Is this an efficient design? Thermal Expansion/Minefactory Reloaded Energy

Manshiny

Hi all,

I'm using Tekkit 1.2.7b with/ Railcraft and Tinkers Construct + steelworks.

I'm trying to design an extremely fast and efficient way to produce energy to charge my Redstone Energy Cells.
Right now, my friend and I have done a lot of resource gathering, we've got tons of everything so we're perfectly capable to produce what I currently have.

We have a reactor that is powering our current machines, however we need a better way to power our redstone energy cells.
A few months ago I came up with this design and it was good, but I felt it could improve. I took like 3 months break from gaming and completely forgot everything I learnt about FTB and Tekkit.

1zpscis.png

This is a small design I was playing with just now in creative mode in my own world.
It's meant to be about 15-30 layers of Magmatic Dynamos.

So It currently uses
Roughly 60-120 Magmatic Dynamos
4 Magma Crucibles + hoppers
Gold Fluid Pipes

And Redstone Energy Conduits

It converts Netherack (which we have about 150k of because of a 32x32 nether quarry) into lava which then powers the Dynamos.
This produces power, which then powers itself + leaves around 10k MJ (don't remember the new uni, so I'll just stick to MJ :D ) to charge whatever. This is when I would put a flower of Redstone Energy Cells on the top to charge them.

This is early game design, so once we have a lava dimension from mystcraft, we can pump lava straight out.

As I mentioned earlier, we have a reactor, which I'm planning to use to power this design (once I figure out where I'll connect everything) and then use all the power created to charge cells.

This is what I've come up with, it's very basic (I think, I'm very new to tekkit) but I really like it cause it uses such a small amount of space (only 3x3 and up to 30 layers deep which is fine)

I'm really open to improving it unless there is something better, in which case, yeah.. bye bye above.

Any advice? :D

Edited by Manshiny

120 magmatics is 9600 rf/tick or 960 mj. You can also just use either a pump or ender thermic pump in the nether with 2 magmatics per pump.. you can have the pumps connected to the dynamos and an ender tank, which would have a matching tank in the overworld replacing your crucibles. Then the entire system would need no additional power since after an initial bucket of lava the pump setup is self sufficient. Also reactors are much more powerful. A 5x5 (6x6 including outer walls) ring fusion reactor setup easily outputs 40k rf/tick. And one last thing, in your design replace any bc pipes with fluiducts/ energy conduits. They're better.

Oh, and due to the fact that you can pump liquid deuterium directly into reactors now instead of needing canisters of it, fusion reactors are currently maintenance and resource free.

Edited by rogueclon946

120 magmatics is 9600 rf/tick or 960 mj. You can also just use either a pump or ender thermic pump in the nether with 2 magmatics per pump.. you can have the pumps connected to the dynamos and an ender tank, which would have a matching tank in the overworld replacing your crucibles. Then the entire system would need no additional power since after an initial bucket of lava the pump setup is self sufficient. Also reactors are much more powerful. A 5x5 (6x6 including outer walls) ring fusion reactor setup easily outputs 40k rf/tick. And one last thing, in your design replace any bc pipes with fluiducts/ energy conduits. They're better.

Oh, and due to the fact that you can pump liquid deuterium directly into reactors now instead of needing canisters of it, fusion reactors are currently maintenance and resource free.

I have actually replaced the pipes with fluiducts.

I'm going to try everything you just suggested, seems really smart :o

Thanks heaps :D

Holy damn that looks insane. I have no idea how you constructed that, so I'll stay away haha

Edited by Manshiny

I find this much more efficient and self substantiating. build it and forget it

2014-03-07_17.30.49.png

Are those stacked PA rings below those reactors?

Also do you have more tesseracts/cells up top? 44 turbines with none running full speed is already more than enough to max out a redstone conduit, so just from what i see youre losing out on a lot of power.

Edited by rogueclon946

I'm just thinking about the ender thermic pump. Would you recommend just using cells or tesseracts? I've never actually created a Tesseract, so I guess I can find out how it works.

