Can someone help me with creating a server for my home network?

PhoenixSmith

I want to have a simple attack of the b team server for me and my family to play on. How hard is this to do? It would be for three computers all on the same network. Is there a tutorial for this or is it easy enough some one could explain it to me. Thanks! (We all have separate accounts...)

Not incredibly hard, you should just be able to download the server files, run it, and have your family connect to the server using the computers internal network IP (typically a 192.168.* number)

If you need to find your internal IP address for the machine the server will be on, you can follow these steps to get the info:

For Windows:

* Press Windows Key and R

* Enter in "cmd"

* click ok or press enter

* type in "ipconfig /all"

* Look for a line with "IPv4 Address" (in some cases you may only have an IPv6 Address, and you would need this value instead)

For Mac:

* Run terminal

* type in "ifconfig -a"

* Look for a line with "IPv4 Address" (in some cases you may only have an IPv6 Address, and you would need this value instead)

Edit: If for some reason the line of IPv4 Address does not exist on Mac output, it may be under a different header. I am unfamiliar with Mac to a massive extent and am not 100% sure if it prepends the info with the same as windows (last i knew i believed it did but it has been a few years since i did anything with a Mac)

Edited by Kalbintion

I want to have a simple attack of the b team server for me and my family to play on. How hard is this to do? It would be for three computers all on the same network. Is there a tutorial for this or is it easy enough some one could explain it to me. Thanks! (We all have separate accounts...)

The easiest way, since you are all on the same network, is to just run your B team launcher, create a world and then open it to lan, this will create a LAN server, it's easy to do. (After the world is loaded press Esc, then click "Open To Lan", then select your options and click "Start LAN World"). Everyone else has to have B Team installed for them to join. Once they do, they just open the B Team (Technic Launcher), press play and select multiplayer, it will scan for games on your local network, it should find the one you just opened.

Bad login is related to minecraft login session - close the launcher completely and relaunch it. The LAN server option btw is only good if you intend to be playing at the same time all the time, otherwise the server can be left open 24/7 and your family can get on without the necessity of the map owner running the game and opening it to LAN (thus leaving themself in the game) also, the LAN option can fail on some situations with modpacks as the mods may not be intended to be working over a LAN setup (even though they should theretically work, their coding may be different for a server-side and client-side set-up causing issues when you open a client-side map to the world)

As for the connect issue, I would need to see the error in full in order to figure it out. If i had to guess though, it could be antivirus software preventing the connection but again, need to see the error more.

Thank you again! I got in after relogging and I will look into the security software differences. One more thing though... The server is not attack of the b team... I mean it has NEI and the items should be there and can even go into your inventory, but when you try to place them they turn into vanilla variants or just dont work.Theres no new biomes, etc... What should I do about that?

Post the server log here. It'll be in the server folder. Need to check it to make sure it is loading everything correctly.

Pasting Logs
Use one of the following methods to show us your log files:
* Attach file to posting
* Use http://pastebin.com and paste the resulting URL in your post
* Use http://paste.ubuntu.com and paste the resulting URL in your post

For overly sized files, attaching or using the above URLs may not work, you can use one of the following for these types of cases
* http://mediafire.com
* http://dropbox.com

You failed to remove all of the IPs btw, but it doesn't matter. Also, sorry for the confusion, it seems you posted the server.log file instead of what I intended of the file "ForgeModLoader-server-0.log" being posted - sorry about that. That file will contain the actual information for the AotB server being ran with forge whereas the server.log file is related to basic login/logout and chat messages, etc.

Edited by Kalbintion

if you are running a server and the blocks won't place (except for vanilla items) then it sounds like you're running the minecraft_server.jar file.  You should be running the BTeam.jar file.  Just edit your launch.sh file (or launch.bat) so that it points to the right file.

weirleader - its odd that you mention that since their server log indicated no such thing of it. but it was definitely something to take into consideration

As for the missing blocks, all i can suggest is to post a screenshot (or type out) of the blocks it says you're missing and a launcher log from your client side. Also, if you're running the OS in another language besides english it is more than likely that the blocks being said it isnt there is that one of the characters in it are getting transformed into the system language rather than sticking with the english characters.

Eye_Mine, it's rude to hijack other people's threads with your own questions - I don't actually know what you're asking here so please post again in your own thread with the question reworded for those of us who read english language.

(are you asking "how to do so educated in servers""how to become educated in server setups"?  Hm...)

General guide to running any setup

Download server files

unzip if necessary

look for "launch" or "start" files,

run appropriate launch or start files (if none, run the jar file)

its up

Issue with this? Doesn't state how to get the Ip to connect if necessary, nor does it include any information about port forwarding, firewall issues, etc, but the server will be running assuming everything else is appropriate.

Do you understand why these types of guides are more technical now? There is in no way to tell what system you have, what you have installed that may conflict with a server, or what you know.

Right, I see what he meant now - it's not technical because people are just trying to sound smart, it's technical because it's trying to solve a specific technical problem for a person, Eye_Mine.  Because it's a specific problem for a specific person, any problem other people have may not be the same, which is why it's rude to hijack (you're asking for people to ignore the original poster and their issues in favour of you in the thread they made).

Hope that clears it up.