How to make a mod

MCMaster87

How to make a mod for dummies WINDOWS GUIDE

Ok now I've seen many people on technic forums that ask "I wanna go into Modding how do i do it " even saw on a moderators *cough*neowolf*cough* profile feed they asked so heres a guide:

Download Minecraft Coder Pack

Download Eclipse Luna

Download Java Development Kit 8

Download Forge Src (MUST BE SRC NOT INSTALLER OR UNIVERSAL)

Make a Folder to keep the mod stuff in

Drag all of the MCP files and put it in your mod folder

Once you Fully installed JDK open a folder then go to if your 64bit Program Files if your 32bit Program Files x86 go to Java then JDK whatever the version is use version 1.80 u5 because their is some good features in it then go to bin then look at the path bar click on the empty space your java path should be something like C:Program FilesJavajdk1.8.0_05bin then go to Computer/Preferences/Advanced System Settings/Environment Variables/ go to system variables then scroll down to Path then click on the path and click edit you should see the path its probably from your graphics company then go to the bottom of that path then put in a semi colon; so it should be your system path;"Your Java Path" with quotes then press Ok then Ok then Ok then exit computer prefs

Backup minecraft

Clean install your minecraft

Copy your bin folder in the .minecraft folder

Open up your Mod folder

Go to the jars folder

Paste minecraft bin into the jars folder

Take the Forge folder from Forge Src and put it to the main directory of your modding folder

Open Forge

Double click install or something and it will install the packages for forge

Go to Mod/src/minecraft/ you should see something hopefully familiar 

Make a new folder called your name or your modding alias

Make a new folder inside MCMaster87 or whatever your alias is doesn't have to be a alias so make the new folder called whatever you want

Open Eclipse then select a workspace it should be Mod folder/eclipse

And their you go now all you have to do is learn java and code away!

• Moderators

is use version 1.80 u5 because their is some good features

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a modder, but if you create a mod with jdk 8 you aren't making it java 7 compatible?

Wouldn't the wiser route be to code with jdk 7?

• Discord Moderator

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not a modder, but if you create a mod with jdk 8 you aren't making it java 7 compatible?

Wouldn't the wiser route be to code with jdk 7?

Mostly correct in practice and 100% correct in spirit. As long as you didn't use any API calls which were specific to Java 8 and only used Java 7 API structures and method you would probably be fine. However, it is easy to let something slip by unless you are extremely diligent. In practice, it makes sense to use the API which you plan on targeting for distribution.