Tekkit vs Feed the Beast?

dreamer1986

After I started watching direwolf's 20 videos, I noticed he has a mod pack, and that mod pack can be installed with the Feed the Beast Launcher. And this was the first time I heard of this launcher.

Since I am very new to these launchers in general, can you please explain what are the main differences between the two?

When I google searched this topic, I saw discussions comparing the two that are at least one year old, and so, out of date.

Main difference: mods and their count.

Tekkit mods:

http://wiki.technicpack.net/Tekkit

Direwolf20 mods:

https://feedthebeast.atlassian.net/wiki/display/PML/Direwolf20

Edit: FTB is over my head. I wanted to make small steps and not big leaps into deep water so I chose tekkit over FTB.

If you are going to use the FTB launcher you'll need to take a look at the minecraft version that FTB is based on since most popular FTB modpacks are based on older MC version.

Edited by bochen415

Like bochen415 said, FTB packs are often outdated, and they often just pack as many mods as they can. This makes it complicated to start without hours of tutorials, while Tekkit is balanced and easy to start with because in early game you don't have much choice for power generation or automation.

Well, after spending a few hours comparing different modpacks, I see different advantages and disadvantages. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If I want the most mod crowded install, the FTB Monster pack has it all. But I don't know how stable such a huge install can be.

If I want a Magic based install, the most up to date mod pack is the FTB Magic World 2. Hexxit seems outdated, although it looks like it has more stuff fit for adventuring. But Magic World with one of the included Texture Packs and Biomes O Plenty looks awesome. I don't know which one of these is the most fun.

If I want a Technic Sci Fi install, Tekkit seems the best. But I can't seem to see the big differences between it and FTB Tech World.

Direwolf's mod options don't seem very interesting to me, but I might try them to learn a part of the mods I would like to use from the other packs, while watching his videos.

And about what you said, FTB doesn't seem oudated at all, many of its modpacks are for Minecraft 1.6.4...

Edited by dreamer1986

This isn't a discussion what's the best modpack because there's no definition of 'best' modpack. Everyone has his own best modpack.

Everyone likes different things. Your post about different types of FTB and technic is basically right but I guess there's not a lot of

people who played all the modpacks you mention and can give you all the differences.

Sometime the difference is just a couple of items and recipes. And there's always an option to try a custom modpack but that's problematic.

FTB magic world is outdated, maybe you meant magic world 2.

If your coming from the vanilla MC endgame world then technic is your best option.

Edited by bochen415

FeedTheBeast tends to be the "sandwich-with-everything", i.e. many of its packs are large and inclusive, with many redundancies and high resource costs. You will need a rather current and well-equipped computer to run them properly.

Tekkit does have higher requirements than vanilla Minecraft, but it is for the most part rather balanced and focuses on a few resource-efficient core mods. Notable exceptions from this are Mystcraft and Dimensional Doors, and to some extent Galacticraft.

With the Technic Launcher relaunch pending, let's have this discussion when that one goes live.

The relaunch concerns the launcher, not Tekkit or the other modpacks. The devs have stated, however, that their goal is to make it easier for users to find modpacks of interest via the launcher, and enable some social features as well. So we can expect a much better overview of what is actually in the launcher when the relaunch goes live. Right now, it is somewhat tedious to even find stuff in there, besides the few obvious/popular ones.

I guess the new Technic Launcher will get closer to what the FTB launcher already does, and maybe some things on top.

If you are just trying to get a start in a modpack, Tekkit is a good place to start right now.

And about what you said, FTB doesn't seem oudated at all, many of its modpacks are for Minecraft 1.6.4...

Well, my informations are outdated then x)

Something that you might want to know, FTB packs, last time I tested some, were not working correctly, or at all, on signleplayer. That mean you'll have to create a local server if you want to test things or play solo

FTB packs tend to be generalistic.  Tech world though, is focused on, you got it, farming.  no seriously, it is pretty close to what tekkit is, but not quite.

Main difference between the two launcher's packs?  Simple.  Different developers.

I tend to find the ftb launcher to be a bit more fidgity then the technic launcher.  Unless you have the console open, you won't know if anything goes wrong during login with the ftb launcher.  At least the technic launcher says when it couldn't log you in and asks if you want to play offline.  The most stable launcher though, in my experience, is the ATLauncher.  But that's a whole `nother horse...

Interesting that the Tech World 2 is similar to Tekkit, but more focused on Farming. But betweeen the two, Tekkit seems the most well developed, using my untrained eyes.

But still, what do you think about Hexxit vs Magic World 2?

Also, I've discovered already the ATLauncher, but honestly, I don't like the packs...

Edited by dreamer1986

yeah, never said the packs were all that great.  but the launcher it's self is stable.

Haven't tried playing with magic world 2 so can't really give an opinion on the difference between it and hexxit yet.  but looking at the mod listing, hexxit seems to have the easier ore gen and more features for Role playing, while magic farm seems to be setup to be more challenging in solo play.

I think the only thing Technic is really lacking on is a proper magic pack. I finally decided to install FTB again to play Agrarian Skies, but I quickly lost interest with the grind. I had tried a few other packs before but they didn't run well on my PC.