Also, what the heck is the above image, how does it all work O.o

yes they are stacked pa, the bottom row of one is the top of the other, and it is free power so nothing is wasted, just lost. it runs everything so I am not worried, I have yet to see any where that states a max capacity of redstone conduit.. I would be interested in reading that if you have a link

yes they are stacked pa, the bottom row of one is the top of the other, and it is free power so nothing is wasted, just lost. it runs everything so I am not worried, I have yet to see any where that states a max capacity of redstone conduit.. I would be interested in reading that if you have a link

Hold left shift while mousing over the conduit itself in inventory or NEI, it lists max rate as 10k rf/t.

I'm just thinking about the ender thermic pump. Would you recommend just using cells or tesseracts? I've never actually created a Tesseract, so I guess I can find out how it works.

Also, what the heck is the above image, how does it all work O.o

Honestly I keep my actual dynamos in the overworld. Here's a pic of one of my nether pump setups.

owyizP9.png?1

In the middle on the bottom there is the ender thermic pump. The cobble is only hiding fluiducts connected to the top of the pump, every magmatic, and the ender tank you see there. When I used magmatics for power I didn't have anything with a constant power drain, nor did I use a lot of power, so the comparator and redstone there is to disable the magmatics when the ender tank is full, to prevent the dynamos from breaking down. In the overworld all you need is a setup with an ender tank with the same color combination, linked to magmatics via fluiduct, basically how your setup is, just replacing the crucibles with an ender tank.

I'd use a combination of cells and tesseracts. Cells to store power as a buffer in case something goes wrong, but your main power transmission would be tesseracts. What you could do is have a single resonant cell directly connected to your dynamos to hold power, and have that outputting into a tesseract that is your primary power sending tesseract, or you can use multiple cells/tesseract channels if you want.

And in his picture, the bottom is a stack of particle accelerator rings likely producing antimatter that he is using in a fulmination generator somewhere offscreen or something to that effect. The next layer up looks like 4 fairly large fusion reactors setup, with steam funnels above them to collect steam produced which is piped through the fluiducts to his tesseracts for offsite steam storage, or those tesseracts are powering the reactors, not sure which is right. Either way the steam is also piped up to his layer of turbines up top, which use steam to produce power. LOTS of it.

The nice thing about fusion reactors is that once they are up and running they don't require any non-renewable resource.  IOW they are perpetual energy machines.  An infinite supply of water is provided by an aqueous accumulator (at no material cost on the margin) to a chemical extractor which converts said water to liquid deuterium with power - mostly redstone flux in this iteration.  The liquid deuterium is fed into the reactor along with power which generates steam which turns turbines that make rf that powers the chemical extractor, the fusion reactor and lots and lots of other things.  

Endless power.  If you need larger quantities of power you build more fusion reactors, steam collection and transportation 'stuff' and more turbines.  But once built requires no additional non-renewable resources to run.  Very efficient, very non-explody, and very hands off.

The nice thing about fusion reactors is that once they are up and running they don't require any non-renewable resource.  IOW they are perpetual energy machines.  An infinite supply of water is provided by an aqueous accumulator (at no material cost on the margin) to a chemical extractor which converts said water to liquid deuterium with power - mostly redstone flux in this iteration.  The liquid deuterium is fed into the reactor along with power which generates steam which turns turbines that make rf that powers the chemical extractor, the fusion reactor and lots and lots of other things.  

Endless power.  If you need larger quantities of power you build more fusion reactors, steam collection and transportation 'stuff' and more turbines.  But once built requires no additional non-renewable resources to run.  Very efficient, very non-explody, and very hands off.

Basically IC2 HV solar arrays, but easier to make.

Hold left shift while mousing over the conduit itself in inventory or NEI, it lists max rate as 10k rf/t.

