If I may be so bold...

Lothos

I was wondering about the status of millenaire and betterdungeons. I understand they were dropped due to lag issues? Is this a permanent drop? Is it a pre MC1.3 reasoning with the SMP compatibility mandate? This isn't another SS case is it?

As of right now they were dropped because it compromised the pack. You are free to dump them back in if you'd like, it should be almost completely painless.

oh, I know I can. I'm just not ready to deviate from plain technic atm. Been learning EE today and having fun. Millenaire was interesting, but I didn't take it for much beyond a place to throw mining waste. I did want to explore better dungeons more, that was cool.

I found that BetterDungeons made everything far too easy. I managed to get 64 iron BLOCKS and 64 diamonds in only a few hours of play, focusing on raiding dungeons.

I like Millénaire, but it doesn't half cause lag.. >_< (Though, it's one of my favourite mods.. it's a bit "intrusive" for Technic/Tekkit, also the reason why I deleted ThaumCraft from my mods folder.)

• Forum Administrators

Why IS Thaumcraft in the technic pack? It's more a magical mod, and so is Mystcraft (which I have no idea how to even start there..)

Because its rad as hell? Because it looks great, plays great, adds depth and is build wonderfully? Azanor is a total bro?

You made they very classic mistake of seeing 'Technic' and going 'ONLY TECHNICAL'. Thaumcraft is just as technical as IC2 and RedPower, it just deals in Vis instead of electricity. Jumping boots instead of jetpacks. Void portals instead of teleporters.

Because its rad as hell? Because it looks great, plays great, adds depth and is build wonderfully? Azanor is a total bro?

You made they very classic mistake of seeing 'Technic' and going 'ONLY TECHNICAL'. Thaumcraft is just as technical as IC2 and RedPower, it just deals in Vis instead of electricity. Jumping boots instead of jetpacks. Void portals instead of teleporters.

I would go further to say Thaumcraft is oftentimes more technical than IC2 or RedPower, since you have to research almost 2/3 of the mod. Not to mention you have to manage toxic waste/radiation (Aura vs. Taint), which in IC2 and RedPower there's no worry of smog or many environmental effects apart from 'pump damage' to water and lava lakes, nuclear meltdown (Nukes or reactors), and exploding machines, all of which have comparatively small effects as opposed to a taint covering 20-30 chunks because you sucked all the vis out of the world.

Also the Thaumcraft visuals are just amazing in Minecraft terms, Azanor could have made just another few ore blocks for the vis crystals, but no he made actual transparent crystals which grow over time. If that is not Technical enough for you, there is a Thaumic Generator to convert Vis to EU or MJ or Bluetricity.

I dislike ThaumCraft for completely different reasons - it's not possible to ignore the mod if you don't want to use it. Eventually, corruption WILL spread throughout your world, and you'll have no way to stop it unless you research TC stuff, which costs loads of materials. >_<

Though, I have noticed something. Technic seems to be "Technical stuff with sprinkles" (Since when was Treecapitator technical?) while Tekkit seems to be "Technical stuff ONLY" - I guess I prefer Tekkit for that reason.

I've often thought, despite the technic name, that the 'magical' mods added a huge amount of fun. I wish that there were MORE magical mods. I wish that tekkit had more magical mods too, because I'd love to see a magic vs science battle server. IC2 vs Thaumcraft, perhaps using mystcraft ages as 'parallel dimensions'. You'd need "technical" mods, like IC2 and Railcrat, vs Magical mods like Thaumcraft, and whatever mod lets you do the runes on the ground. You'd also have some 'neutral' mods like Redpower, to allow balance.

You might have to tweak some stuff, and maybe add or remove some mods to make it work and be balanced. Equivalent exchange would probably have to be nerfed to uselesness. I might poke around and see if I can come up with some list of mods that would be fun to pit against eachother.

I agree with buc. Currently there's not enough "magic" on tekkit for a science vs magic battle really. As it stand right now at least on my server is IC/BC vs EE with both sides being allowed RP and RC usage. I think TC is needed to add some balance back to the magic side.

Now if you could only throw MoCreatures and Betterdungeons into tekkit you'd have a rip snortin good time :)

Now if you could only throw MoCreatures and Betterdungeons into tekkit you'd have a rip snortin good time :)

Mo' Creatures works fairly well, though it's a tiny bit glitchy. They may (possibly, I really have no idea) be putting it in at some point. I stress the may.

Mo' Creatures works fairly well, though it's a tiny bit glitchy. They may (possibly, I really have no idea) be putting it in at some point. I stress the may.

I saw you mention that elsewhere. I think if we get to a good science vs magic balance in tekkit/technic it would really play into it having a more hostile environment. I'd almost go as far as thinking millenaire, but I think its more lag intensive in its current form. to really cope.

I saw you mention that elsewhere. I think if we get to a good science vs magic balance in tekkit/technic it would really play into it having a more hostile environment. I'd almost go as far as thinking millenaire, but I think its more lag intensive in its current form. to really cope.

Yeah, a good balance almost needs Thaumcraft, but I don't think that dream will ever come true. I'm looking forward to Azanor's future work with his new mod, as well as EE3 when it comes out, supposedly better balanced for SMP.

Personally, I hate Mo' Creatures as it replaces the awesome b1.8.1 spawning with the outdated b1.7.3 spawning. >_> It still feels like the same mod it was back in Alpha. Hasn't evolved at all, and I feel like I'm stuck in the past when using it, so I disable it.

I'd actually love a "Magic VS Technic" thing to go on, but I would like a seperate "Technic only" pack if that ever happens. Like I previously stated, I don't like the purple corruption corrupting the world in ThaumCraft when I'm trying to make electrical machinery.

Also, BetterDungeons needs SERIOUS balancing. It's nearly as OP as EE.

Yeah, a good balance almost needs Thaumcraft, but I don't think that dream will ever come true. I'm looking forward to Azanor's future work with his new mod, as well as EE3 when it comes out, supposedly better balanced for SMP.

So what are Azanor's plans for Thaumcraft and other mods? I would love to see an SMP Thaumcraft, but I'm sure any mod he makes will be amazing.

I've played heavy into both sides now and I seriously don't get where people think EE is so OP over the IC/BC/RC side. There's just as much power and capability on the machine side of the modpack as there is coming out of EE.

If only they would add mechs, power armor, chain guns, etc... to the science side then everyone would be all over that in a heartbeat.

I think in all, minecraft needs at its heart more creatures/dangers in the world. I'm talking at the vanilla level. It needs that feel you get like when playing terraria. Bosses, dungeons, scary as shit night time. I think without that its really more a box of legos than anything else.

I think in all, minecraft needs at its heart more creatures/dangers in the world. I'm talking at the vanilla level. It needs that feel you get like when playing terraria. Bosses, dungeons, scary as shit night time. I think without that its really more a box of legos than anything else.

I agree. You'd need a tiny bit of warning when you're walking into the dragon's lair, though.

Also, BetterDungeons needs SERIOUS balancing. It's nearly as OP as EE.

Dont really get how this is the case unless you really take the piss and build a quarry over the dungeon or just tunnel around the mobs and traps. If you actually play the dungeon I find its pretty difficult even in enchanted diamond armour. I really like the mod it gives the player something to do other than building for the sake of building and the rewards are worth it unless you're using EE.

I agree. You'd need a tiny bit of warning when you're walking into the dragon's lair, though.

heh, speaking of dragons...the END isn't even anywhere NEAR as tough/dangerous as it should be really. I mean if anything I'm more scared of the nether than the end.