Automatic Obsidian Mining Ideas (Tekkit for Minecraft 1.5.2)

AprilElyse

Hello so I am still playing on Tekkit for Minecraft 1.5.2 / 1.5.1 and I am staying on this version because I am very attached to my world. I am trying to automate the making of Energy Conduits and need a way to farm Obsidian that can be automated and I am wondering what I should do..? 

I am thinking of using a trench for the short term and just filling it with lava and just make it that way and get it with a mining turtle but it's not fully automatetible . 

Alright, that means only Thermal Expansion 2 and no Cryotheum, so the Obsidian trench is out. You should still be able to create Obsidian by smelting Cobblestone (or surplus Netherrack) in a Magma Crucible for Lava, and turning that into Obsidian via Igneous Extruder, like Digdug hinted. Takes a water source and lots of power, but it will be automated.

The problem with producing in the Nether is the missing water source, so using Nether Lava as input is actually not trivial. Depending on where you build it, you will have to either tesseract the Lava or the water.

Edited by Curunir

The problem with producing in the Nether is the missing water source, so using Nether Lava as input is actually not trivial. Depending on where you build it, you will have to either tesseract the Lava or the water.

You don't need to build in the nether, just have a pump there connected to a liquid tesseract/phase pipe. You could then use aqueous accumulators to produce your water for you and voila, a no power required solution for near infinite obsidian (extruders don't use power, only lava and water). The only thing you'd have to power would be the pump itself which you can do with 4 redstone engines.

Edited by Digdug83

Alright, that means only Thermal Expansion 2 and no Cryotheum, so the Obsidian trench is out. You should still be able to create Obsidian by smelting Cobblestone (or surplus Netherrack) in a Magma Crucible for Lava, and turning that into Obsidian via Igneous Extruder, like Digdug hinted. Takes a water source and lots of power, but it will be automated.

well when I said make a trench I didn't mean something that would be totally automated, I was thinking of making  a shallow 1 block deep pool of lava and making it 3 blocks wide and 18 or 24 long , and fill it with lava  and then pour water over the lava to turn it into obsidian. and then put down a mining turtle and set it to tunnel and to mine the obsidian. At this point I am not too the point where I have enough power to make something fully automated. This is what I meant. 

Doesn't the turtle need power or fuel, too? You could opt to use MFR Block Breakers instead of the turtle, although I only tried them in Tekkit 1.2.x (Minecraft 1.6.4). The best trench method is with Lava and Gelid Cryotheum next to Block Breakers, but Cryo has only been added in TE3, so Tekkit 1.1.x does not have it.

If you can't afford the energy cost to smelt stone to lava in a Magma Crucible, then you'll want to use existing lava. You should build a Tesseract-connected Igeneous Extruder, as has been suggested. It's your choice if you build it in the Nether and pipe the water in via Tesseract, or build it in the Overworld and pipe lava in via Tesseract. You could also use Overworld lava, but those pools are drained quickly, and not always simple to use. Ender Tanks might help as well, but I don't know if these are available in your game version.

Edited by Curunir

Doesn't the turtle need power or fuel, too? You could opt to use MFR Block Breakers instead of the turtle, although I only tried them in Tekkit 1.2.x (Minecraft 1.6.4). The best trench method is with Lava and Gelid Cryotheum next to Block Breakers, but Cryo has only been added in TE3, so Tekkit 1.1.x does not have it.

If you can't afford the energy cost to smelt stone to lava in a Magma Crucible, then you'll want to use existing lava. You should build a Tesseract-connected Igeneous Extruder, as has been suggested. It's your choice if you build it in the Nether and pipe the water in via Tesseract, or build it in the Overworld and pipe lava in via Tesseract. You could also use Overworld lava, but those pools are drained quickly, and not always simple to use. Ender Tanks might help as well, but I don't know if these are available in your game version.

you can use coal as fuel in the Mining Turtles.