Aquiring Iron Golem

DethAdder

I was hoping someone might know if it's possible to get iron golems in the game now that villages are disabled. I need one for my advanced genetics. I'll explain what I've done.

I used the de-zombification syringe to create my own village in a woodland biome. Got 17 villagers and also have went into the configs and set the woodland biome to true for village spawning in case it matters for spawning golems. thus far though I haven't been able to get one to spawn. I was wonder if there is anything more I need to do or if there is even another way to get one within the game short of cheating one in(if there is even a spawn egg for one I haven't checked). Any help would be much appreciated :)

Iron golems can be generated by the player, they can also still be obtained through villagers - theres many different ways to get villagers in your world. Golems will spawn regardless of its available to be a village spawning biome or not, since they rely on an internal indication if an area is a village or not. Keep in mind, this also only looks for doors within range, meaning if theyre outside range, theyll be classified as a different village, so your village of 17 may have been split into a village of 8 and 9, for example.

ok thanks. I should be getting one then cause I have basically duped a setup i had used in the past in vanilla with doors set into the ground with glass over on one side in a square for centralization. I may have not given it enough time, or I may have to expand it a little since I didn't use as many doors as I did before. Either way thanks for the info :)

you can generate an iron golem using 4 iron bloscks and a pumpkin in this pattern.

pumkin

iron block      iron block         iron block

iron block

you can generate an iron golem using 4 iron bloscks and a pumpkin in this pattern.

pumkin

iron block      iron block         iron block

iron block

Oh man I totally forgot about that.. haha. I have done it before in vanilla even.

A little more info/update for anyone trying what i did above though. Seems the villagers would not try to breed nor an iron golem spawn till after I shut the game down and reloaded it. Must be something has to update or some such with a reload to get it acting right. Now all is normal I can smelt all the villagers I want and they'll breed back up. :)

Can you post a picture of your set up? I had over 400 villagers and didn't have a single iron golem spawn.

It has to do with the number of doors in the village. I think you need 24 or something like that. Simply spawning villagers with an auto spawner isn't enough. 

From http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Iron_Golem#Spawning

Spawning

Golems will spawn in a 16 by 16 by 6 radius at the center of all the 21 or more valid doors in a village if it has at least ten villagers. Additional houses beyond the 21st will make no difference as far as golem spawning is concerned, but you will need 29 of them, at least initially, in order to spawn ten villagers naturally (although after that you can cut them back down to 21 if you want to). However, having additional villagers beyond the tenth will allow more golems to spawn, in increments of one golem for every ten villagers (so 0-9 villagers allows no golems to spawn, the cap is set at zero; 10-19 raises that cap to one, 20-29 raises it to two, etc.). This cap only limits the number of golems in a village at any one time; as soon as one is killed or leaves the village boundaries, a new one can spawn in its place immediately.

The golem spawning zone is a 16×16×6 area centered around the center point of the village. As long as all the conditions are met (10 villagers, 21 houses, golem cap not reached), then each game tick (1/20 of a second) there is a 1/7000 chance the game will try to spawn a golem. Basically it picks a random number between 0 and 6999, and if it picks 0, then up to ten attempts are made to spawn a golem. A random spot is chosen inside the spawning zone, and if that spot contains a solid block with at least 2×2×4 space above it (including liquids—golems can spawn in water, which is key to the iron farm designs linked below), then a golem is spawned there.

This is repeated up to ten times or until a golem is spawned, whichever comes first. Then, the check is repeated each game tick, until enough golems have been spawned to reach the cap, at which point spawning is put on hold until either a golem is eliminated or the cap is raised. This means that the average expected spawning rate (for an iron farm, for example), if the golems are killed or flushed outside the village boundary quickly enough so that the cap is never reached and new ones are able to spawn in their place immediately, is roughly 10 golems (30-50 ingots if you're farming them) per hour.

Edit: Figured instead of bullshitting around vanilla info, why not just grab the actual vanilla info?

Edited by Kalbintion

Standard minecraft 'house door' detection rules - there must be a dark square inside and to the sides, a light square that's walkable (lit by sunlight) on the other side then it'll detect properly.

The minecraft wiki is a good place to get all of the details in depth like Kalbintion suggested.

Basically what was said by Kalbination and loader is what I do, but here's what it looks like.

J0YGNg.png

btw, not sure if it made any difference that I set village spawning to true for the woodlands biome this is in in the configs or not.

Edit: I can't seem to do images right here, been a long time since uploading and trying any.

Edited by DethAdder

I find Imgur is easiest for images - that setup looks ok, but remember that a village can have only 1 villager per 3 doors - sometimes the village generates with a higher number of villagers than should've been able to be there and you need to add a lot of doors/housing in before it starts to increase in population nicely.

Thanks, I haven't tried Imgur yet. Image shack has changed a lot since i used to use it.

My normal setup would usually have ten doors per side(and more actual housing), but I was lazy and with the ability to de-zombify them so easily I just haven't gotten around to expanding it out yet.

Edited by DethAdder

Either that or i've been lied to by countless videos and other sources of information. I generally give some merit to information if it can be found a few dozen places... Though I havent made a villager farm/iron golem farm in a long long time (try when villagers and trading were implemented for the last time i did it)