Item Ducts or Transport Pipes

HalestormXV

So what do you use? Personally I am an item duct fan. Especially since you can impulse them and the different modes are great (vacuum, round robin, and dense) I am curious though. Do they not work with strong boxes? Or does the strong box have to be set to public access to work?

Transport pipes however are cheaper but I'm really not that keen on them. I am interested to know though if the red power pipes like the router interface work with item ducts. Thoughts? Preferences? Facts? Do share your info.

Edited by HalestormXV

I am using the transport pipes.  I absolutely love them.  Very easy to configure and, like you said, very cheap.  I love the ability to use the access pipe to recall any item I deposit into the system.  It is compatible with deep storage, better storage, and stronghold boxes as well as regular chests.  Very time consuming as it uses a LOT of dyes!  However, once it is set up it is very expandable and easily automates lots of storage options.  One other downside is it is not very good at organizing items automatically.  Therefore, it can waste storage space by not always combining like materials and creating full stacks of items.  For example: you may have 30 items in one chest and instead of trying to complete the stack when you deposit 20 more of that same item, it might toss it in another chest.  This can be overcome by using the white and blacklists on the cards but I really am not so picky to spend the time to make it happen.  Instead, for inventory management, I created a garbage chute where I withdraw items I choose and it dumps straight into a lava pool.

Why not both?

I use transport pipes most of the time because of their functionality, such as requesting, inputing items, and also you can see the items flow through the pipe. They're also pretty resource light. My favourite thing about them is that you only need to upgrade one chip to make items flow fast through all of your pipes, as opposed to needing better pipes. But sometimes item ducts are needed. I tried using crafting pipes with no luck. I used a constructor instead. It accepted input for item pipes, but needed item ducts for output. I just popped the output into a chest, then converted back to item pipes.

Overall, I would go with item pipes, just because of their basic and complicated usage.

Hope I helped!

Oh yeah, I use both myself. I just prefer Itemducts. Although I must say the sorting system with the Project Red pipes can be quite good. Although @Pojster, you are correct in the amount of dyes they use. It is absolutely crazy. I don't know. I think I just have a preference over the ducts mainly for the look of them and the added features once you install a pneumatic servo.

I am using the transport pipes.  I absolutely love them.  Very easy to configure and, like you said, very cheap.  I love the ability to use the access pipe to recall any item I deposit into the system.  It is compatible with deep storage, better storage, and stronghold boxes as well as regular chests.  Very time consuming as it uses a LOT of dyes!  However, once it is set up it is very expandable and easily automates lots of storage options.  One other downside is it is not very good at organizing items automatically.  Therefore, it can waste storage space by not always combining like materials and creating full stacks of items.  For example: you may have 30 items in one chest and instead of trying to complete the stack when you deposit 20 more of that same item, it might toss it in another chest.  This can be overcome by using the white and blacklists on the cards but I really am not so picky to spend the time to make it happen.  Instead, for inventory management, I created a garbage chute where I withdraw items I choose and it dumps straight into a lava pool.

How did you get them to get tossed into a lava pool? From what I've found, when the item reaches the end of the pipe, it just returns and bounces back and forth, it doesnt actually come out of the end of the transport pipe. I've been needing some kind of void pipe or chest or something. I've got several skeleton spawners i afk to collect mob essence and a system of like 20 chests so it doesn't back up, however, I would rather just sort it so everything but miniature hearts just gets destroyed (or dumped in lava).

I'm not to sure if this would work but you can try an item dropper. That'll probably do it.

You would then probably need to setup the dropper with a redstone timer to have it continually drop the items in it. Even then it would only drop 1 of an item at a time. 

How did you get them to get tossed into a lava pool? From what I've found, when the item reaches the end of the pipe, it just returns and bounces back and forth, it doesnt actually come out of the end of the transport pipe. I've been needing some kind of void pipe or chest or something. I've got several skeleton spawners i afk to collect mob essence and a system of like 20 chests so it doesn't back up, however, I would rather just sort it so everything but miniature hearts just gets destroyed (or dumped in lava).

I used an item request pipe pointed straight down over the block of lava.  When I right click the pipe, I request what I want dumped, then stand back and watch it burn.

okay, so you used the transfer pipes, and at the end you used a routed interface pipe i'm guessing? With an item responder chip whitelisted to whatever you want destroyed? I didn't realize that you could make those pipes "open ended" i guess you could call it.