[3.0.4] Dupe Bug With ComputerCraft Disk Drive

macc188

Question

The bug involves shift-clicking interactions with the Disk Drive. Shift-clicking an item out of the drive, and shift-clicking another item, will create a sort of 'ghost' version of the first item. The 'ghost' item will disappear when trying to stack or when held when attempting a right-click operation (whether it opening a GUI, or placing a block). The 'ghost' item will interact normally with GUI of blocks, and can be transmuted, macerated, store energy, burned, used in crafting recipes, etc.

A solution would be to disable the ComputerCraft Disk Drive.

19 answers to this question

This bug has always worked.

I thought i had banned disk drives but recently discovered that some players in my server got a hold of them and are happily using them. Many of them are really good at coding, and have tons of scripts on their disks. Now i have to take all of their programs away, and essentially prevent them from using computercraft, when they is the reason they are on my server in the first place.

I really wish there was a fix for this, i love computercraft but this glitch ruins my economy server :/

any known fixes yet?

This bug has always worked.

I thought i had banned disk drives but recently discovered that some players in my server got a hold of them and are happily using them. Many of them are really good at coding, and have tons of scripts on their disks. Now i have to take all of their programs away, and essentially prevent them from using computercraft, when they is the reason they are on my server in the first place.

I really wish there was a fix for this, i love computercraft but this glitch ruins my economy server :/

any known fixes yet?

I wish I could say you are the worst server owner I know of, but sadly, there are worse. Honestly, read what you just typed. You will disable a mod that many of your players love. A mod that has drawn players to your server because you allow it. All to protect your little economy system. I'm going to guess you have EE completely disabled, or else your economy is nonsensical. What is more important, your players having fun, or a few people depriving themselves of the tekkit experience and duping a few items?

As a side note, server run economies fail... miserably. The only way you're going to get a nice economy going is with player only trading.

One of my players suggested another option: disabling access to the drives by right-click but not banning the recipe, so they can still stick disks in and out using pipes or tubes.

I wish I could say you are the worst server owner I know of, but sadly, there are worse. Honestly, read what you just typed. You will disable a mod that many of your players love. A mod that has drawn players to your server because you allow it. All to protect your little economy system. I'm going to guess you have EE completely disabled, or else your economy is nonsensical. What is more important, your players having fun, or a few people depriving themselves of the tekkit experience and duping a few items?

As a side note, server run economies fail... miserably. The only way you're going to get a nice economy going is with player only trading.

Are you mad? Dupe glitches are NOT to be tolerated on any server. I'd say you are one of the worst owners I've met. I have a survival pvp semi-anarchy server so there's not really much an economy except for a group of 'honorables' that don't just take your shit and leave without paying the agreed price. This is not about economies, this is about an unfair exploit in the game. If you can't work your ass for a 24 diamond set of armor then you shouldn't be allowed to wear it to battle, no matter how easy or how hard a certain player might find that feat. I can find 2 stacks of diamonds in 20 minutes mining in the nether at layer 5 with a laser in Horizontal and I can find around 20 diamonds or so mining with a diamond pickaxe in vanilla in the same time, but I know players who are not that experienced are lucky to have one diamond in their one chest. With this glitch, a player can find 1 diamond and multiply it like Jesus multiplied bread and make infinite sets of armor.

Confirmed as a glitch. This needs to be fixed urgently

I'm afraid to report it at the CC forums because they're kinda assy about supporting the Bukkit port. I'm too lazy to install CC on a vanilla server and try it there.

So I went into some random server to speed-play with this glitch. I gave full quantumsuit armor to everyone that was on and I left a stash filled with HV solars, mass fabbys, uranium blocks, diamond blocks, etc. for people to find. Someone else might have brutally violated the map with 1 uranium and 1 dead creeper.

You are honestly just a grumpy asshole. Obviously you have never run a large successful economic server, and have no idea how dedicate players are to duping. My players all love me, and understand why i had to take away the drives until they are fixed. It’s not as if they weren't allowed to save all their files on a computer.

Economic servers are possible to run; my project for months has been to replicate the economic atmosphere similar to that of a runescape private server. I have run many runescape servers for years and the bare-bone skill system of the game allowed for a realistic, dynamic market to come naturally. I am trying to replicate that economy through the use of gambling, factions, taxes, web auctions, skills, staking, raiding, and domination. Many players get extremely addicted to my servers, and i have run into tremendous problems with a sole player find a duping glitch and spends days on end abusing it. This results in massive factions of quantum and red matter, they raid, pillage,grow, and ruin the economy on purpose. A glitch such as the disk drive is a full on duplication glitch, it has the same effect to a server as enabling the red matter furnace or alchemy chest. I have spent many hours removing every possible exploit from my server, and it wouldn't be worth it to allow a single duping glitch to stay after working hard to be solid.

It’s just my project, and I think I’m going to succeed. I’ve had years of experience with DECA and marketing/entrepreneur classes. I have studied in Human Resource Management and marketing demographic research, and am continuing my education in economics at the University of Washington.

You sir, know nothing of my project and have no right to make judgments of it.

I have run many runescape servers for years and the bare-bone skill system of the game allowed for a realistic, dynamic market to come naturally. I am trying to replicate that economy through the use of gambling, factions, taxes, web auctions, skills, staking, raiding, and domination.

Hmm, it appears this grumpy asshole was wrong. If what you are saying is true, you have succeeded where many, MANY, others have failed. Good job.

Any word on how to disable the disk drive?

On my server I basically had my devs write a plugin where it searches player inventories and removed any items that is on a predefined list, including disk drives. I find this the easiest way to remove unwanted items from player inventories, even if they manage to some how glitch banned items into the game.