BuildCraft + IndustrialCraft = Solar Panel Factory, Freezes the server!

Today I've finally managed to complete my solar panel factory, I stayed about 30 minutes after its completion to check if it was working properly then logged out of minecraft. Unfortunately I cannot when I tried to log back into my server, either I couldn't log at all, or I could and it was freezing for 5 minutes, and playable for 1 sec.

Apparently my Solar Panel Factory froze off the server pretty badly, and I can't even reach it to deactivate it.

Is there any way to lessen the lag so I would have a chance to reach the button to deactivate the process?

Ok, you'll be happy to know (or you won't care) that I've gathered all the courage I could find and managed to walk to the factory and thanks to the void ring clean up the mess I've set up, now time to build some "cleaners" (Alchemical Chest + Void Ring) and let's restart!

Wendo is correct. I know people love using buildcraft. It's a very easy way to build a factory but in the end, you'll wish you had just used redpower to do it. The tube handling is loads better and the machine overall will produce less lag than if you were to use buildcraft.

Nolagg comes in pretty darn handy for this situation as it will buffer items that do overflow and only allow certain amount per chunk to actually be pickup able the rest go into to ram which will be cleared if xx time passes to garbage cleanup. However if you pickup or clean some of the item stacks up then the ones left in buffer will start to appear again, essentially it just handles items on the ground better way as to not cause any serious side effects from massive amounts of item spilling.

The other very neat thing about this is that u can run a command to auto clean up every single item on ground caused by this. You probably wont get this issue again and still use build craft pipes if u set a limit like I have to about 30 item stacks max in any chunk at any given time.

Reason this stacks a lot better as well is because it will merge any of the same item in a defined radius into one single stack that can stack above the items legit stack amount and as u walk over the item it may be in a stack of over 3000 but only shows 5 items hovering and u pick it up in normal stacks of 64 or what ever the normal stack size is for that item.

I would not even consider running build craft without this plugin.

Nolagg comes in pretty darn handy for this situation as it will buffer items that do overflow and only allow certain amount per chunk to actually be pickup able the rest go into to ram which will be cleared if xx time passes to garbage cleanup. However if you pickup or clean some of the item stacks up then the ones left in buffer will start to appear again, essentially it just handles items on the ground better way as to not cause any serious side effects from massive amounts of item spilling.

The other very neat thing about this is that u can run a command to auto clean up every single item on ground caused by this. You probably wont get this issue again and still use build craft pipes if u set a limit like I have to about 30 item stacks max in any chunk at any given time.

Reason this stacks a lot better as well is because it will merge any of the same item in a defined radius into one single stack that can stack above the items legit stack amount and as u walk over the item it may be in a stack of over 3000 but only shows 5 items hovering and u pick it up in normal stacks of 64 or what ever the normal stack size is for that item.

I would not even consider running build craft without this plugin.

It's a work around though. With redpower, you don't have to worry about this issue because you can withdraw exact amounts using filters and retrievers.

Let's take a smaller scale example: A circuit machine.

We have our material sources of iron, redstone, copper, and resin. These can be fed a number of ways ranging from manually to just having them auto-create using EE. It's up to you.

Filters hooked up to each chest except we can get away with a transposer on the iron chest since we only need 1 iron. The filters will extract the following: 2 resin, 3 copper, and 2 redstone.

Tubes will carry the resin to an extractor (preferably with upgrades to avoid backup) which will create a total of 6 rubber and send it to a crafting table with the copper. 3 copper, 6 rubber = 6 insulated copper wire. That is sent to another crafting table by way of transposer. The next crafting table will be our final crafting table where the redstone was already sent along with the iron that was run through an oven (either electric or blulectric). From here we have our circuit made with precision.

Setting up redpower wires is simple as we're going to have a rapid circuit run everything -except- the filters and transposer that handle material distribution. Those are handled separately either by button or some other way of 'activation'. That activation will also go to an OR gate which is hooked up to a toggle gate next to the rapid timer which handles the bulk of machinery tables. The on/off switch can be handled a few ways, either manually, by computer program, or even have an auto shutoff using the item detector, which will send a pulse to the OR gate turning off the previously turned on rapid timer.

Now, it seems complex, but only because I'm typing it. But given that circuits are the BANE OF MY EXISTENCE this machine was a godsend. You can also set up a submachine to take completed circuits and turn them into advanced circuits by just running it through a crafting table and applying the appropriate lapis, glowstone, and redstone by using the same automatic start/stop method.

Interesting process but don't you require a Crafting Table III for that to work, If I am not mistaken Automated crafting has some pretty nasty dupe issues. Also not every server has EE2 installed either. Right now our server is not using Table III.

But yes it is a workaround I was just suggesting alternative ideas since nobody else did and he might want to keep build craft but may just want to not be a fest of lag.

The only dupe issues I know of are EE related (RM furnace and void ring in an alch bag).

Crafting Table 3 sucks. I never use it. I just stick to project tables for manual crafting and Automated Crafting Table Mk 2 for the automatic stuff. I've not noticed -any- duplication in items.

I only mentioned EE in passing, it's definitely not required by any means. I personally use condensers because it's an easy source of material, but there are other means just as easily to get those resources.

The only dupe issues I know of are EE related (RM furnace and void ring in an alch bag).

Crafting Table 3 sucks. I never use it. I just stick to project tables for manual crafting and Automated Crafting Table Mk 2 for the automatic stuff. I've not noticed -any- duplication in items.

I only mentioned EE in passing, it's definitely not required by any means. I personally use condensers because it's an easy source of material, but there are other means just as easily to get those resources.

