Tekkit Launcher jar is a zip file?

Hi everyone, today I formatted one of my machines and wanted to get tekkit back on it, upon dowloading the JAR file from the website I noticed the jar is now a zip file and to be honest I really have no idea what to do with it, it just has a few random files I've never seen before. I tried using the EXE launcher but that doesn't work at all, just gives me a terminate application error. I also tried looking around but to no avail if anyone could give me a hand that would be great!

Thanks!

That seems to be the same contents as the jar launcher.

if re-downloading it didn't work then try renaming the .zip to .jar and running it.

Edit: just tested, IE does think it's a zip file for what ever reason. maybe a site admin should look into it. (IE issue according to below post).

Edit: just tested, IE does think it's a zip file for what ever reason.

IE ignores what the server says (content-type) anyway. IE snoops at the content itself, and then ignores the content-type sent by the server any time it pleases. And, it doesn't give you warnings when it does this either. It's done this since at least IE 6.

A .jar file is really just a .zip file with a different extension. The only difference is that .jar files usually only contain .class files and resources, whereas a zip can be anything, but this is really just a convention. They can be used completely interchangeably.

I can't test IE right now, since I'm on a linux machine, but you should try downloading a .txt document from a server that contains html tags. I wouldn't be surprised if IE changed the extension on it to .html, without giving warning.

Basically, the solution here, is to stop using a primitive, unenlightened browser.

Go Chrome or firefox, they're both functional and nice. (you stay the hell out of here, flamewar, we don't like you.)

Reminds me of a bug thread reporting that an image would open in IE as experted (in a new tab), but would open the download window in FF. This being caused by the server giving the image a "application/binary" MIME instead of an image MIME.

.jar files are .zip files. (Rename one to .zip and see what happens.) The difference between .jar and .zip is that it tells Java there are other things in there, like a manifest with a start class, the META-INF, and other sorts of things.

It's sort of like how, if you have a brown box that says "Audio Emporium" on the side, it's still a brown box, but you expect it to have a stereo in it.

• 3 months later...