Games these days?

Bmandk

Am I the only one who feels like pretty much all games aren't that great? There have been very few games with twists, like Minecraft, that differs from other games. Most games nowadays are continuations from earlier (WoW, Portal, Elder Scrolls etc) or just the same genre. This is in my opinion also why Minecraft made it so big, because it wasn't so mainstream with the whole RPG/FPS thingy. I'm getting tired of almost all games since they all kinda follow the same "rules" with interfaces and such. Kinda like OS, it's all with windows and such. Would be really cool if there was a new kind of computer OS which had a really nice twist. If anyone knows about games that don't follow these standard procedures, I'd love to know about them.

Are you unable to enjoy a really good hamburger, or lasagna, or turkey club, or chocolate ice cream, or any "standard" food, simply because that food has existed for so long, and everybody simply keeps tweaking it a little bit here and there, but otherwise, it's the same thing?

I usually just eat food because it's vital. Not to enjoy it. But besides that, there is a much wider variety in food than in game genres. They resemble each other too much, like MMORPG games all have pretty much the same HUD where you can put spells on actionbars and such.

That actually made me realize why most crappy games are so popular: Because the first games in their series are actually good, but then they get crappy but people still think they're good.

Exactly. It takes an effort to dredge up good games now.

Are you unable to enjoy a really good hamburger, or lasagna, or turkey club, or chocolate ice cream, or any "standard" food, simply because that food has existed for so long, and everybody simply keeps tweaking it a little bit here and there, but otherwise, it's the same thing?

You know what annoys me? The new "trendy" coffees nowadays. "Um yeah, give me a double cappucino mulagetto black with milk." WTF is this shit they're talking about? All those weird names for weird sorts of "coffee".

You know, OS's use taskbars (panels, docks, etc.), windows, menus, and such simply because they are the most efficient. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But yeah, games these days get repetitive really quickly. I liked Mass Effect though, mixing it up a bit, with RPG and shooter blended perfectly. Too bad EA got a hold of it.

I like repetition if it's done well. I remember when I was around 12-ish years old, I had a Rainbow Brite paint program on my Commodore 64. I used to use the spray-paint tool to make a screen filled with random black dots, and then I would go in with the pencil tool and individually click the rest of the pixels to black.

Yes, really.

Games seemed to be relatively good until around 2003-2005-ish. After that things went bad. I'm not sure how big impact did the new console generation have on it but I'd say it was pretty important. They tried attracting new crowds by dumbing down everything and often made MP be the only reasonable content. For me that likes a challenge and actually having to think while playing while also not being too fond of MP that was a bad thing.

There certainly have been decent games after that as well. Just that they often don't get wildly popular.

And a special note on WoW. I'd dare say it's the best MMO out there at the moment (GW2 might change it but I'm not holding by breath). Though being best doesn't really mean that it's actually good. It just means competition is even worse than WoW itself.

I grew up in the RPG golden era of the SNES. needless to say it's my favorite genre. I saw an article in gameinformer magazine a couple issues back about the "vanishing JRPG" and how they've all but dissapeared from consoles, most good ones now are on handheld systems like psp or pickups from the ps2 you can find in game stop. My xbox 360 library is limited to 3 games.

Borderlands, Just Cause 2, and Fallout 3. The times of a game requiring an epic storyline to be profittable seems to have died.

I'll be in the corner with my chrono trigger and .hack//

Number of listed games that are better on PC: 3
Default install size of Fallout 3 + DLC: ~8-10GB I believe

With a "bit" of tuning and mods: ~45GB.

It's basically the same game but in a form that is so immensely better than it's not even funny.

I used to have all three of current-gen consoles but pretty much the only things I ended up playing on them were the exclusives and a rare local MP thing. PC's are simply so vastly superior in every way. Before you bring in "but I can play on my couch!" then I can say I do that on my PC as well. All you need is willingness to build your setup.

Default install size of Fallout 3 + DLC: ~8-10GB I believe

With a "bit" of tuning and mods: ~45GB.

It's basically the same game but in a form that is so immensely better than it's not even funny.

I used to have all three of current-gen consoles but pretty much the only things I ended up playing on them were the exclusives and a rare local MP thing. PC's are simply so vastly superior in every way. Before you bring in "but I can play on my couch!" then I can say I do that on my PC as well. All you need is willingness to build your setup.

Or they say you can play it on a really big screen. And then you say, yeah, I can too. Although truth be told, I heard that plugging your computer into a TV screen gives horrible resolution, but I heard that about two years ago, so maybe it's better now.

I can stitch together four 2560x1600 monitors and would have around 17x more pixels on screen than your average console title. When taking CoD stuff to comparison, that runs at 1024x600 resolution the difference is even greater.

Also, whoever told you plugging your PC to TV gives you low resolution had no clue what they were talking about

I can stitch together four 2560x1600 monitors and would have around 17x more pixels on screen than your average console title. When taking CoD stuff to comparison, that runs at 1024x600 resolution the difference is even greater.

Also, whoever told you plugging your PC to TV gives you low resolution had no clue what they were talking about

Like I said, it was a few years ago, so that may have had a factor in it, and even then, it was only a casual mentioning of it, so I don't know what exactly they did, and it was also over a game chat, so there really weren't any details.

I grew up in the RPG golden era of the SNES. needless to say it's my favorite genre. I saw an article in gameinformer magazine a couple issues back about the "vanishing JRPG" and how they've all but dissapeared from consoles, most good ones now are on handheld systems like psp or pickups from the ps2 you can find in game stop. My xbox 360 library is limited to 3 games.

Borderlands, Just Cause 2, and Fallout 3. The times of a game requiring an epic storyline to be profittable seems to have died.

I'll be in the corner with my chrono trigger and .hack//

You should check out Shin Megami Tensei: Digital devil saga, and Nocturne. Both fantastic JRPGs. EDIT: I realize that i say that every time games are brought up, but they are just such amazing games, i cant help it.