceFile:166)
    at net.minecraft.pathfinding.PathFinder.func_75858_a(SourceFile:134)
    at net.minecraft.pathfinding.PathFinder.func_75860_b(SourceFile:117)
    at net.minecraft.pathfinding.PathFinder.func_75861_a(SourceFile:88)
    at net.minecraft.pathfinding.PathFinder.func_75857_a(SourceFile:59)
    at net.minecraft.pathfinding.PathFinder.func_75856_a(SourceFile:31)

when you run out of memory?

Also, can you please try again with a straight 1.2.7b server?

I looked up some other crashreports and they look similar but some have additional at.net. ... parts like

at java.io.DataInputStream.readUTF(Unknown Source)

at net.minecraft.nbt.NBTBase.func_130104_b(SourceFile:96) or

at net.minecraft.nbt.NBTTagList.func_74735_a(NBTTagList.java:71)

and what do you mean with a straight server. i already used a non modified one for my test yesterday. Just downloaded and installed on our server with the result presented above.

Thanks again for your efforts.

so you downloaded the server from mojang and ran that?  straight/vanilla means right from mojang no forge,no spigot,no bukkit etc

Xms1200M Xmx1200M still isnt enough you need to up that Xms 2g or xmx2048 if you prefer however java prefers you use 2g and not 2048M

this is the script I run (you will have to have java 64 bit)

START "MINECRAFT-TEKKIT" /ABOVENORMAL /B java -Xms4G -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=50 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60 -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -Xnoclassgc -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

Sry if i used the term vanilla incorrectly...

I meant i used a clean tekkit 1.2.7b server with no changes what so ever. That includes no mods added, no MCPC+ or any other plugin and no tampering with any of the configs.

I know that upgrading the ram would solve the problem but i'm still curious why the recource demands are skyrocking like hell just with the new tekkit version. There has to be some changes causing this. Especially with an almost empty world with nothing on it. What is all the ram used for??????

Thanks again

Edited by Artical

all the mods and their items

there is a lot more stuff and functionality in the new version, something has to look after all that stuff and in this case it uses ram

take for example thermal expansion 3, notice how they are not called liquid ducts anymore and are called fluid ducts, the author stated that fluid has different properties then liquid does. I believe he mentioned things like volume, density etc

that is more demanding on a server/client cause now for example it has to look after 10 properties for a fluid vs 3 for a liquid, and multiply that by x number of mods = higher server requirements

that is just my take on it, hope that helps

That makes a lot of sense, but would this include worlds not using any of the new items like i used for my test? Or in another way does the server load these properties even if he doesn't need them to calculate changes in the world?

And again thanks a lot^^

I believe all properties it has to load at all times, how does it know what you are going to do next except to be ready for it.

all a blank server hasn't done is the placement of ores and such, even the world layout is predetermined by the seed even if you haven't logged in yet (you can tell it is doing it when you start a server fresh and it says building spawn 1% - 100%

If my memory serves me right, when the redProject mod was added, server ram usage was increased by a lot.

It could have something to do with all the new world generators that came with that mod, and the fact that it retroactively generates stuff.

I dont know. But mb.

it retroactively generates stuff???? I did not know that, that is the first I have heard of any mod doing that, crazy

Yea first i saw it in the log and was wtf is this weird stuff. But when vulcanones suddenly appeared outside my home, i understood. and i saw how dangeous it could be to a old world.