Mod Removal to fix lag

Nareto

So, I've been getting quite a bit of lag with this modpack.  Even if I close all processes that are unnecessary for windows to run properly, Set Priority with task manager, and add optifine and play on minimum settings, I STILL get 5 FPS. I understand that this Modpack has a total of 112 mods..... That's very obviously the problem. So, what I was wondering, is what mods are not necessary to the "experience" this modpack provides, and would be okay to remove from my clientside directory? Also, I am open to the possibility that this isn't the problem and that I may have done something wrong in the settings or something similar. So, if you believe that may be the case, please, let me know. All help is appreciated!

Edited by Nareto

You can manually remove (most) mods yourself. If anything, I would recommend removing the larger mods, and mods you don't see yourself using. Just sort the /mods folder by size. Also, if you are like me and only have a 32 bit PC, you can download MagicLauncher and it will let you allocate a little bit more than the 1GB (around 1250 for me) that the technic platform allows.

Edited by 0siris

I am 64-Bit, by the way. So, I allocated 2GB, and it really worked! Thanks for that, but I still get quite a bit of lag, unfortunately. Not nearly as much, though.

As for the mods, I know HOW to remove mods, I'm nowhere near a noob. All I wanted to know was what mods aren't used very often by most people, and aren't too worthwhile to keep.

I don't use minions (it was causing me troubles), but that's about it - it's a pretty fun mod though that you should at least try before removing (actually, most stuff in here is like that - I might not use airships but they're fun, I might not use morph but it's fun, I might not use dragonmounts but they're fun..).

While we're on the topic, the number doesn't matter much - I could have a pack with 50 mods that didn't use much power (a bunch of extra blocks and items maybe) and you might have 5 but use way more processing power than mine if you've got something like logistics pipes on yours.

While we're on the topic, the number doesn't matter much - I could have a pack with 50 mods that didn't use much power (a bunch of extra blocks and items maybe) and you might have 5 but use way more processing power than mine if you've got something like logistics pipes on yours.

I know this very well, but my idea is to figure out which mods I would be willing to get rid of, and get rid of some of the larger, more intensive ones.

Everything is kind of in for a reason.  I guess;

Dragonmounts might use a lot of texture memory (for minecraft) with its dragon skins.  But dragons!

Tick-wise Witchery, Tinkers Construct and Project|Red are probably the biggest, but all three of those do something really specific (project red are your only source of pipes, tinkers is your best source of tools, witchery is your only choice for magic).

You could probably decide something like "I'm doing magic" and remove the techy ones, or "I'm doing tech" and remove the magic ones, but short of that the pack is pretty well put together.  The only change I think I'd personally make would be adding thaumcraft to complement witchery (they work nicely together and the golems would fit with the mad-science theme), but thaumcraft tweaks worldgen (so it'd be a lot of work integrating it) as well as being fairly heavy of a mod (and the pack is already pretty heavy), so I'm not sure I'd actually even add it in their situation.  That's also the opposite of what you want to do :D

Try it with everything on for a bit, you'll find out what you do and don't use.  This really does seem different for everyone, and I probably should've just said that at the beginning.  People on my server are doing things from farming, through making factories, through a 'normal' tinkers and combination of factory and magic, witchery fortune telling and magic potion selling, portable bases in airships and ships, taming dragons or horses or just building random stuff with chisel and microblocks.  Someone is even collecting trees and flora from natura, biomesoplenty, tropicraft and project|red to build a crazy arboretum thing.  I might be able to get away with removing dinos and maybe tropicraft, but if someone was to want to do something in the tropics or if someone wanted to make a Jurassic park repica right now, they could.  Almost everything is currently used by people on my server.

Thanks for the suggestions and help. I ended up taking out Minions, Tropicraft, Dinos and Galacticraft. I never really liked Galacticraft that much when I played New Tekkit. I have yet to play and see how the lag goes, but I shall get back to you on that.

EDIT: I just tried to load up a world, and my game crashed. Here's the report: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3a81t66ozow3ouh/crash-2014-03-14_15.07.43-client.txt

Edited by Nareto

Please remove optifine until we're done, it can cause all manner of oddities with chickencore and I'd rather deal with them separately (it can look like just about anything).

Couple of questions for you; (galacticraft is the problem somehow, so something is referencing it in spite of it being gone).

Are you sure you removed both the galacticraft mods?  There's a mars expansion installed as well as the base one.

Are you making a new world, or loading an old one?

Please remove optifine until we're done, it can cause all manner of oddities with chickencore and I'd rather deal with them separately (it can look like just about anything).

Couple of questions for you; (galacticraft is the problem somehow, so something is referencing it in spite of it being gone).

Are you sure you removed both the galacticraft mods?  There's a mars expansion installed as well as the base one.

Are you making a new world, or loading an old one?

I did remove both Galacticraft mods.

I tried loading both. The first time I tried to load a previous world, and when it didn't work I simply assumed it was because of world generation errors from the removed mods. Afterwards, I tried creating a world, and I got the same crash.

EDIT: I just removed Optifine and tried again, and got the same error.

Edited by Nareto