Dwarf Fortress Question

Pulse95

Children can't work. But, if you want to assign dwarves other than children, I suggest http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/

Another handy tool (that includes dwarf therapist.) Is http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

There should be plenty of tutorials on how to assign dwarves to different labour using Dwarf therapist, but I'm too lazy to write one at the moment. I hope this helps!

Have an extra pickax > v.??? > select a dorf > l.abour > disable current jobs > Enable Mining > ??? > Profit

At least, that's how I remember how I made new miners, I always received plenty of migrants. A great deal of them were useless to me. "Alas, another animal dissector, I'm sorry urist, but you are now a blacksmith".

Children can't work. But, if you want to assign dwarves other than children, I suggest http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/

Another handy tool (that includes dwarf therapist.) Is http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0

There should be plenty of tutorials on how to assign dwarves to different labour using Dwarf therapist, but I'm too lazy to write one at the moment. I hope this helps!

Pfft... Only pussies use Dwarf Therapist.

I can't help but agree with this man whom is encased within a Taco. Anyone who uses external programs, other then The Lazy Newb Pack, to install a graphical pack, and disable Aquifers, is not fully enjoying the Dwarf Fortress experience.

No, only well organised people use Dwarf Therapist ;)

I can't help but agree with this man whom is encased within a Taco. Anyone who uses external programs, other then The Lazy Newb Pack, to install a graphical pack, and disable Aquifers, is not fully enjoying the Dwarf Fortress experience.

Hah, I use Lazy Newb Pack, so I guess I'm fully enjoying the Dwarf Fortress experience?

No, only well organised people use Dwarf Therapist ;)

Hah, I use Lazy Newb Pack, so I guess I'm fully enjoying the Dwarf Fortress experience?

I merely use it for convenience, and to disable a very frustrating and small part of the game, managing dwarfs, on the other hand, is not terribly difficult, I take the extra time to assign migrant dwarfs better tasks then their current ones, or and even better idea, is to disable them completely if you truly have no use for them, then they'll sit at the meeting hall, where they might eat your supplies up, but you at least know where free and able dwarfs are at?

disable them completely if you truly have no use for them, then they'll sit at the meeting hall, where they might eat your supplies up, but you at least know where free and able dwarfs are at?

I tend to send the ones that are left after assigning them to useful jobs, straight to the military. Gives those useless bastards something to do xD

I would think that disabling aquifers is hindering the Dwarf Fortress experience, as you are getting rid of a fun challenge. Also, Dwarf Therapist is almost a necessity when you get more than 50 dwarfs, as it is really tricky to find the right one. I have only used it to find out who I need to change to a certain job after I finally built what they need, only to find I had switched them to a mason. After I find that person, I look at their name and find them myself in-game.

It's more in the spirit of Dwarf Fortress than removing a challenge like an aquifer.

Wait what? you think that lazy newb pack is fine and dorfy, but dwarf therapist isn't? disabling economy, liquid depth, aquifers, and various other challenges is fine, but a tool that lets you organize your dwarves is lazy?

Wait what? you think that lazy newb pack is fine and dorfy, but dwarf therapist isn't? disabling economy, liquid depth, aquifers, and various other challenges is fine, but a tool that lets you organize your dwarves is lazy?

I second this. At least Dwarf Therapist doesn't change anything in-game, unless if you tell it to actually schedule the tasks for you.

I only have LNP to allocate more CPU strength, disable the intro video, disable aquifers, and install a texture pack, none of that is considerably "newby", convenience is amazing, but when you use a program, to say, play a portion of the game, that's a tad bit silly. To elaborate, it would be if the mining turtles in the Tekkit mod package came with a ready and able mining AI, and were extremely cheap to make, and required nearly no work on your behalf. Or even better yet, those programs I see frequently that allow you to build without even opening minecraft. To wrap this point up, managing dwarfs is a core part of Dwarf Fortress, the dwarf therapist program detaches you from the immersion of the game, forcing you to exit Dwarf Fortress, and manage all your Dwarfs*, that in itself feels very odd and confusing. Now, to go back to the LNP, its never used beyond actually starting up the game, and you say disabling one portion of the game is newbie? I've tried, very hard to enjoy myself in DF while having that on, but I do not understand the challenge or point of them, not being able to dig past layer 3-5 is quite silly, and doesn't feel very Dwarvish. And I can see someone complaining about one using a texture pack, yes that is somewhat newbie, but I like actually seeing what things are, in this day and age I don't think anyone could complain about that. Allocating more CPU power... I could do that manually, sure, but as with Minecraft, making a small program to run before running Minecraft is not enjoyable at times. Disabling the intro... I've watched that thing around four hundred times, I do not want to watch it anymore.

* Edit, Reason; Forgot to add an "s" here.

