How to deal with massive amounts of liquid?

Ironclaw2000

I just built a small mob grinder, consisting of a 5x5 space of cursed earth, and a grinder, and is been producing mob essence like mad! It filled a tank 20 blocks high, and 12 liquid managers, and the pipes are still full! How to you guys deal with such massive amount of liquid?

Edited by Ironclaw2000

If you have the required resources, an ME network with Extra Cells for liquid storage can store quite a lot. But the largest liquid storage I know is provided by multi-block structures like Railcraft Steel Tanks. Unfortunately, there is currently no mod in Tekkit that provides something like that. You might opt to add such a mod yourself.

I believe that a single 64k Fluid Storage cell/disk from Extra Cells can hold in excess of 13k buckets of fluid.  Thus a single ME Drive bay with ten 64 Fluid Storage cells can hold over 130,000 buckets of fluid!  That all in the space of a single block.  Granted building said 64k Fluid Storage cells can be expensive but there you go.

130000 may be much, but a Steel Tank can easily scale to hold millions of buckets. It all depends on what you consider large-scale.

Also observe that total capacity decreases if you store more than one type of fluid in a Fluid Storage Cell. Same effect as with regular (non-fluid) Storage Cells.

Just for clarity's sake a single byte in a Fluid Storage cell can hold 1/4 bucket of liquid.  A full 64K Fluid Storage cell would be capable of holding 16,384 buckets of fluid.  As per the Extra Cells wiki.

After reading up about Steel Tanks I have come to understand that they were indeed capable of holding mighty amounts of fluids.  However in a number of discussion threads that ran when Extra Cells came out some short comings of the tanks were illuminated.  Apparently very large Steel Tanks that were largely full caused allot of lag.  Also resizing or moving Steel Tanks was a problem because one needed to be drain them before breaking the multi-block object.  Finally I was led to believe that the flow rate, in or out, was not terribly fast.  Every agreed they were useful and very aesthetically pleasing.

The nice thing about using Fluid Cells is that the fluid, once in network, can go anywhere in the network virtually instantly.  Moving fluids in and out of the network can also happen very quickly.  A single Fluid Import/Export bus can move 40 Buckets/second and this can be easily scaled.  Or one can simply grab the Fluid Cells out of the ME Drive enclosures and physically move them much like taking an external HDD from one computer and walk it over to another and take the TB's of data with it faster than trying to send if via Ethernet.

Unless you are looking to store multi-millions of buckets you should be fine using the Extra Cells Fluid Storage cells.  Granted its vastly more "expensive" than Steel Tanks (and doesn't have the same visual appeal) its fast and transports relatively easily.

Correction about that Steel Tank: The numbers are in Millibuckets, so the max-sized Steel Tank from Railcraft can hold *only* 20736 buckets. So Extra Cells are actually not bad, comparing to this. The Steel Tank still is somewhat easier to make, but takes up much more room.

And of course, you would need to install Railcraft to get access to it.