Mechwarrior Online!

LazDude2012

• Forum Administrators

Free To Play is always equal to 'terrible nickle-and-diming pay-to-win bullshit' to me. I'm hopeful but I'm not too excited. I'll wait a few months after it drops to check it out.

Not always. Although I don't play it much anymore I think LoL has the F2P model down perfectly. All the micro transaction stuff is all cosmetic (and new heroes, but that can be earned through playing as well!)

• 3 months later...

I wish I could tell you that I'm in the beta, but there's a restriction on that. I wish I could tell you that you're not exactly missing that much, because it's a beta, and not quite finished, but there's a restriction on that too. I *really* wish I could tell you that it'll require a beast of a machine for its beautiful graphics, but that's already listed on their site. Also, thread necro much?

I'm going to play it when it comes out, unless I already am playing in the Beta (if I am, I'm not allowed to tell you you know ;D;D;D)

But going on what's publicly known, it seems to get awesome.

Free To Play is always equal to 'terrible nickle-and-diming pay-to-win bullshit' to me. I'm hopeful but I'm not too excited. I'll wait a few months after it drops to check it out.

This is true to some extent with all games that you can buy stuff in (and a lot of other games too, just that you have to pay your PC manufacturer rather than the game company); I think it's not that interesting if there's "pay to win" or not (because there always is), but rather to what degree. Some games manage to stay clear of the worst of the P2W curse, for example League of Legends, others are pure P2W. MWO seems to be decent enough in this respect in that money will only let you advance faster, not allow you to have any special stuff. From what I've heard there will be quite effective mechs that aren't that expensive, so with a little luck, it won't get the true curse of P2W.

• 2 weeks later...