Server on small LAN party.

So I'm probably hosting a small server for our small LAN party on my computer, because it's the best of the bunch. Now I was wondering, how many people would be able to join without too much lag, when I want to play myself too. Network speeds won't be a real issue, we'll have Gigabit Ethernet. I have an Intel i7 3770, with 8 gigs of ram. I think I'd be able to address about 5 to Tekkit.

So... Any thoughts?

I would start the server with 2GB and see what happens. It depends a lot on what people are doing, mostly with the machines, not just with how many people you have. Bump it to 3 or maybe 4 if you start seeing "Server can't keep up" messages. Otherwise, you should be able to handle 4 or 5 people without too much problem, especially on a LAN.

I think you would need an internet connection to authenticate your minecraft log in details. So even though you can connect via a LAN IP to tekkit servers just fine and the data doesn't have to travel over the net I don't think you can fire tekkit up without an internet connection.

I run an online server for me and my friends. I have never had more then six people on at once and it has run fine while I play. You do not need to do anything to connect to your own server.

I have read that most online server hosting companies give 60-100mB of RAM per player.

You will find that the MAJOR source of lag is players exploring the world. The stress on the server to generate the terrain and then send it to people can be a lot. This is the only time that I have had a lot of trouble, and have seen the server throwing "can not keep up" messages. I usually resolve this by running a "/save-all" dumping the new terrain to the hard disk. If that doesn't work I usually stop and restart the server which again seems to write the new terrain to the hard disk freeing up RAM.

I run an online server for me and my friends. I have never had more then six people on at once and it has run fine while I play. You do not need to do anything to connect to your own server.

I have read that most online server hosting companies give 60-100mB of RAM per player.

You will find that the MAJOR source of lag is players exploring the world. The stress on the server to generate the terrain and then send it to people can be a lot. This is the only time that I have had a lot of trouble, and have seen the server throwing "can not keep up" messages. I usually resolve this by running a "/save-all" dumping the new terrain to the hard disk. If that doesn't work I usually stop and restart the server which again seems to write the new terrain to the hard disk freeing up RAM.

You can eliminate the lag created by exploring by using a plugin similar to WorldBorder. It allows you to set a border radius and then has a command to force generate the terrain to that border. This means that no matter where anybody goes, no generation will occur.

Back on topic, you should be fine with 5gb. I ran a server from home (over the internet) with 0.8mbit upload for 5 people on 4gb of ram without any issues.

i am also trying to have a small Lan server but without internet. is there anyway me and my friends can all log on without being conected to the internet

You have to hook up to the internet to download tekkit using your credentials. After that, you would just need to get everyone on the same private network.

So I'm probably hosting a small server for our small LAN party on my computer, because it's the best of the bunch. Now I was wondering, how many people would be able to join without too much lag, when I want to play myself too. Network speeds won't be a real issue, we'll have Gigabit Ethernet. I have an Intel i7 3770, with 8 gigs of ram. I think I'd be able to address about 5 to Tekkit.

So... Any thoughts?

Use an extra machine to host the server. With gigabit, the only lag you'll experience is minecraft doing things.

I would suggest throwing this on an extra machine. Not in a virtual drive, just an extra laptop/desktop someone might have. The setup is painless. I suggest WinSCP to add mods and PuTTY for commands.

with mineos, commands can also be given from the web interface but I really don't see a point in setting all that up for a simple LAN party.