What to use instead of Quarry and Laser Drill?

badkruka

I have started a new world where I decided not to use quarry, laser drill and some other things I think is to OP.

I quickly realised how much I realy doesnt like to mine. :)

So for now I probably will go with programing mining turtle/s to do it. But the problem with that are they will leave big wholes that you can refill but not that intressted in that solution.

Then I realised that I can create diamonds from trees using minium stone and accualy get some charges over to be able to create other stuff. Not the most efficient way but it works so I am gonna try and see how I best can "missuse" that to create ores from trees. :)
But there is still alot of ores I can't create using minium stone. So here I would like to get some help with tips how you can create stuff without mining and not using Laser Drill.

Would be realy nice if there is a possible ways to replace Laser Drill with other solutions and completly make mining obsolete like Laser Drill does. :)

Obsidian Generator with Lava and Gelid Cryotheum, and an EE3 chain to turn it into Iron, Gold and Diamond. Turtles for everything else, and that's about it. You could still try creating a Mystcraft Age with dense ores, but that is tricky to get stable. Also, it is only an easier source of ores, not a method to get them.

Apart from that, Mekanism Digital Miner, or Magical Crops on an MFR autofarm patched to support them. Both Mekanism and Magical Crops are not in Tekkit.

• ComputerCraft turtles (the 'tunnel x' or the 'excavate x' default commands)
  • a setup of mining wells + power source moved by Redstone In Motion frames
  • a setup of block breakers/terrain smashers moved by Redstone in Motion frames
  • a moving (RIM again) ME network with transition planes as the block breaking header
Edited by bochen415

Too bad twilight forest or blood magic weren't in this.  both have interesting ways too gather ores.(mining tree and ritual of magnetism)

Otherwise, you could get convoluted with iron pickaxes in autonamous activators and more these using RIM frames.  You'd only need something to pick up the dropped items that are mined up the activators.

Edited by jakalth

Magical crops seems intresting. I guess that what Sky Factory 2 are using for ore generating. Maybe it's something for Tekkit aswell for aditional ore generating. I always go for Laser Drill for ore generating since I realy doesnt like quarry or mining. Farming crops for ore could realy be intressting aproach to get the ore you whant.

I'm using Magical Crops in a custom modpack and it works fine for me. It takes a lot of work up front, and you can choose what to grow, so no useless random shit piling up like with the other solutions (except for the Digital Miner).

But I think that the hate squad will hate it for the same reasons it hates Equivalent Exchange. Not that there is any merit in that, but haters gonna hate. So chances are maybe not high for it to be included.

As for those Redstone In Motion solutions: May work, but in absence of a proper mod API, mods like RIM will always remain very clunky and awkward to use. Not to mention that RIM carriages tend to tear up the landscape far worse even than Quarries.

To me, the holy trinity of tech mods right now is the CoFH complex (Thermal Expansion, Foundation and whatnot), Ender IO and Mekanism. Any tech pack that lacks either of them is sadly outdated, or not a tech pack at all.

Edited by Curunir

I realy think that magic crops have a place in Tekkit since it should have good synergy with planter/harvester, farming turtle and Steve's Carts. It is not a gamebreaker in anyway and it is so optional that it's so easy not to use in game if you doen't like it.

When it comes to custom mods I haven't got a singel clue how it works and because of life I can't take the time to learn so I'm stuck with modpacks how they come. :)

Well, there are plenty of custom modpacks on the launcher. Once we get our private pack sorted and find a good host, we may publish ours as well. It's 1.7.10-based, and has all of the abovementioned mods, and more.

If you are adventurous and want to add it to Tekkit yourselves, keep in mind that MFR doesn't properly support Magical Crops right now. So you need an additional small compatibility mod for it to work with a Planter/Harvester setup.

I realy think that magic crops have a place in Tekkit since it should have good synergy with planter/harvester, farming turtle and Steve's Carts. It is not a gamebreaker in anyway and it is so optional that it's so easy not to use in game if you doen't like it.

The general trend in modpack making is to have only one way to gather resources.

• modpacks with standard terrain generation - ores from underground - mining (by hand, BC quarry, Mek Digital Miner, ExU Ender Quarry, frame mods etc.)
  • modpacks with limited or without terrain generation (skyblock) - other ways (MFR Laser Drill, ExNihilio sieves, Magical Crops farming, Fluxed Crystals farming etc.)

The general trend in modpack making is to have only one way to gather resources.

• modpacks with standard terrain generation - ores from underground - mining (by hand, BC quarry, Mek Digital Miner, ExU Ender Quarry, frame mods etc.)
  • modpacks with limited or without terrain generation (skyblock) - other ways (MFR Laser Drill, ExNihilio sieves, Magical Crops farming, Fluxed Crystals farming etc.)

Doesn't mean that Tekkit must be that aswell. ;)

Since you place Laser Drill in limited and Tekkit already have that only makes a stronger case for magical crop to be added to Tekkit. :)

Since ore gathering is just a small part of the game and not even a hard part, magical crops is still not gonna affect the game play that much and it will only give the players more options to gather ores.

I have noticed when you make large holes in the world I start to get x-ray problems on those areas. That is one of the reasons I realy don't like quarry and go for laser drill as fast as I can.

You are still more likely to find Magical Crops in "kitchen-sink modpacks", i.e. huge inclusionist packs that throw in everything and the proverbial kitchen sink. I recall that it was in Big Dig back in the day, another notable sighting has been in FTB Monster.

Another thing. You are not talking to Tekkit devs here. Even if you were, arguing with them that way is very unlikely to yield the result you want.

I have noticed when you make large holes in the world I start to get x-ray problems on those areas. That is one of the reasons I realy don't like quarry and go for laser drill as fast as I can.

Disable advanced opengl and check again

• 3 weeks later...

I know you mentioned not wanting to use the mining turtle because of the enormous hole it leaves behind, but you can do what i do and simply dig under the ground a bit and leave the top 10 or so levels of ground above in tact - preserving the terrain, and making your very own 'hollow world'