Tower of Ys and decorating with microblocks, a Saga to styling.

Xylord

Good eve/morning, Technicians! I am here with you today, to present you my first public, and certainly most ambitious project as of now, the Tower of Ys!

02origin337.jpg

This beautiful piece of demonic architecture originates in the series of RPG's "Ys". Those excellent games usually center on a hero who has to go up in the tower, each level being a complex dungeon, and fighting multiple bosses on the way, all of this to get to the summit, usually the nest of the final boss. Thus, I was playing Ys : Origins lately, and the thought of the Tower transposed into MC passed through my mind. And ever since it did, I could simply not forget about it.

The first version of "The Tower of Ys" is finally up! After a good deal of sweat, and a bit of blood, I can finally present it to you :

Version 1.3.1 : http://www.mediafire.com/?pkr6g3wucti41i7

Ancient versions :

1.0.0 : http://www.mediafire.com/?7cddnervbof11w7

1.1.0 : http://www.mediafire.com/?l56c8x0k958tlh4

1.2.0 : http://www.mediafire.com/?waywu9mbw9mw4a0

Don't forget to comment and tell if there is anything ambiguous, strange, anything really!

Gallery :

8PdU4.png

fd4DL.jpg

gGZfe.jpg

aQL1c.png

This last one is my desktop :D

As I am writing those lines, I have yet to really start the hard part, but I am already done with the skeleton, of which I show you images right now.

Lawd that's high.

For precision, the lava is a temporary lighting measure, it will probably be replaced by a prettier and equally luminous material in the final version.

So, the plan is, to create a beautiful piece of minecraftian architecture, using Eloraam's microblocks in RP. However, I often feel like I lack a certain sense of "style", or "fashion". And that is where YOU come in action. I would like you, veterans of decoration, to give me tips and such to make the whole thing look good. For example, I thought it would be nice to have an alternation between marble and basalt bricks following the level of the tower, to make a kind of chess contrast. Is that a good idea? Or will it look horrible? The next thing I'd like help with is the actual content, or theme of the levels. What kind of crazy things can I fit into nine stages of awesome? Remember that' I'm using Technic, so I have all the resources of IC, RP, BC and such in my possession, so ask out. I am waiting impatiently for your posts. I am presently experiencing with the columns, to see what'll look the best. Your turn!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the chess/checkers idea... I'm not such a fan. Too much contrast and it'll make it look like tiles in an old kitchen or bathroom in my opinion. I'd suggest going for less obvious contrast, or if you want that kind of contrast, make the details light (Such as columns for structure or gargoylesque decorations. I don't think evenly placed tiles would 'fit' the theme.

Also, maybe have areas in the wall of the tower that are old and broken or even patched hastily with other materials? It'd give the tower some life and feel old and more dungeonlike.

Use dispensers with spawn eggs hooked up to a timer, instead of spawner blocks. Spawner blocks are unreliable at best, downright terrible at worst. And for decoration, I'd suggest going with a darker theme throughout the tower. Possibly alternate between basalt and basalt bricks? That might look fairly cool.

Thanks for the input guys!

So far :

IN7oC.jpg

5DfIA.png

Those are my experiments at making basalt bricks columns.

xgJza.jpg

I'm also wondering whether it's the bricks or the plain basalt that looks better for the columns... Anyway, I plan on changing the floor, to add more texture to it. I didn't think about the "ruined" aspect of the tower Adler, but it is a possibility. I'll see what it looks like to have some spots of mossy brick.

Also, don't worry, I never planned on using those disgusting spawners, they're far too annoying to use. However, It's pretty disappointing that there aren't eggs for the modded mobs.

Screw marble bricks, they're far too pure for a demonic tower. I'll try an alternation of stone bricks and basalt bricks for the general construction, and smooth basalt and smooth basalt in complement.

Supposedly, at one point there were eggs for every entity, such as boats/etc, so I assume the spawn eggs were actually generated rather than hard coded in (like mob spawners?)... at least at first, anyway; I don't know about now, who knows how they might have "fixed" the problem (apparently using boat spawn eggs caused crashes, for one). Note that this is all third-hand information so take it with a grain of salt, but it might still be possible to get any kind of spawn egg via perhaps NBT editing, if they exist of course.

Sorry for the slow answer! I wanted to have some things finished before posting again. Those things being the columns for the two first levels!

ZaaX6.jpg

The first level's ones are made of smooth cobalt, and the seconds, of polished stone slabs. I really can't wait to see how it'll look once I'm through all the way to the top.

Here's the first application of microblocks, the detail of the top and base of the columns. I might make it a bit more complex later on, I'll see.

YTrp8.png

gTBg3.png

The next levels are smaller, so I'll see how much I can get done today.

Finally, the columns are done! Now, it's probably going to get more technical. The brute work is done, and I now have to fill all those levels. I have some ideas of mine, but I will accept suggestions!

Here are them pics :

bF2RK.jpg

lvK9O.png

g1kXD.png

My opinion is probably biased, but I personally like how it looks... What about you?

It looks great. Are you looking for deathtraps to fill it with?

Nothing works better than tesla coils. :)

I didn't think about those... I wonder, is there any way I can precisely control their range? I have an idea, but they'd have to be really precise. Also, about how consuming are they? Let's say, a full msfu would keep one going for how long.

