12GB of RAM and 20 FPS???

Zach Brown

So I just got my new laptop for college- nice machine- 16GB of RAM, dedicated card with 1GB of memory, Intel i7. First thing I did on it was install x32 and x64 Java and download the Technic Launcher (didn't even install vanilla because the Launcher can do that as well). Ran Voltz for the first time with 8GB dedicated and I was only getting around 20 FPS. Restarted with 12GB dedicated and no change was noticeable. Next I created a default world, and the additional terrain to render caused the FPS to drop to around 10. Is it just me, or is something up? The specs don't seem to match the performance.

If knowing more of my specs would help you guys help me, just ask. Thanks in advance!

• Discord Moderator

Allocating more than 3G to the client is just wasteful and likely counter productive (Java can be "odd" with memory management). Make sure you have the latest and correct drivers. Try using Optifine. There are other threads that go into more detail.

Just saw a guy today with a recent graphics card update, looks like the new nVidia drivers don't necessarily detect OpenGL as a good reason to switch away from integrated graphics on laptops.  Check to see if you have something like this;

BtOxsC9.png

Use this link:

http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1235&game=Minecraft

This should tell you how well you run your hardware runs Minecraft. Voltz is probably gonna be twice as intensive as that so you can probably get a good idea as to why it might be slow.

Edited by Liszt's Right Hand