BusinessElite Modpack Hacked and Deleted - A plead

Zero140

What happened

On June 10th, around 5:00PM BST the BusinessElite official website http://businessmodpack.com was hacked. The owner of BusinessElite, iPenguinMC was hacked. At the time iPenguin had the same passwords for his Technic Platform account as his Webhost and Email. That has changed of course. The website had been deleted, and the Modpack had also been deleted.

Why are you creating this thread?

iPenguinMC is the official owner of BusinessElite, I am creating this thread for the hopes that we get our Modpack back with our votes, or at least an explanation of what happened around that time of the deletion. BusinessElite has been apart of Technic for almost two years. iPenguin has already tried contacting the Technic Admins, but we haven't heard anything back. 

How do we know you're part of the official BE Server?

Honestly I don't have any proof, if you'd like you can talk to me on TeamSpeak or even in-game.

How do we know this is legit information?

I will try to get iPenguin to reply to this thread confirming all of this, if you'd like however you can even go to our website to confirm it for yourself, or look for BusinessElite on the modpack browser. It isn't there.

Here are some pictures and a link of the currently hidden modpack, iPenguin had re-made the modpack but made it hidden so the name doesn't get taken.

http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/businesselite.385133

The old BusinessElite Modpack page: http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/businesselite.540

Cached copy of the page: http://web.archive.org/web/20140209065103/http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/details/businesselite.540

Here is a screenshot of the statistics, that for some reason have stayed even after the deletion.

9810f03f3d242e08951e78b65e61b999.png

On 6/10 is when you see the massive drop in Runs and Installs. This may or may not persuade you into what had happened, but I hope it did.

What do you want us to do about it?

All I ask is for your support, iPenguin as well as others have spent 12 hours+ A day working on BusinessElite trying to get it where it was two days ago, seeing all of those votes which took almost 2 years to get just disappear out of thin air surprises me.

Edited by Zero140

I am matt1965pro, the Second in command of the BusinessElite Modpack. What happened is true and all we want is to get our pack back if possible so we can start reforming our player base. As already pointed out by Zero, i and countless others have spent 12+ hours to get the DNS, Website and forums back up, which we have completed the DNS and website, we just ask that if you cant get the pack back to how it was originally, at least give back some of our +1's and the URL.

Hi, i'm nightsta69, and i'm the lead op of the BusinessElite mod pack. Everything stated above is very true, and we all hope that something that can be done about this. This server has been around for quite some time, and it would be a shame to see it end up being lost because of the combination of hacking and not having anyone from this site do anything about it. I really hope this isn't the case. 

thanks.

Hello i'm kapi22011 and i'm a Mod on the BusinessElite mod Pack, Everything that is said here is very true, Yes that is truth also that the modpack + the website was hacked so because of that we hope the Technic Staff to help us with this problem.
Many people have played on the server for a long time and that would be a shame for others to stop playing For a reason like this.
we hope the Technic Staff can help us fix the problem or atleast  some of it.

Thanks.

Hi IM a Moderator on Business Elite mod pack and what they are saying is 100% correct for me it was down for 2 days that i could not get into the web or Team speak or the game and they have loosed a lot not just stats and votes but also customers that have moved on to other games now due to the server being off line. Plz at least check on a backup where the votes and modpack was and reinstate it for them.

just finished responding to a PM about this, so I'll give you guys the same info I gave him.

basically, the chances of the votes being transfered to the recreated modpack are slim.  I won't say it's impossible because I'm not sct, but similar events have happened in the past and it did not happen in those cases as far as I'm aware.  however, the updated platform will make a lot of this a moot point by pretty much tossing the +1 rating system entirely because of problems like this among others.  I realize that saying "oh an update that has no ETA and has been 'coming soon' for months will totally solve your problem someday" is not super helpful, but it's the most helpful I can be in this situation currently.

just finished responding to a PM about this, so I'll give you guys the same info I gave him.

basically, the chances of the votes being transfered to the recreated modpack are slim.  I won't say it's impossible because I'm not sct, but similar events have happened in the past and it did not happen in those cases as far as I'm aware.  however, the updated platform will make a lot of this a moot point by pretty much tossing the +1 rating system entirely because of problems like this among others.  I realize that saying "oh an update that has no ETA and has been 'coming soon' for months will totally solve your problem someday" is not super helpful, but it's the most helpful I can be in this situation currently.