I also came up with a new one: TNT minecarts going through the tower on various tracks, the adventurer having to dodge them before they all explode.

Mmmh, the idea sounds good, but I wouldn't want to auto-grief my tower and make it un-doable, since I don't plan on using obsidian... Maybe it could do it for a blast finish?

An update : The plan for the first floor is finished. An images is worth a thousand words, so here they are!

2bcFn.jpg

Thismy first try at making a nice candelabrum using RP. Notice the bugginess of the textures make the fire invisible :P This is not normal, but I'm using the dev build, so I'm not surprised.

KFaVT.jpg

I present you Spawn-O-Tron 3000 Version 1.0.0! His eyes are dispensers, and he spawn mobs at regular intervals using redstone circuitry and wireless transmitters and receivers. You can also take a look at the floor, that I decorated using lapis microblocks. Under it is water.

waHDB.png

DDILV.png

This is the redstone circuitry I'm using up to now.

As always, if you have tips or comments, don't hesitate!

Wow. Using my dispenser idea, eh? I've loved it. I once zombied a whole village with 4 of these... even cooler with Ghasts. :)

Exactly! But I don't know how I'd do if it weren't for RP, it adds so many things that simplify circuitry.Redstone engineering got much less intimidating.

Right now, I'm building the contents of the fourth level.

I did it in pure vanilla. Use a redstone torch right next to the dispenser, then wire it to a redstone pulse clock. It looks like this: 2 blocks one apart, with torches on both sides of both blocks that are parallel. Then,put redstone on top of each block, and between the 2 pairs of torches. Wham-o! You've got 1-clock!

It looks excellent! Are you going to put skeletons on platforms (In a manner that their AI won't let them move) which will fire at the player? It'd be a simple trap that can be fairly easily disabled for some of the lower levels, I'd imagine.

I did it in pure vanilla. Use a redstone torch right next to the dispenser, then wire it to a redstone pulse clock. It looks like this: 2 blocks one apart, with torches on both sides of both blocks that are parallel. Then,put redstone on top of each block, and between the 2 pairs of torches. Wham-o! You've got 1-clock!

Hey, this works! But I doubt I could hide this very efficiently in Spawn-O-Tron 3000 Version 1.0.0, since as much as I know, there isn't anything like wireless transmitters in Vanilla. Also, Blazes are fun!

Edit :

It looks excellent! Are you going to put skeletons on platforms (In a manner that their AI won't let them move) which will fire at the player? It'd be a simple trap that can be fairly easily disabled for some of the lower levels, I'd imagine.

Thanks! I'n taking all ideas, and trying to create a dungeon as smooth as possible with them, and I guess your idea or "Skeleturrets" (I'm good at coming up with names) does work.

Hmm. If a person 'finishes' a level of the dungeon, will there be a way to disable the spawners/dispensers/traps without having to destroy them? A button to make a level safer so that a person may return to any bases he or she may have fairly safely. Then again, if you didn't want that sort of thing, or you would want a person to stay in after they enter, then perhaps a way to lock each level (Or every few levels) behind the adventurer? Of course each time you had a new locked area there could be a small rest area (Even if it's just a bed) so that if an adventurer died they wouldn't be permanently locked out of the tower.

EDIT: LazDude2012, I'd even go so far as to suggest sand, but hide or disguise it well enough so that an adventurer wouldn't be able to tell. Then if/when an Enderman removes a block (Even one that isn't sand) it'll fall. Although this would cause some issues such as if there are block changes on any level it may fall, and placing it may prove difficult.

Guys, I love your ideas, keep it coming!

Anyway, here's the application of Adlersch idea :

4EdzD.jpg

I plan on locking the path of the players behind them, yes. And of course, with rest areas. I like the Enderman idea, but it's a bit random, so much it's crual. I know it's not necessarily a bad thing, but this doesn't really involves anything other than being on the bad block at the bad moment. Still, I'll see if there's an application somewhere.

Looks great! Thanks for applying my idea even if it doesn't end up in the final build of the dungeon. Anyways, will a 'starter set' of equipment be given to people before/just as they enter the dungeon? It'd be much easier to control things and could help you better develop a concept of which things you want where if there are fewer possible variables.

Also, will this become a sort of 'adventure' with narration and all? I feel it has the potential to become one if you wanted to do so.

Looks great! Thanks for applying my idea even if it doesn't end up in the final build of the dungeon. Anyways, will a 'starter set' of equipment be given to people before/just as they enter the dungeon? It'd be much easier to control things and could help you better develop a concept of which things you want where if there are fewer possible variables.

Also, will this become a sort of 'adventure' with narration and all? I feel it has the potential to become one if you wanted to do so.

I don't give the set directly right at the start, the pieces are (Badly :P) hidden in the first level.

Also, at the start, I wasn't planning to make it a full-fledged adventure map, but I would of course love to bring my idea as far as possible. Plus, the Ys are games with an excellent storyline; I obviously can't make something as complex and amazing, but I could probably take some inspiration for the big lines.

Edit : I was wondering, if I was to spawn a mob in the tower, what are the conditions for him to despawn?