How Much Lag Does BuildCraft Actually Cause?

I'm considering banning buildcraft on my upcoming server, but I feel I will miss the beautiful animations of engines. Especially since it's a steampunkish server, I'd love to be able to make redstone engine arrays pumpin' away water through the city. Still, I'd planned on banning quarries anyway, and if the pipes cause lag too there's not too much to keep it for. Except the pump. Is there some other equivalent to the pump that can be used to collect/move liquids in any of the other mods?

I'm considering banning buildcraft on my upcoming server, but I feel I will miss the beautiful animations of engines. Especially since it's a steampunkish server, I'd love to be able to make redstone engine arrays pumpin' away water through the city. Still, I'd planned on banning quarries anyway, and if the pipes cause lag too there's not too much to keep it for. Except the pump. Is there some other equivalent to the pump that can be used to collect/move liquids in any of the other mods?

I know there's a IC2 pump, but I haven't touched it yet.

I know there's a IC2 pump, but I haven't touched it yet.

Yeah I know about the IC2 pump, but it seems it doesn't actually move liquids, just inserting them into cells (and maybe buckets?). I could of course do a pump->cell->tubes->geothermal, but it seems like an awful lot of work (needing brass and so on for even basic function). And I don't know how one would drag the item out of the pump, though I'm sure it's possible.

There are RP pumps, but like most redpower stuff takes some effort to setup and works a little different then Buildcraft pumps also as it move source blocks from one location to another instead of into tanks.

I'll look into that!

It would have the effect that geothermal generators go from early to late energy source, which in some ways might be good for a steampunkish setting where I'd like wind and water to actually get used (and where nuclear and solar is banned). On the other hand, I'll miss it! :(

Yeah I know about the IC2 pump, but it seems it doesn't actually move liquids, just inserting them into cells (and maybe buckets?). I could of course do a pump->cell->tubes->geothermal, but it seems like an awful lot of work (needing brass and so on for even basic function). And I don't know how one would drag the item out of the pump, though I'm sure it's possible.

I'll look into that!

It would have the effect that geothermal generators go from early to late energy source, which in some ways might be good for a steampunkish setting where I'd like wind and water to actually get used (and where nuclear and solar is banned). On the other hand, I'll miss it! :(

I can see the point with solars since the HV panels are ridiculously powerful, but nuclear energy, banned? D: I wouldn't do that, I know for sure that I wouldn't go somewhere reactors are completely banned. Just a tip, don't feel forced, but I don't think it's necessary.

Thanks for your input, but it's not about power, more about flavor! It's going to be a medium-powered steampunkish server, so stuff wildly out of flavour won't be in. No mining lasers, no nuclear reactors, no computers, no solar panels, very little EE. A stripped-down tekkit, simply. I'm not aiming towards having a huge server, if I get 5-10 people I'm satisfied and as I've already got three who's on board it's probably not going to be hard!

No nuclear reactors and other certain streamlined power sources will mean huge power plants and generally huge buildings, which feels very fitting. One drawback is that thermopile is going to be the only redpower power source since there are no converters, which is a bit sad, but hey, can't have everything. :)

Still, since this'll be my first "real" server, any input is very welcome :)

To disable all of BC, you need to remove 3 zips from your mods folder: BC, AdditionalPipes, and PowerConverters.

Yeah, pretty much what pherce said.

I have disabled it on my upcoming hardcore zombie apocalypse mod. EE and Buildcraft are dead to me.

We use Residence as plugin with the idea that players can only place machines inside their own residence. This means that they can't build quarries outside their own land. This prevents them to put them all over the world.

As for lag. It is not just buildcraft that can cause lag. I also agree with others that in general, it is the implementation by the player of buildcraft that usually cause lag.

Like huge diamond pipe sorting facilities that handle the 1 by 1 blocks from several quarries/forestry farms. There is always a chest they forget about where blocks are overflowing.

But we also had a problem with a player that decided to go the rp2 route. And put timers down for his filters and retrievers, but not close together. So he had ridiculously long constantly blinking rp2 redwire all over the place. To farms, quarries, apiaries. The lag was so bad that I was kicked out of the game all the time when visiting his residence to check what the fuck he was doing. The moment we stopped the timers it was gone. Then I explained to him that he could also place timers at the farms/quarries and control in his base. We replaced loads of filters with a couple of retrievers, because those filters were just used to empty chests. Also explained about regulators, so that he could create an on demand system where timers aren't constantly running. This guy is great for testing our server to the extreme :p

• 2 months later...