Edit, Reason; Clarification, after re-reading this roughly three to four times, I have no idea how the mining turtle bit has anything to do with my argument, To better elaborate on it, is if you could do such things with a mining turtle, without even opening or playing minecraft, but by merely opening an external program.

I only have LNP to allocate more CPU strength, disable the intro video, disable aquifers, and install a texture pack, none of that is considerably "newby", convenience is amazing, but when you use a program, to say, play a portion of the game, that's a tad bit silly. To elaborate, it would be if the mining turtles in the Tekkit mod package came with a ready and able mining AI, and were extremely cheap to make, and required nearly no work on your behalf. Or even better yet, those programs I see frequently that allow you to build without even opening minecraft. To wrap this point up, managing dwarfs is a core part of Dwarf Fortress, the dwarf therapist program detaches you from the immersion of the game, forcing you to exit Dwarf Fortress, and manage all your Dwarfs*, that in itself feels very odd and confusing. Now, to go back to the LNP, its never used beyond actually starting up the game, and you say disabling one portion of the game is newbie? I've tried, very hard to enjoy myself in DF while having that on, but I do not understand the challenge or point of them, not being able to dig past layer 3-5 is quite silly, and doesn't feel very Dwarvish. And I can see someone complaining about one using a texture pack, yes that is somewhat newbie, but I like actually seeing what things are, in this day and age I don't think anyone could complain about that. Allocating more CPU power... I could do that manually, sure, but as with Minecraft, making a small program to run before running Minecraft is not enjoyable at times. Disabling the intro... I've watched that thing around four hundred times, I do not want to watch it anymore.

You don't have to settle on the aquifer. It's there to provide an extra challenge. Just like the areas that respawn corpses as zombies. If you can't find a place that you like because they are all taken by aquifers, spawn a new map. Also, you don't have to use DT to tell dwarfs what to do, you can also use it just to find who does what better, and then find them in your fortress. I use it and I still manually assign dwarfs to certain tasks. It's not taking anything away from the experience, just really helping you find that one dwarf who is hiding in a mass of others that is the best at... cheese making.

One might counter that finding a location without aquifers (or preparing to deal with them properly) is an important part of the game, and using an external program to do that is silly.

Dwarf therapist doesn't save you from managing your dwarves, it just gives you a GUI to do it in.

Maybe I over-reacted, I've never used DT myself because I thought it was silly. But I did not know this about Aquifers. They always seemed to be in my way, and there was nothing I could do about it, regardless, I find that portion of the game to be silly anyway, I already try to settle in deadly areas, and only live* above ground, mining only for resources. (I'm very masochistic on myself when I play games). Ignore what I've said, I'm a silly goose.

* Edit, Reason; Was "Love" Instead of "Live"

Maybe I over-reacted, I've never used DT myself because I thought it was silly. But I did not know this about Aquifers. They always seemed to be in my way, and there was nothing I could do about it, regardless, I find that portion of the game to be silly anyway, I already try to settle in deadly areas, and only live* above ground, mining only for resources. (I'm very masochistic on myself when I play games). Ignore what I've said, I'm a silly goose.

* Edit, Reason; Was "Love" Instead of "Live"

Aquifers aren't actually that hard to deal with. You can (at least you could a couple versions ago, i havent played recently) make pumps and pipes out of wood, and if you smooth aquifer walls, they stop producing water.

Aquifers aren't actually that hard to deal with. You can (at least you could a couple versions ago, i havent played recently) make pumps and pipes out of wood, and if you smooth aquifer walls, they stop producing water.

This is very valuable information, thank you. I never look on the wikia or anything, really, 100% self learned... I didn't believe you could just merely pump them out.

This is very valuable information, thank you. I never look on the wikia or anything, really, 100% self learned... I didn't believe you could just merely pump them out.

It isn't THAT easy. You have to pump the hole out while your masons go in and smooth the walls off.

Most of what i know i learned from Captain Duck.

It isn't THAT easy. You have to pump the hole out while your masons go in and smooth the walls off.

Most of what i know i learned from Captain Duck.

I know of him, he's an extraordinary individual, however, I still find that learning myself is very entertaining.

I know of him, he's an extraordinary individual, however, I still find that learning myself is very entertaining.

I learn the new stuff on my own, but starting fresh was simply too much submenu for my feeble little mind to process.

I haven't touched the game in 7 months, but I still remember every single sub-menu. I'm one of those fellows who plays without the menu on the side, just an open screen.

I haven't played since just before bees were added. All i remember is how to dig, channel, stockpile, make a drawbridge, and flood the first cavern with lava. i love volcano maps, they are absolutely my favorite.

I can't remember the last time I played Dorfs, but I think it was around the time of the no-sieges bug. I guess it's time to revisit it. Time for some afternoon-killing Fun.

I hated those days. May favorite DF activity is elf-antagonizing. (give the entire wilderness a nice solid hardwood floor. Gaurunteed elfsiege in one season.)