Honestly I keep my actual dynamos in the overworld. Here's a pic of one of my nether pump setups.

owyizP9.png?1

In the middle on the bottom there is the ender thermic pump. The cobble is only hiding fluiducts connected to the top of the pump, every magmatic, and the ender tank you see there. When I used magmatics for power I didn't have anything with a constant power drain, nor did I use a lot of power, so the comparator and redstone there is to disable the magmatics when the ender tank is full, to prevent the dynamos from breaking down. In the overworld all you need is a setup with an ender tank with the same color combination, linked to magmatics via fluiduct, basically how your setup is, just replacing the crucibles with an ender tank.

I'd use a combination of cells and tesseracts. Cells to store power as a buffer in case something goes wrong, but your main power transmission would be tesseracts. What you could do is have a single resonant cell directly connected to your dynamos to hold power, and have that outputting into a tesseract that is your primary power sending tesseract, or you can use multiple cells/tesseract channels if you want.

And in his picture, the bottom is a stack of particle accelerator rings likely producing antimatter that he is using in a fulmination generator somewhere offscreen or something to that effect. The next layer up looks like 4 fairly large fusion reactors setup, with steam funnels above them to collect steam produced which is piped through the fluiducts to his tesseracts for offsite steam storage, or those tesseracts are powering the reactors, not sure which is right. Either way the steam is also piped up to his layer of turbines up top, which use steam to produce power. LOTS of it.

Ah, to be honest, I'm terrible with redstone circuits.

Could you send me a sort of how-to guide with lava pumping + ender items like the pump and tank lol.... XD

Hope that's not an issue.

One more thing, and I hope this isn't a stupid question, but will pumping lava out of the nether use up all the lava?

Is there an easy way to make a lava dimension?

Edited by Manshiny

Are those stacked PA rings below those reactors?

Also do you have more tesseracts/cells up top? 44 turbines with none running full speed is already more than enough to max out a redstone conduit, so just from what i see youre losing out on a lot of power.

What is the max output of a large turbine running at full capacity in 1.6.4, I asked on the calclavia forums but have yet to get an answer The conduit is 10,000 rf/t

I have yet to see any where that states a max capacity of redstone conduit.. I would be interested in reading that if you have a link

You can measure saturation with a Multimeter. That way, you should be able to find out the maximum capacity.

I wouldn't be surprised to find it identical to the maximum in-/output rate of Redstone Energy Cells (2000RF/t). That, or even higher.

Ah, to be honest, I'm terrible with redstone circuits.

Could you send me a sort of how-to guide with lava pumping + ender items like the pump and tank lol.... XD

Hope that's not an issue.

One more thing, and I hope this isn't a stupid question, but will pumping lava out of the nether use up all the lava?

Is there an easy way to make a lava dimension?

Message me some more info on what you need to know and i'll write something up when i get out of work in 5 hours. A cell phone isnt the best way to make long posts and i cant do screenshots either, so ill do it from home.

And theoretically its possible to drain all the lava from the nether, good luck though. The bottom lava lake can be upwards of 30 blocks tall and is mostly lava, islands that actually extend downward aren't common. Combined with the theoretical max dimension size for minecraft, thats a lot of lava, upwards of 108 quadrillion source blocks unless i was wrong about max map size.

Edited by rogueclon946

You can measure saturation with a Multimeter. That way, you should be able to find out the maximum capacity.

I wouldn't be surprised to find it identical to the maximum in-/output rate of Redstone Energy Cells (2000RF/t). That, or even higher.

Calclavia himself said the handheld multimeters do not measure rf correctly from atomic science items. and the resonant induction ones seem to be broken atm. (and the max for a resonant energy cell is 10,000) which is all I use.

Calclavia himself said the handheld multimeters do not measure rf correctly from atomic science items. and the resonant induction ones seem to be broken atm. (and the max for a resonant energy cell is 10,000) which is all I use.

What if you tried pumping steam into a single turbine connected to a resonant cell via a few conduits, let it spin up to max speed and see how much rf is flowing into that single input face on the cell?

