Can't host a modpack.zip file

irock1234321

I've scoured the internet, looking for ways to make the link work for the techniclauncher-- I've tried dropbox (both copying the link after exiting the pop-up after the "share link" redirection as well as changing the www. to dl.  and appending "?dl=1" to the end) and copy.com (which doesn't seem to work either).  Now, I seem to be the only one that has this problem; these solutions seem to work for everybody except me, it seems.  I've tested the url and when it is entered in the browser, it leads directly to a download of the file.  Is it an error with the techniclauncher, a human error, or something beyond my control?  Any input would be appreciated, as this is a very frustrating subject.

I use dropbox but use a public folder. It allows me to copy URLs directly to the modpack without a download page. If you set up dropbox within the last two years or so, you won't have a public folder by default.

You can set up a public folder by following this guide. After that, any file you put in your public folder or in a sub folder within the folder can be directly linked by going to your public folder, right clicking the file you want, and selecting 'copy public link'. It'll stick a direct link to the file on your clipboard which you can then just paste into the path on the modpack editor page.

Edited by SinisterPixel

I use dropbox but use a public folder. It allows me to copy URLs directly to the modpack without a download page. If you set up dropbox within the last two years or so, you won't have a public folder by default.

You can set up a public folder by following this guide. After that, any file you put in your public folder or in a sub folder within the folder can be directly linked by going to your public folder, right clicking the file you want, and selecting 'copy public link'. It'll stick a direct link to the file on your clipboard which you can then just paste into the path on the modpack editor page.

I've tried that, and it leads to the page that states that if I want the public folder, i must upgrade to pro.  This is, at minimum, $99.  Is there some other way besides the link copying or adding ?dl=1 to the end of the link location?  All three methods have gotten me no farther, sadly...

• 5 months later...

Hey, figured out the fix to make dropbox work thanks to this forum:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/off-topic/computers-science-technology/195741-modpack-hosts-not-dropbox-or-google-drive

when you upload your modpack file to dropbox and attain the link by hitting share and (dont get put off by the email thing) click get link, it will copy the link to clipboard, sound familiar?

well heres the most important step

when you paste your link into the modpack file location box in technicpack, simply add this to the end of your link:

?dl=1

example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/blahblah/Modpack.zip

becomes:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/blahblah/Modpack.zip?dl=1

amazing xD

also using something like webs.com to make free website, and upload the file like you would  a photo or something  you want on the site, then just use its direct link, works fine also.