2.1 to 3.0 map conversion

joe5

hi,

I have been looking at the possibility of starting a small Tekkit server with a couple friends. since we are all very building oriented people world continuity is a fairly important factor and we were wondering whether maps generated under Tekkit 2.1 will be compatible with Tekkit 3.0. if not, is their anything that we could do to improve the chances of a successful conversion?

Thanks

The problem here is that the not only will there be block ID changes, the worlds will also be switching over to the new Anvil format. Previously it was half an hours work to verify the Technic teams list of block ids and copy them into my converter. Now it will actually require some proper work. It wouldn't be too difficult, but I don't intend to do it this time as I don't have a world I want to convert.

thank you for quick replies,

If i understand you correctly what you are saying is that the problem revolves around the need to convert both the map type and the block IDs. if we restricted mod use to mods guaranteed to appear in the next Tekkit would that allow the built in converter to make the transition or is it simply impossible without the use of a third party converter.

Actually Anvil shouldn't matter since you'd apply the block ID conversion before having the server load it and do its Anvil conversion. (But then it will matter in the future when we go to 4.0...)

I'll probably tweak your previous converter for my own server's world, and if you don't mind then I guess I could distribute that. I think it still remains to be seen what the final block ID list is though. For all we know they're leaving the block ID arrangement to last and the current 3.0.1 ones are still all wrong.

Actually Anvil shouldn't matter since you'd apply the block ID conversion before having the server load it and do its Anvil conversion. (But then it will matter in the future when we go to 4.0...)

Yep, I was expecting that some of the mods in Tekkit 3.0 would be using the added data layer for the block IDs which would mean the IDs would have to be changed after it was converted to Anvil. If they don't then I will probably update the converter myself.

I'll probably tweak your previous converter for my own server's world, and if you don't mind then I guess I could distribute that. I think it still remains to be seen what the final block ID list is though. For all we know they're leaving the block ID arrangement to last and the current 3.0.1 ones are still all wrong.

Of course, it's open source. but if you are just using it for personal use then midas gold would be a better choice as it wouldn't require changing any code. essentially they are the same program except the world converter has the correct translations hard coded in order to keep it as simple as possible.

edit:

thank you for quick replies,

If i understand you correctly what you are saying is that the problem revolves around the need to convert both the map type and the block IDs. if we restricted mod use to mods guaranteed to appear in the next Tekkit would that allow the built in converter to make the transition or is it simply impossible without the use of a third party converter.

Not really, I assumed that the mods in 3.0 would make use of the larger number of block IDs in anvil. If they don't then it can be converted by something like midas gold first then the inbuilt anvil converter will work.