Thanks for the reply :), is there any way you could push this up to the actual Technic Admins? (Unless you're actually one of them, if so i'm sorry :P) We've been with Technic for awhile... we'd hate to all of a sudden lose that.

How much of a stretch would it be to say that iPenguin is either:

A) An idiot with person security

or

B) Decided to close down

Penguin did not decide to shut down, when this happened we got Penguin in TeamSpeak and started to at least get the DNS up and running since that's what people used to log into the server, so we could tell them what's happening. Since the Webhost was down, there wasn't a way to get any word out.

We just recently finally got a new webhost and Penguin had to change the domain NS's, currently we're working on a brand new website. Expect a reply from Penguin tomorrow on this thread.

Edited by Zero140

Hey guys,

I am sorry to hear you guys got hacked and your modpack deleted. This is a good example of using secure unique passwords for different accounts.

Bad news: @freakachu is right. It is impossible to retrieve stats/"+1" data. Your modpack was deleted. The data is gone. Zapped.

Good news: With the coming release of the new Platform, ranking/statistics will be radically changing. The stats for packs will be reset to adopt this new system. So in theory everyone will get a fresh new start with the new system. RIP "+1"s.

I'm sure you'll get your following back if you have dedicated players. If you guys have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me.

-Gen

Hey guys,

I am sorry to hear you guys got hacked and your modpack deleted. This is a good example of using secure unique passwords for different accounts.

Bad news: @freakachu is right. It is impossible to retrieve stats/"+1" data. Your modpack was deleted. The data is gone. Zapped.

Good news: With the coming release of the new Platform, ranking/statistics will be radically changing. The stats for packs will be reset to adopt this new system. So in theory everyone will get a fresh new start with the new system. RIP "+1"s.

I'm sure you'll get your following back if you have dedicated players. If you guys have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me.

-Gen

Thanks for the reply! I can see how it was our fault, and I can understand. I won't make a fuss about getting our +1's back, all though I must ask if it's possible to get our old link and API to where it was before deletion? So for the people who already have the modpack installed will still work with updates. It'd be amazing if that was possible.

It's worth noting that this is not the first time this has happened. We established our policy the first time it occurred- no carrying over +1's, period. If you're the admin of a server that runs a platform modpack, please be aware that a particular server-company has been going around trying to get into rival servers' modpacks so they can delete them for awhile. In the new system it won't be possible for users to delete packs to a point where they can't be restored, but please don't treat this site as a site where you can be lax on security, even though it's just a stupid minecraft modpack website. If your pack is popular, this is probably the only site you frequent where someone is ACTIVELY trying to attack you. It's unfortunate that this is where minecraft server hosting has gone, but it's the reality we live in.

As for your most recent request, to the best of my knowledge, since your old pack was deleted, there's nobody occupying that slug and you can create a new pack with the same thing. If someone not you has created a new pack with that slug, let me know and I will delete it so that you can have the slug back.

Yes that is me iPenguinMC.

@CanVox, I am quite excited for the new system to come out in this case. I did, re-create the slug, and if the API link is set to be the same, that would be quite helpful. Unfortunately minecraft server hosting seems to be a quite threatening place now, especially with all these server empires where smaller non-business servers are forced out of the game. However, BusinessElite will attempt to survive and we will be ready when the new system comes out.

As for your most recent request, to the best of my knowledge, since your old pack was deleted, there's nobody occupying that slug and you can create a new pack with the same thing. If someone not you has created a new pack with that slug, let me know and I will delete it so that you can have the slug back.

Any updates on if this was completed?