Reminds me of the one part of ic2 power i liked. The only part measured was max packet size, not max total transfer rate lol

Edited by rogueclon946

well, the output of the atomic science turbines is coded in the config file.  D:"Turbine Output Multiplier"=xxx  gives you the output of a small turbine, running at full speed.  Well, to be accurate, output multiplier divided by 2 is the output of the turbine.  so times the number given by 4.5 and you get the output of a large turbine that is supplied the max amount of steam it can use.

default setting is D:"Turbine Output Multiplier"=4.5

4.5/2 = 2.25Mj/tick for a small turbine or 20.25MJ/tick which is 202.5 RF/tick for a large turbine

but since RF is only transfered as a whole number.  you get 202RF for 1 tick, then 203RF the next tick.  This is why the multimeter has trouble with RF transfer rates from turbines.

sorry, I've spent too much time doing hard number crunching with atomic science and how it interacts with other mods....

Edited by jakalth

well, the output of the atomic science turbines is coded in the config file.  D:"Turbine Output Multiplier"=xxx  gives you the output of a small turbine, running at full speed.  Well, to be accurate, output multiplier divided by 2 is the output of the turbine.  so times the number given by 4.5 and you get the output of a large turbine that is supplied the max amount of steam it can use.

default setting is D:"Turbine Output Multiplier"=4.5

4.5/2 = 2.25Mj/tick for a small turbine or 20.25MJ/tick which is 202.5 RF/tick for a large turbine

but since RF is only transfered as a whole number.  you get 202RF for 1 tick, then 203RF the next tick.  This is why the multimeter has trouble with RF transfer rates from turbines.

sorry, I've spent too much time doing hard number crunching with atomic science and how it interacts with other mods....

That just seems off to me. I have reactors with a total of 44 turbines producing 40k rf/tick easily, all small turbines. According to your numbers it should only output around 1k rf/tick lol

When resonant induction was working I was getting this, what is the math to convert to rf? Thanks in advance

3035005529-2014-02-26_09.07.46.png?Signa

Not sure but I just made this:

a7P93wE.pngThat would seem to imply a single turbine is capable of outputting 4k rf/tick though...

I also tried steam funnels and fluiducts. the ducts were only allowing a throughput of something like 350 mb/tick. I filled a drum with steam(256k mb) and a single turbine burned through that in seconds...

2 turbines were almost pushing 8k and 3 turbines were capable of completely saturating the conduit network(10k rf/t)

Edited by rogueclon946

aah, I was looking at an older config file...  that's the issue.  I'll check the latest version and see what it's got going on.

:edit: the config looks odd...  I'll have to dig into this to figure out what is really going on here.  something is fishy.

Edited by jakalth

aah, I was looking at an older config file...  that's the issue.  I'll check the latest version and see what it's got going on.

:edit: the config looks odd...  I'll have to dig into this to figure out what is really going on here.  something is fishy.

most of the numbers in the AS config look like they're listed in Joules, any idea what the conversion is like right now?

I thought that math was from one of your previous posts I had read, I didn't want to question it but I thought I had read it had changed for 1.6.4 as well

well, the math was still correct in 1.6.4 with older builds.  but it seems to have been completely broken in this version of atomic science.

was getting the same numbers as rogueclon946 in a quick test.  3995 RF/tick from a small turbine.  and over 10000 from a single large turbine.  this is not how the turbines are supposed to act.  even after some triel and error I was only able to turn down the output to 888RF/tick from a small turbine.  and in the process, made piping steam impossible...

something in the mods output equasion is broken..  probably a simple misplaced decimal point somewhere in the hard coding.

:edit:  equation for converting joules to RF or MJ... well... have not seen a hard reliable equasion to convert between those...  But I do know that 1MJ = 10 RF, +/- 0.01%.  this is also not a strait conversion.  the most accurate conversion has about 10 decimal points in the equasion... :  Silly BC and it's over complicated, but quite solid power system...

Edited by jakalth

I was looking around and saw some older posts about how Calclavia was thinking of changing AS over from joules/watts as a base to BC power. It could be possible that this change happened but the numbers in config are still from back in the day of joules and watts maybe?

Edited by rogueclon946