im worried if the launcher is a scam and takes your password, can anyone help me?

yoshibestfan

Question

Launcher Version: i dont know

Operating System: i dont know

Java Version: i dont know

Antivirus Program: i dont wanna lose my minecraft account can someone tell me if the username and password in the launcher is a scam and changes ur password.

Description of Problem:

i dont wanna lose my minecraft account can someone tell me if the username and password in the launcher is a scam and changes ur password.

Error Messages:

Error Log:

13 answers to this question

for a more concrete answer, the launcher is open source. if you are interested in just what it's doing with your login info, you can head over to git hub and take a look. hell, you can compile it yourself from there if you are truly concerned.

Short answer - no.

However if you are really that concerned I suggest you remove the ethernet cable from your PC. It's generally blue and where it plugs into the back (or front) of your pc will be a couple of little flashing lights.

I suggest you then take this cable and dispose of it thoughtfully... Ta Da! no more risk of password theft. ;)

Paging jakj to this thread. Treatise on the insecurity of java needed.

the problem jakj has with the launcher, and this is not limited to the technic launcher, is the way it stores your login info if you choose to do so combined with the fact that mods can do anything they want. your lastlogin file isn't exactly heavily encrypted and it would be trivial to include code in an otherwise legit mod to steal that file and send it to whoever you want, effectively stealing that account. it's not really a java security issue so much as a stupid way of storing important and sensitive data, put in place by notch.

Short answer - no.

However if you are really that concerned I suggest you remove the ethernet cable from your PC. It's generally blue and where it plugs into the back (or front) of your pc will be a couple of little flashing lights.

I suggest you then take this cable and dispose of it thoughtfully... Ta Da! no more risk of password theft. ;)

LOL thats the funniest thing ive heard in a while.

The point is that this program is as much a security risk as anything else on the internet. if you don't like the risk, don't use the internet!