Question about hearts

EAS

Iv got the 5th(red>orange>yellow>green>blue)tire first heart on survival :D Finally!

[Pic too big]

'>

So my question, how do you craft the green canister? and if i can what is the next color?

you can't craft it, as of yet it is still to be implemented and only available in creative

Can i go above blue? i mean exo can add 20 hearts, will it work or it will crash the game?

It can go to a very high number, don't know how high, but hundreds isn't an issue (it is an issue displaying it usefully, but not an issue for actually having that amount).

If I had to guess, I'd say somewhere from 15,000 to 30,000 hearts-ish maximum before minecraft has problems, so feel free to push it as high as you can if you want.

Last I looked the information was stored in only enough space for a short word (16 bits or between 00-FF), so that would allow up to 65535 health if it's unsigned (32,767.5 hearts), or 32,767 health if signed (it doesn't need to be signed, but I'm pretty sure I've seen mob HP drop into negatives before so I think it is) which would give a max of a mere 16,383 hearts. :)

It's possible that it's got more room to expand in memory while the game is running (java can do surprising and unexpected things with memory whether you told it to or not) but even if it was fine it'd be when you save and quit - that's where you'd get the issue (or on loading from that file after the bad save).  They might have had some foresight that made them decide to allocate a little more space for it, but of all the things I can say about minecraft "thinking carefully about what you might need the codebase to do later so you don't have to keep rewriting core systems" isn't one of the things I'd bring up as an example of why minecraft is good.

It wouldn't be hard to test - it's been a while since I last looked at this now so if you're really interested I can find out exactly what it'll handle for you?

Well so far (without using the remove gene exploit) I have 55 hearts (on the health bar, this is represented as 10 Red, 10 Orange, 10 Yellow, 10 Green, 10 Blue and 5 Purple).

It was easy really, all I did was get the 10 Red and Yellow Heart Canisters (to get up to 30 hearts) then I used the More Health gene. I know it's a bug but what it does is it takes all of your health, adds it on top and then subtracts 5 hearts.

I never actually saw the Green hearts, it just went straight from Yellow to Purple.

I didn't mean to sound patronising, Kalbintion, just rereading that :D  If it was just for you I'd have just said "It stores the data in four bytes" and I know you'd have got it from a one sentence description - the full explanation is for other people who stumble upon it in future (could be anybody, might help someone by having more info, though I can't think how I've been helped by people leaving extra stuff in forums before).

Turgle that's correct, yeah - the advanced genetics stuff naively assumes you've got 10 hearts and that's it - any more from any other source in your 'true' hitpoints rather than absorption bonus ones (from golden apples etc.) means the math is uses is based on incorrect values and as a result the total ends up higher than expected.  Little improvements keep cropping up (if you 'remove gene' you won't keep your current health anymore so with just advanced genetics there should be no way to boost hearts beyond 15, it's interplay with other mods that's an issue).

Edited by Loader

Turgle that's correct, yeah - the advanced genetics stuff naively assumes you've got 10 hearts and that's it - any more from any other source in your 'true' hitpoints rather than absorption bonus ones (from golden apples etc.) means the math is uses is based on incorrect values and as a result the total ends up higher than expected.  Little improvements keep cropping up (if you 'remove gene' you won't keep your current health anymore so with just advanced genetics there should be no way to boost hearts beyond 15, it's interplay with other mods that's an issue).

Yeah, I just figured that that particular gene was meant for the mod to be played on it's own XD

With the amount of health I have all I need is the Resistance gene and protective armour will become redundant, so I can make a nice suit of Exo Armour.

There is one consideration - the more hearts you have the tougher you are against most attacks, sure - the more armour you have the tougher you are against basic weapons (not TC rapiers), but there's a new thing to think about...

Witchery's new Death items deal a percentage of max HP, not a flat value.

What this means is that if you get hit for 15% of your max life each time it doesn't matter how many hearts you have, 7 hits is death.  The problem comes when you try to think of ways to mitigate that damage - regeneration when you've got a maximum of 10 hearts is a big deal, every couple seconds buys you an extra hit (because the weapon only does a tiny 1.5 hearts of damage in that situation it means the regeneration speed is a big deal).  If you had 100 hearts for example you'd take 15 hearts of damage a hit and you'd have to wait considerably longer to regenerate that amount.  Those big murderous PvP bullies are more vulnerable to those new weapons than the little guys...

In reality a player will carry both a rapier and one of death's weapons if they're a combat witch, so you'll still be better off with more hearts in general, it's just food for thought really but shows that it's not always so clear cut as that.  If your opponent knows you well then they can take advantage of just about anything, so keeping your capabilities hidden is more important than ever this time around.

Unfortunately I don't play on any Multiplayer servers :(

I'd like to, but my internet despises me when I try to join a server, so I just play on single player producing multiple time sinks of projects, including my new Underground Witchery Fortress. I'm gonna start up a thread with screenshots and a DL link for my map when it's done, and thus far (even in it's unfinished state) it's my favourite build.

But anyway, there's a lot of things that I'd love to do on a Multiplayer server but I just have some restraints/excuses, mainly being internet, school and an unwillingness to start over XD

• 2 months later...

Oh wow this thread...from May? Was it really thatl ong ago? It really doesn't feel like it...Loader how long have I been around here? lol...

But yeah, @Booster26 - hard to answer your question without going into a myriad of information, all of which stems from "have all canisters available (nix green) then inject self with iron golem dna from adv genetics to exploit a bug"...oh and the hearts possible from exo-armor...

Yep, unless advanced genetics has fixed it, that's correct.  You can get boosts from heart canisters, exo-armour and genes, but most of the time you encounter someone with dozens of hearts you'll find it's the genes bug.