Yea Sorry it is Table III that has some Dupe issues, Automated Table is fine. I'm debating if I even need Buildcraft installed at all myself because RedPower does what I wanted which was to just to provide nice transportation for items around in pipes and all of that lovey stuff. Though I will need to to some deep checking with Buildcarft items to find out what is useful and what is not.

There is only one thing that redpower can't do what buildcraft does and that's the whole builder thing which I've never used other than to see what it did. The one thing that buildcraft does easier than redpower is the quarry. With redpower, you have to actually build the mechanics of the quarry using frames, block breakers, motors, etc. Buildcraft you just need to build a block and power it, which is pretty easy. It's why I typically associate buildcraft with 'easy mode' engineering.

• 2 weeks later...

It might not be a bad idea. Buildcraft has a lot of potential to hork up a server. It's also a great way to get into the engineering aspect, as in it's easy to assemble a machine to meet your needs. Redpower does the same thing but it requires a bit more finesse and planning.

I built a MV solar panel factory on my server that causes little lag. The way I deal with overflow is to use the advanced insertion pipe + a teleport pipe that teleports excess items to recyclers by the crafting tables where stuff overflows.

The problem with using Red power for auto crafting tables is that it isn't intelligent enough to alternate the positions for cables in the electronic circuit. That is, it'll have to build up 64 cables in 5 of the 6 slots before it crafts anything. RP is good if you only have 1-2 items that have to be in the crafting table (like the refined iron/redstone in a circut) but otherwise, buildcraft is better for auto crafting tables.

I built a MV solar panel factory on my server that causes little lag. The way I deal with overflow is to use the advanced insertion pipe + a teleport pipe that teleports excess items to recyclers by the crafting tables where stuff overflows.

The problem with using Red power for auto crafting tables is that it isn't intelligent enough to alternate the positions for cables in the electronic circuit. That is, it'll have to build up 64 cables in 5 of the 6 slots before it crafts anything. RP is good if you only have 1-2 items that have to be in the crafting table (like the refined iron/redstone in a circut) but otherwise, buildcraft is better for auto crafting tables.

The fix for this is to use a chest or an RP buffer instead of sending items straight into the crafting table. The crafting table can pull items from a chest, so you don't have to worry about the tube screwing up your recipe. I prefer buffers, since they won't allow a single item to fill the chest. Just make sure the output face of the buffer is touching your crafting table, and then use a wooden pipe to pull the items out straight into another chest or a relay to put them back into your tube network.

No?

I don't understand your problem here. In most cases I've got redpower machines building stacks of items at a time that can even have a singular trigger. That meaning, I press a button and I'll get a stack of an item and the machine turns itself off until triggered on again.

For more complex things like solar power arrays, I can see how things might get tricky, but it's nothing some planning and elbow grease can't handle.

As for your problem with the crafting table, just put a transposer over it and feed it to a buffer like Buccaneer suggested. Then have a retriever pulling items from the buffer, or filter if you're not wanting to go the blulectric route.

The thing about buildcraft is that it's simple which is great for beginners and it's the only reason I'm not voting for the removal of buildcraft altogether. But you reach limits with buildcraft and sometimes players reach limits of understanding. You need to elevate your way of thinking with redpower because it's far more complex, which means you can build far more complex and accurate machinery.

As for your problem with the crafting table, just put a transposer over it and feed it to a buffer like Buccaneer suggested. Then have a retriever pulling items from the buffer, or filter if you're not wanting to go the blulectric route.

You'll still need a wooden pipe though, since I don't think transposers or filters will pull the completed items out of the crafting table. It's a buildcraft machine, you need a buildcraft wooden pipe/engine to actually cause the crafting.

Input items > Buffer directly next to crafter -> crafter -> wooden pipe/engine combo -> relay/other output item. I like relays because they will automatically dump anything that hits them back into your tube network. A regular chest is fine too though, if you're not adding more steps, or are pulling from the chest in some other way.

One problem I found using nolagg is if I broke a gold or diamond chest and had the 'allowable stacks per chunk' set too low, it would delete the overflow. Really not cool losing stacks of ore. lol I disabled that feature. I do use the 'autostack on the ground' feature though. Very nice.

You'll still need a wooden pipe though, since I don't think transposers or filters will pull the completed items out of the crafting table. It's a buildcraft machine, you need a buildcraft wooden pipe/engine to actually cause the crafting.

Input items > Buffer directly next to crafter -> crafter -> wooden pipe/engine combo -> relay/other output item. I like relays because they will automatically dump anything that hits them back into your tube network. A regular chest is fine too though, if you're not adding more steps, or are pulling from the chest in some other way.

Why are you using buildcraft pipes at all? Automatic Crafting Table MkII works with redpower tubes, has a built in buffer to store overflow items, and is far superior to anything related to buildcraft.

Well, I wasn't familiar with that item. I have mostly played SSP on the dev builds, and I don't think it's in there.

Is the ACT Mk2 in tekkit? That's what I'm playing now. If I can ditch buildcraft entirely, I would love to do so.

Yes it is and it is beautiful. Just remember to pipe materials in through the bottom and have them pulled out from the top.

The fix for this is to use a chest or an RP buffer instead of sending items straight into the crafting table. The crafting table can pull items from a chest, so you don't have to worry about the tube screwing up your recipe. I prefer buffers, since they won't allow a single item to fill the chest. Just make sure the output face of the buffer is touching your crafting table, and then use a wooden pipe to pull the items out straight into another chest or a relay to put them back into your tube network.

wow why didn't I think of that. That would get rid of my overflow problems. It's kinda too late now since I've already built it, but in the future I could use that method. thanks for the info.

Why to use buildcraft pipes in order to achieve speed to prevent overflow when you can add up 10 or more golden pipes that will boost up the speed and overflow is completely removed, and also the speed of traveling is greatly increased